Ken W. Harrell
Top rated Workers' Compensation attorney in North Charleston, South CarolinaJoye Law Firm, LLP
Over the past 30 years, Ken Harrell has diligently defended the rights of personal injury victims and their families in South Carolina and effectively handled countless cases involving car accidents, defective products and workers' compensation claims.
In 1988, Mr. Harrell graduated with his J.D. from the College of William and Mary School of Law and joined the South Carolina Bar. In 1994, he joined the Joye Law Firm in North Charleston. As the managing partner of the firm, he is responsible for overseeing the firm's expanding practice areas.
Mr. Harrell frequently writes and speaks at the continuing legal education program of the South Carolina Bar and the South Carolina Workers' Compensation Educational Association (SCWCEA). He is the past president of the Injured Workers Advocates association, and is currently the organization's legislative affairs chairman. Mr. Harrell has served on the Board of Directors for the SCWCEA. In 2014, he was honored as one of the nation's "Top 100 Workers' Compensation Lawyers" by the Workplace Injury Litigation Group (WILG). He was also honored as the 2015 South Carolina workers' compensation Claimants' "Lawyer of the Year" by the Best Lawyers organization. In 2017, Super Lawyers named Mr. Harrell as one of the 25 top lawyers in South Carolina in all areas of practice. In 2018, Super Lawyers identified him as one of the top 10 lawyers in Charleston.
Mr. Harrell is an active member of the Christ Our King St. Vincent de Paul Charitable Society. He also oversees the Joye In The Community program (www.joyeinthecommunity.com). He is an avid Red Sox and Gamecocks fan.
Practice areasWorkers' Compensation: Claimant, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Dram Shop Laws, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 50% Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 50% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1988, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.joyelawfirm.com/our-attorneys/ken-harrell/
- "Injured In An Automobile Accident - A Summary of your Rights"
- "Injured on The Job - A Summary of your Rights"
- "Paralegals and the Litigation Team in South Carolina"
- "Premises Liability: Preparation and Trial of a Difficult Case in South Carolina"
- "South Carolina Workers' Compensation Educational Association," Annual Conference
- "The Effective Use of the Form 40 in Workers' Compensation Cases"
- "The Law of Workers' Compensation in South Carolina"
- "Trying the Automobile Injury Case"
- "Take Back Control of Your Life"
- Moderator, Summary of South Carolina Workers' Compensation Decisions, South Carolina Workers' Compensation Educational Association, 2014
- Moderator, Current Issues Facing Law Firm Leaders, South Carolina Bar, 2015
- Speaker, Ethics In Managing A Law Firm , South Carolina Injured Workers' Advocates, 2015
- Speaker , "A Storm Cloud Brewing - Overview of Opt-Out Legislation Nationwide", South Carolina Injured Workers' Advocates, 2015
- Speaker, Five-Star Battle of Online Reviews , M And L Legal Marketing Conference, 2015
- Presentation focused on the effective prosecution of a third party case for an injured worker, including medical treatment considerations and the proper resolution of the workers' compensation insurance carrier's subrogation lien. , Speaker, Effective Handling of Third Party Cases for Injured Workers, Injured Workers Advocates, 2018
- Presentation made with John Nichols, head disciplinary counsel for the South Carolina Supreme Court's Office of Disciplinary Counsel, presented to the young lawyers division on client service and effective advocacy, with an emphasis on compliances with the Model Rules of Professional Conduct. , Speaker , The Little Things Make A Difference , South Carolina Association Of Justice, 2018
- James Madison University, B.S., cum laude
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 1989
- South Carolina Bar
- Injured Workers' Advocates
- South Carolina, 1988
- American Association for Justice
- S.C. Workers' Compensation Commission's Educational Association
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Current Legislative Affairs Chairman)
- South Carolina Injured Workers Advocates (past President
- South Carolina Workers' Compensation Educational Association (board Member)
Office location for Ken W. Harrell
5861 Rivers Avenue
North Charleston, SC 29406
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2013, 2015 - 2024