Jacob T. Thorington
Top rated Family Law attorney in Franklin, TennesseeCheatham, Palermo & Garrett
Jacob T. Thorington is an attorney with Cheatham, Palermo & Garrett Law in Franklin, Tennessee. A top-ranked lawyer with more than 13 total years of legal experience, Mr. Thorington focuses his practice primarily on family law, and he provides unmatched counsel and support to clients throughout the greater Nashville metro region who are going through a divorce or have some other serious legal issue affecting their families. He also handles music copyright and intellectual property matters.
A Rule 31 Family Law Mediator, Mr. Thorington has achieved remarkable success helping his clients resolve their conflicts and reach favorable agreements without the need for expensive, stressful and time-consuming court battles. He also has argued several matters before the Tennessee Court of Appeals, and he has become known for his in-depth legal knowledge in all areas of family law, including child custody, post-divorce contempt issues, alimony modifications, child support modifications and other related matters.
A former Eagle Scout, Mr. Thorington understands the values of hard work and service to others, and he employs these virtues into his practice every single day. As an attorney, he has gained a reputation for his compassion and integrity when dealing with his clients along with his unwavering dedication to their needs. Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, he has earned consistent recognition as among the top 2.5% of lawyers in his region.
A 2003 graduate of Tennessee Technological University with a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering, Mr. Thorington obtained his Juris Doctor magna cum laude from the University of St. Thomas School of Law in 2007. The Tennessee Bar Association admitted him to practice that same year, and Mr. Thorington immediately joined Cheatham, Palermo & Garrett Law, where he has been his entire legal career.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Thorington is a member of the Williamson County Bar Association, among his other professional affiliations, and he routinely volunteers his time and services with the Legal Aid Society.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 2007, Tennessee
Professional Webpage: https://cpgarrettlaw.com/about-us/jacob-thorington/
- Presented a Continuing Legal Education course on Discovery in Divorce, in October and December 2015., CLE Presenter
- Presented a CLE regarding ethics in the pragmatic practice of law. , CLE Presenter, A Case Summary in Ethics, TAM Family Law Conference, Legal, 2021
- Presented CLE on Mediation techniques from my position as the mediator, CLE Presenter, A View from the Neutral, 2019 TAM Family Law Conference, Family Law, 2019
- Presented a CLE at the Tennessee Attorney Memo Family Law Conference in October 2018 regarding alimony and child support, including statutory framework, common pitfalls, practice examples, and discussion., CLE Presenter, "Show me the Money" Alimony and Child Support, 2018 TAM Family Law Conference, 2018
- , Super Lawyers Mid-South Rising Star
- Legal Aid Society
- Board Member, Youth Leadership Franklin, 2019
- Franklin First United Methodist Church Board Member, Board of Trustees, 2020
- Board Member/Member of Next Generation of the Heritage Foundation in Franklin and Williamson County; Board President 2015 - 2016, 2014
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- Williamson County Bar Association, Member
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, 2003
- Rule 31 Listed Mediator, 2016
Office location for Jacob T. Thorington
109 Jennings Street
Franklin, TN 37064
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2021