John C. Ryland
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Memphis, TN
John C. Ryland is a family law attorney at Black McLaren Jones Ryland & Griffee, P.C., in Memphis, Tennessee. Mr. Ryland handles family law matters involving divorce, adoption, child support, fathers’ rights, military divorce, same-sex family law and other issues. He serves clients in the Memphis metropolitan area and the surrounding counties, including Dyersburg and western Tennessee.
Mr. Ryland has been practicing law for over 25 years. A skilled trial attorney, he is also familiar with collaborative divorce methods such as mediation for clients wishing to resolve their family legal disputes outside of the courtroom. In addition to family law, he has experience with commercial and civil litigation, criminal defense and personal injury law. His diverse legal background allows him to provide superior service to his clients when helping them with a wide range of issues.
Recognized for his accomplishments, the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys presented Mr. Ryland with a Top 10 award for excellence in family law, and the National Advocates included him on its Top 100 Lawyers list. He is also AV Preeminent peer-review rated,* the highest rating, through Martindale-Hubbell.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Ryland is a member of the Memphis Bar Association, the Tennessee Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is a fellow of the Memphis Bar Foundation and a graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy.
After receiving a bachelor’s degree from the University of Tennessee, Mr. Ryland earned his law degree from The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law. He holds licenses to practice law before all Tennessee state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 100%Family Law
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Juvenile Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2021
About John C. Ryland
First Admitted: 1994, Tennessee
Professional Webpage: https://www.bmjrglaw.com/john-ryland
- AV Preeminent Highest Possible Ratings in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards, Martindale Hubbell, 2016-2020
- Fellow, Memphis Bar Foundation
- Super Lawyers, Mid-South, 2015-2020
- The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers, 2017
- Top 10 Award for Excellence in field of Family Law from the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2015-2018
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Recipient - American Jurisprudence Award in Evidence, Criminal Law, Debtor-Creditor, Business Organizations II, University of Memphis, 1994
- University of Memphis Law Review, Member, 1992-1994
- Recipient - West Award in Secured Transactions, Business Organization II, University of Memphis, 1994
- Author, "When Policies Collide: The Conflict Between CERCLA and the Bankruptcy Code" 24 Memphis St. L. Rev., 1994
- University of Tennessee, B.A., 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 1994
- Member, Memphis Bar Association
- Member, Tennessee Bar Association, 2017
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, 2001
- Memphis Bar Association, Fellow, 2017
- Member, Leo Bearman, Sr. American Inn of Court, 1999-2001
- Member, American Bar Association, 2017
Last Updated: 5/15/2022