Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Chattanooga, TN
Attorney Jerry Summers is a founding partner of Summers, Rufolo & Rodgers, P.C., law firm in Chattanooga, Tennessee. A native of Chattanooga and Hamilton County, Mr. Summers focuses his practice primarily on criminal defense, and he provides unmatched counsel and support to those who stand accused of any type of felony or misdemeanor criminal offense.
A nationally ranked trial attorney with more than 54 years of total legal experience, Mr. Summers has achieved remarkable success advocating on behalf of the accused. As a former prosecutor with the Hamilton County District Attorney's Office, he has invaluable insight into the criminal justice system from both sides, which makes him all the more effective at devising the best possible defense strategies for those charged with DUI, drug crimes, violent crimes, white collar crimes and other serious violations.
Along with criminal defense, Mr. Summers has extensive experience handling personal injury and wrongful death claims involving asbestos exposure and mesothelioma, motor vehicle accidents, defective products and nursing home abuse. He also has experience with employment law, health care law, election campaign and political law, workers' compensation, Social Security Disability and other legal areas.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Summers has earned consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America© along with many other top rankings and endorsements from his peers. Moreover, he has also accepted invitations to join some of the country's most prestigious legal societies, and he is a fellow with the American College of Trial Lawyers, the American Board of Trial Advocates, The International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the International Society of Barristers.
A leader in his legal community, Mr. Summers has served as president for both the Tennessee Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and the Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association. He has also served on the board of various legal organizations, including the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the American Association for Justice. He also supports his local community through his involvement with the Area IV Special Olympics, CADAS and the Orange Grove Center for individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
A 1963 graduate of The University of the South, Mr. Summers obtained his Juris Doctor in 1966 from The University of Tennessee College of Law. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
- 50%Criminal Defense
- 30%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20%Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2021
- Top 100: 2021 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2020 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2019 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2015 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2013 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2012 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2011 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2010 Tennessee Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2009 Tennessee Super Lawyers
About Jerry Summers
First Admitted: 1966, Tennessee
Professional Webpage: https://www.summersfirm.com/Attorneys-and-Staff/Jerry-H-Summ...
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America in both personal injury and criminal law
- Named to the 2014 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Criminal Defense
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Named to the 2015 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Criminal Defense
Pro bono/Community Service
- Area IV Special Olympics, Orange Grove Center
- CADAS (treatment of alcohol/drug abuse)
- Tennessee Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- President, Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Association for Justice, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- Tennessee, 1966
- Central High School, Chattanooga, TN
- University of the South, Sewanee, TN, B.A. - 1963
Last Updated: 5/15/2022