Marya L. Schalk
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Chattanooga, TN
Selected to Rising Stars: 2011 - 2020
- Free Consultation
Marya L. Schalk is an attorney with Summers, Rufolo & Rodgers, P.C., law firm in Chattanooga, Tennessee. A top-rated trial lawyer with more than 14 years of total legal experience, Ms. Schalk focuses her practice solely on criminal defense, and she provides invaluable counsel and support to clients across Hamilton County and beyond who stand accused of DUI/DWI and other serious felony and misdemeanor offenses in both state and federal court.
Along with maintaining a successful criminal defense trial practice, Ms. Schalk also has extensive experience handling appeals, and she maintains an unwavering focus on protecting her clients' rights and liberties while helping them obtain the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
As a criminal defense lawyer, Ms. Schalk has worked on numerous federal criminal cases. She has brought and successfully argued appeals before the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals, the Tennessee Supreme Court, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit. She has also filed petitions for certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court. From her efforts, she has secured acquittals, dismissals and reductions of charges for the accused while helping many others challenge a previous ruling regarding their cases to help them achieve the justice they deserve.
A native of Nashville, Ms. Schalk graduated cum laude from Vanderbilt University in 2002. She then attended the University of Tennessee College of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor in 2005. While in law school, she was an active member of the Tennessee Law Review, and she received the Robert E. Pryor Award of Excellence in Advocacy. She clerked for the Honorable Joseph Tipton on the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals. She is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Ms. Schalk is a member of the Chattanooga Bar Associations, the Tennessee Associations of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and the Federal Bar Association.
About Marya L. Schalk
First Admitted: 2005, Tennessee
Professional Webpage: https://www.summersfirm.com/Attorneys-and-Staff/Marya-L-Scha...
- Rising Star in Criminal Defense, Rising Star Superlawyers
- Robert E. Pryor Award of Excellence in Advocacy, University of Tennessee College of Law, 2005
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Inns of Court
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit Bar, 2007
- United States Court of the Eastern District of Tennessee Bar, 2006
- Admitted to United States Supreme Court Bar, 2018
- Tennessee Bar Admission, 2005
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Southeast Tennessee Lawyer's Association for Women
- Federal Bar Association
- Vanderbilt University - Bachelor of Science, 2002
- University of Tennessee College of Law - JD, 2005
- United States Eastern District of Tennessee, 2006
- United States Supreme Court Bar, 2018
- Tennessee Bar, 2005
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit, 2007
- United States v. McElheney, 310 Fed. Appx. 857 (6th Cir. 2009) - reversed on appeal; federal sentencing issue, 2009
- United States v. Jerry Cooper, No. 1:06-cr-92 (E.D. Tenn) - acquitted of Bank Fraud charges, 2007
- United States v. Long, 457 Fed. Appx. 534 (6th Cir. 2012) - federal sentencing reversed and remanded for new sentencing hearing, 2012
- State of Tennessee v. Rosemary Decosimo - Won Appeal in the TN CCA; Tennessee Supreme Court later reversed the decision of the TN CCA but only after the Tennessee Legislature amended the statute which we had challenged as being unconstitutional., 2018
- In re Estate of Brock - Won Appeal in TN Supreme Court, 2017
- State v. Robert Franklin - Won Appeal to TN CCA, 2018
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Arthritis Foundation Fundraiser - raised over $50,000 for the Arthritis Foundation in last 8 years, 2020
Last Updated: 7/1/2022