J. Matthew Bolton
Top rated family law attorney in Johnson City, TennesseeHerndon, Coleman, Brading & McKee, LLP
A partner and attorney at Herndon, Coleman, Brading & McKee, LLP, in Johnson City, Tennessee, J. Matthew Bolton represents the people residing in and around the Tri-Cities area. His practice is not limited to a single legal niche, and he litigates cases involving any of the following:
- Personal injury: Premises liability, commercial or personal vehicle accidents.
- Divorce and family law: Child custody, child support, post-divorce modifications, paternity actions, contested and uncontested adoption.
- Criminal defense law
- Landlord-tenant law
Majoring in communication and media studies, Mr. Bolton earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from The University of Tennessee in Knoxville in 2003. A year later, he enrolled in the Appalachian School of Law and graduated in 2006, obtaining his Juris Doctor.
Mr. Bolton received his authorization to practice law in the state of Tennessee in 2006. He joined Herndon, Coleman, Brading & McKee, LLP, the same year and since then has been advocating for people through the firm. He understands that litigation is an extensive and time-dependent process, thereby he efficiently works to not waste neither his nor his clients’ time. No matter how complex the case is, he always strives to conduct methodical and critical research and analysis before strategizing a legal solution.
The numerous positive reviews and endorsements from his clients and peers on Avvo are clear indicators of the exceptional service Mr. Bolton provides. He is also rated "Superb" on the same platform. He was honored by the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys for his legal contributions to society with inclusion in their "Top 10 Under 40" list.
Well-respected in the legal community, Mr. Bolton is a member in good standing of several organizations and associations such as the Washington County Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He co-founded the Lawyers Helping People Program, a program established to provide legal assistance free of fee to indigent people.
Practice areasFamily law, Criminal defense, Estate planning & probate, Insurance coverage, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Real estate: consumer
Adoption, Child support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Juvenile law, Paternity, Criminal law, Insurance, Motor vehicle accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff, Landlord/tenant
- 40% Family law
- 20% Criminal defense
- 10% Estate planning & probate
- 10% Insurance coverage
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Real estate: consumer
First Admitted: 2006, Tennessee
Professional Webpage: https://lawyerfirm.com/attorneys/j-matthew-bolton/
- Top 10 Under 40, National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys, 2016
- Mid-South Rising Star, Super Lawyers publication, 2016
- Dawn of Hope and Hands On Children’s Museum
- Co-Founder of the Lawyers Helping People Program
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications, 2002
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
- Washington County Bar Association, Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Western District of Virginia
Office location for J. Matthew Bolton
104 E Main St
Johnson City, TN 37604
- Rising Stars: 2016