Paul J. Andrews
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Rapid City, SD
- Free Consultation
Bringing a diverse background to his practice, Attorney Paul J. Andrews provides criminal defense services for a wide variety of state and federal offenses including drug possession and distribution, sex-related offenses, assault & battery, DUI offenses, burglary and theft, criminal domestic violence, motor vehicle offenses and traffic violations, probation violations, and juvenile delinquency cases. Mr. Andrews also has extensive experience in white collar criminal defense and has represented individuals and businesses in federal and state courts across the country.
Mr. Andrews has particular experience representing out-of-state drivers who are stopped in South Dakota for minor driving infractions only to have their vehicles searched and marijuana and/or other illegal narcotics discovered. Many times these searches lack sufficient probable cause and the case can be dismissed. Other times, Mr. Andrews can utilize his extensive experience to negotiate reduced charges and help his clients avoid jail time. If you find yourself in such a situation, contact the Andrews Law Office immediately.
A seasoned civil litigation attorney, Mr. Andrews also has represented individuals and business, both as plaintiffs and defendants, in a wide variety of civil litigation matters in federal and state courts throughout the country, including: defamation; civil fraud cases; shareholder lawsuits; civil RICO matters; contract disputes; conversion claims; and negligence.
Reflecting his nation-wide experience, Mr. Andrews also is Of Counsel to the Massachusetts law firms of Neelon & Associates, LLC in Braintree, Massachusetts, and Dhar Law, LLP in Charlestown, Massachusetts.
Prior to entering into private practice, Mr. Andrews served for over twelve years with the U.S. Department of Justice’s Criminal Division, where he prosecuted a number of white collar crimes throughout the United States, resulting in convictions of numerous officers and directors of publicly-traded corporations and banks, as well as other various white-collar criminals.
Mr. Andrews uses his extensive background and experience to predict how the prosecution may act and appropriately structure the best possible defense for his clients.
After earning a Bachelor of Arts and graduating summa cum laude from Boston College, Mr. Andrews received a Juris Doctor from Boston College Law School.
Today, Mr. Andrews is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, the U.S. District Court for the Districts of South Dakota, Massachusetts and Colorado, as well as all state courts in South Dakota and Massachusetts.
- 60%Criminal Defense
- 30%Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10%Criminal Defense: White Collar
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Overdrawn Bank Account, Probation, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2022
About Paul J. Andrews
First Admitted: 1991, South Dakota
Professional Webpage: https://andrewslawofficellc.com
- U.S. District Court - District of South Dakota
- State of South Dakota
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces of the United States
- ReedLogic Video Leadership Seminars™: Updated Strategies for White Collar Legal Defense, 2007 and 2008, Featuring Paul J. Andrews
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- The Office of Inspector General for the FDIC
- Boston College, B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1988
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1991
- DRUG POSSESSION CHARGES DISMISSED - An out-of-state motorist was stopped on Interstate 90 by a Sheriff's Deputy who searched his car and found illegal drugs. Paul filed a Motion to Suppress the evidence based upon the Deputy's lack of probable cause to search the car and the unreasonably long detention of his client at the scene while a K-9 unit was called. After Paul filed this Motion, the State Attorney's Office dismissed all charged against Paul's client., 2019
- SOUTH DAKOTA SUPREME COURT REVERSES CONVICTION - In a unanimous 5-0 decision, the South Dakota Supreme Court reversed the conviction of Robert Suchor, a contractor who had been found guilty of three counts of misappropriation of funds by a contractor. On appeal, Paul successfully argued to the Supreme Court that the State had presented insufficient evidence as to each of the counts of conviction and that the Circuit Court should have granted Suchor's Motions for Acquittal. The Supreme Court agreed with Paul's arguments and reversed Suchor's conviction., 2021
- YOUNG ADULT DIVERSION PROGRAM PLACEMENT - Paul successfully sought placement of his client in the Young Adult Diversion Program offered by Pennington County. This program offers non-violent offenders 25 years old and younger the opportunity to earn a second chance without the stigma of a criminal conviction on their record. Paul has helped many young offenders take advantage of this unique program and always considers the possibility of such alternative programs when representing his clients. , 2019
- ASSAULT AND BATTERY AND ROBBERY CHARGES - DISMISSED. Working closely with his client/Defendant, Paul was able to present prosecutors in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with evidence and records establishing that the alleged victim had lied to the police concerning Paul's client. When the alleged victim was made aware of the information Paul had obtained concerning his lying to the police, he refused to testify based on his Fifth Amendment privilege and the Commonwealth dismissed the charges just before the start of trial., 2018
- SEXUAL ASSAULT OF A MINOR CHARGES - DISMISSED. Just prior to Jury Selection, prosecutors in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts agreed to dismiss charges against Paul's client. Paul worked closely with an experienced investigator to accumulate evidence and witnesses that demonstrated that the alleged victim's claims would not hold up to scrutiny. It was only after he and his client demonstrated their resolve to take the matter to trial, however, that the Commonwealth agreed to dismiss the charges., 2018
- DETENTION ORDER REVERSED - Paul successfully argued a Motion to Reconsider a detention order issued by the U.S. District Court for the District of South Dakota and was able to secure his client's release on bond after presenting the Court with critical evidence which his prior attorney had failed to present to the Court at the initial detention hearing. Paul's client is now back home with his family and awaiting his opportunity to clear his name at trial., 2017
- AGGRAVATED ASSAULT INDICTMENT DISMISSED - Working closely with the State's Attorney's Office, Paul was able to obtain a a dismissal of the indictment against his client in favor of a deferred prosecution agreement. This agreement allowed his client to keep a clean record so that he could go forward with his plans to join the United States military., 2017
- MOTION TO DISMISS REVERSED ON APPEAL - Paul successfully argued before the Massachusetts Court of Appeals and obtained a reversal of a Motion to Dismiss that had been granted by the district court on the basis of the Massachusetts anti-SLAPP statute. As Plainitff's appellate counsel, Paul presuaded the Appeals Court that his client's defamation case did not violate the anti-SLAPP statute and that the dismissal was improper. The Appeals Court agreed and returned the case to the district court. Shortly thereafter, the parties settled the case., 2017
- $350,000 JURY VERDICT - Paul successfully tried a case for defamation in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts against a Canadian corporation and Canadian individual, resulting in a jury verdict for his client of $350,000.00, 2015
- MOTION TO DISMISS REVERSED ON APPEAL - Paul successfully argued an appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, overturning the Central District of California District Court's dismissal of his client's defamation case against a foreign national on the basis of forum non conveniens. After the case was returned to the District Court, Paul was ultimately able to negotiate a settlement between the parties., 2014
Last Updated: 5/15/2022