Top rated Securities Litigation attorney in Sullivans Island, South CarolinaGriffin Humphries
Badge Humphries is a partner at the law firm Griffin Humphries LLC located in Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina. He focuses his practice on business litigation, estate litigation, legal malpractice, securities fraud, shareholder litigation, product liability and personal injury cases. He also takes on cases involving landowners in eminent domain and land-use cases.
Mr. Humphries is a relentless and strong defender of his clients' rights. He has received much recognition for his notable legal work and has been listed on the Best Lawyers and the Top 100 Lawyers in South Carolina list by The National Trial Lawyers.
Graduating summa cum laude, Mr. Humphries received his Juris Doctor from Tulane University. He earned his Juris Doctor with honors from The University of Texas School of Law in 2001. While in law school, he was a member of the Texas Law Review.
Active in his affiliations with the legal field, Mr. Humphries has memberships in the following legal associations:
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar’s Torts and Insurance Practices Section
- Public Justice
Additionally, he is a South Carolina Association for Justice’s Board of Governors’ member, where he received the President’s Award. He has provided legal advice to multiple news organizations and publications on a range of legal issues and has been invited to participate as a guest lecturer at many seminars across the nation.
Mr. Humphries is licensed to practice in South Carolina, Texas, Kentucky and Georgia, and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
Practice areasSecurities Litigation, General Litigation, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 40% Securities Litigation
- 30% General Litigation
- 30% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2001, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.griffinhumphries.com/badge-humphries
- South Carolina Public Interest Foundation et al. v. Alan Wilson, Attorney General for the State of South Carolina et al., Case No. 2020-CP-40-04603 (Richland Cnty. Ct. Com. Pl.)
- In re Lear Corp. Shareholder Litigation, No. 2728-N, 926 A.2d 94 (Del. Ch. 2007)
- Mercier v. Whittle (regarding The South Financial Group, Inc. shareholder derivative action), No. 2008-CP-23-8395 (Greenville Cnty. Ct. Com. Pl., Bus. Ct.)
- Stevenson v. Kavanaugh (regarding Force Protection, Inc. shareholder derivative action), No. 2008-CP-10-1735, (Charleston Cnty. Ct. Com. Pl., Bus. Ct. Feb. 10, 2009), order available at https://www.judicial.state.sc.us/courtOrders/displayOrder.cfm?orderNo=2009-02-10-01
- Beard v. Dixon Hughes, PLLC, No. 2010-CP-08-0776 (Berkeley Cnty. Ct. Com. Pl., 9th Judicial Cir. Aug. 2, 2011)
- Hays v. Pearlman, C/A No. 2:10-cv-01135-DCN (D.S.C.), 2010 WL 4510956 (D.S.C. Nov. 2, 2010) (order denying MTD); (case settled June 1, 2011; order entered Oct. 24, 2011)
- Brown v. Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., C/A No. 2:07-cv-03852-DCN, 2009 WL 4809426 (D.S.C. Dec. 9, 2009) amended, C/A No. 2:07-CV-03852DCN, 2010 WL 424031 (D.S.C. Feb. 1, 2010) (class cert order) (Non-ETC Subclass settled Sept. 17, 2010, order entered Nov. 9, 2010; ETC Subclass settled June 1, 2011, order entered July 27, 2011)
- City of Sterling Heights General Employees’ Retirement System v. Hospira, No. 11-C-8332, 2013 WL 566805 (N.D. Ill. Feb. 13, 2013) (order re MTD) (case settled for $60 million in March 2014)
- Hill v. State Street Corp., C/A No. 1:09-cv-12146-NG, 2011 WL 3420439 (D. Mass. Aug. 3, 2011) (order denying MTD); (case settled for $60 million in July 2014)
- California State Teachers’ Retirement System v. Blankenship, No. 10-C-715 (W. Va. Cir. Ct.); and Manville Personal Injury Trust v. Blankenship, No. 07-C- 1333 (W. Va. Cir. Ct.) (regarding Massey Energy Co.).
- Ponzi Victims’ Third-Party Claims: Law and Practice, The Justice Bulletin, Summer 2014
- 2/11 – Opal Financial Group’s Investment Education Symposium in Conjunction with the Louisiana Trustee Education Council (LATEC) – Legal Issues in Equity Investing (New Orleans, LA Feb. 28, 2011)
- 6/11 – National Summit on the Future of Fiduciary Responsibility – Panelist, Fiduciary Responsibilities: The New Role of Institutional Investors as Private Regulators and Agents of Change (New York, NY – June 9, 2011)
- 8/12 – SCAJ Annual Convention – Moderator, Fee Awards: Ethics and Practice (with Senior U.S. District Judge Duffy, Chief Judge Few of the S.C. Court of Appeals, Cam Lewis, Jim Griffin, and William Applegate) (Hilton Head, SC Aug. 2, 2012)
- 8/12 – Sheet Metal Workers’ International Association, Annual Conference 2012 – Asbestos and Securities Litigation Developments (San Diego, CA Aug. 23, 2011)
- 3/12 – Texas Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems (TEXPERS) Annual Conference – Panelist, The Importance of Litigation in Protecting Plan Assets (Corpus Christi, TX Mar. 27, 2012)
- 8/13 – SCAJ Annual Convention – Moderator, Arbitrate This: A Compelling Panel Discussion (with Senior U.S. District Judge Norton, S.C. Circuit Judge Newman, Bill Narwold, Brian Boger, and Stephen Suggs) (Hilton Head, SC Aug. 1, 2013)
- 1/13 – Opal Financial Group, Public Funds Summit – Panelist, Legal Issues Facing Public Pensions (Scottsdale, AZ Jan. 9, 2013)
- 8/14 – SCAJ Annual Convention – Halliburton and Chadbourne: All You Need To Know (Hilton Head, SC Aug. 7, 2014)
- 12/20 – SCAJ Advanced Trial Lawyers College (Auto Torts XLIII) – 30(b)(6) Strategies (virtual Dec. 3, 2020)
- 1/21 – South Carolina Bar, Torts and Insurance Practices Section Seminar, Advanced Deposition Tactics, Moderator (virtual, Jan. 21, 2021)
- Lectures: Recently presented for South Carolina Association for Justice (SCAJ), Texas Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems (TEXPERS), Opal Financial Group's Investment Education Symposium in Conjunction with the Louisiana Trustee Education Council (LATEC), and the National Association of State Treasurers.
- Federal Bar Admissions: U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; U.S. District Courts for the District of South Carolina, Western District of Kentucky, Eastern District of Michigan, Eastern District of Texas, and Southern District of Texas.
- State Bar Licenses: South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Texas, and West Virginia
- Board of Governors, South Carolina Association for Justice (SCAJ), Consumer and Securities Law Section Chair
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (General Bar), 2013
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2010
- Georgia, 2014
- Kentucky, 2009
- South Carolina, 2004
- Texas, 2001
- James L. Petigru American Inn of Court
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS), Sheet Metal Workers' National Pension Fund, Amalgamated Bank.
- B.A. summa cum laude, Tulane University, 1996
- South Carolina Association for Justice (SCAJ) President's Award, 2014
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2012 and 2013
- Institutional Investors
- Medical Device Manufacturers
- Securities Broker-Dealers
Office location for Badge Humphries
2113 Middle St
Sullivans Island, SC 29482
- Super Lawyers: 2023 - 2024
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2013