Stephen R.H. Lewis
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Greenville, South CarolinaPatrick, Lewis & Watts, P.A.
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, General Litigation, Medical Malpractice
Licensed in South Carolina since: 1989
Education: University of South Carolina School of Law
Patrick, Lewis & Watts, P.A.211 Pettigru Street
Greenville, SC 29601 Visit website
Stephen R.H. Lewis is an attorney at Patrick, Lewis & Watts, P.A., located in Greenville, South Carolina. Focusing his practice primarily on personal injury and wrongful death litigation, he provides representation to people throughout the state who have been harmed due to the negligence of other parties. In addition, Mr. Lewis assists business and individual policyholders whose claims have been denied in bad faith by their insurance companies. Admitted to practice in South Carolina, he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
The types of cases that Mr. Lewis has handled in his personal injury practice have arisen out of automobile collisions, medical malpractice, premises liability and nursing home negligence. During his career, he has been able to obtain many sizable jury awards and negotiated settlements on behalf of his clients, and this has led to his membership in both the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. His successful track record has led to other recognition from his colleagues as well. The recipient of an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell, Mr. Lewis has been named to the American Trial Lawyers Top 100, has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America each year since 2008, and the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) since 2009. In addition, he has been listed as one of South Carolina's Top 100 Lawyers by the American Society of Legal Advocates.
A graduate of the University of South Carolina, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts in 1986, Mr. Lewis obtained his legal education at the University of South Carolina School of Law and received his Juris Doctor in 1989. He has delivered presentations on topics related to his practice area to the South Carolina Association for Justice and other professional groups.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, General Litigation, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 60% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20% General Litigation
- 20% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1989, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.covpatlaw.com/attorneys/stephen-r-h-lewis/
- Lecture on the role of the expert witness as well as direct and cross-examination of expert witnesses in the criminal case, Guest Lecturer, Expert Witnesses, SC 13th Circuit Solicitors Convention
- Lecturer for The National Business Institute CLE Seminar - "Advanced Trial Tactics"
- Lecturer for South Carolina Association for Justice
- Lecture on the role of the litigation paralegal in complex civil litigation, Guest Lecturer, South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association Convention
- Lecture on the law of premises liability in SC and the role of the private investigator in premises liability cases, Guest Lecturer, SC Association Of Legal Investigators Convention
- Listed in "The National Trial Lawyers Top 100"
- Elder, CITYLIGHTS Church, Greenville SC, Elder, CITYLIGHTS Fellowship Church, Greenville SC
- Listed in Greenville business Magazine's "Legal Elite of the Upstate" 2017
- American Society of Legal Advocates - Top 100 Lawyers
- Lifetime Achievement as Listed in "America's Top 100 Attorneys"
- Best and Brightest Under 35, Greenville Magazine, 1994
- Listed in “Best Lawyers in America" 2008 - Present
- Director, Palmetto Boys State - Leadership Camp and Laboratory of Government - Sponsored by the American Legion
- Christian Legal Society
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) - Member since 2009
- Member - MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR ADVOCATES FORUM
- Member - MILLION DOLLAR ADVOCATES FORUM
- Trial Masters
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1990
- Greenville County Bar Association
- South Carolina Supreme Court and all State Courts, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, 1989
- Member - SC Judicial Qualifications Committee, 2000
- SC 13th Judicial Circuit ADR Committee, 1997
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 2010
- Best Lawyers in America, 2010
- GSA Best Lawyers - General Practice, 2009
- Member - SC Bar Service to Indigents Committee, 1991
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 2006
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 2009
- Best Lawyers in America, 2009
- Member - American Board of Trial Advocates - SC Chapter, 2009
- Member - SC Bar Children's Committee, 1994
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 2004
- University of South Carolina, B.A., Major: Political Science, 1986
- Auto Accident Brain Injury Settlement - 1.15 Million, 2013
- Premises Liability (Slip and Fall) Verdict - $750,000, 1998
- Knoke vs. SC Dept. of Parks Recreation and Tourism - 3 Million Dollar Verdict, 1994
Office location for Stephen R.H. Lewis
211 Pettigru Street
Greenville, SC 29601
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023