Top rated Creditor Debtor Rights attorney in Nashville, TennesseeWatson Law Group PLLC
Glen Watson is a commercial lawyer with wide-ranging experience in the practice areas of Bankruptcy, Creditor-Debtor Rights, Banking, Real Property and Tax Controversies.
Known among clients and colleagues for his strong work ethic, sharp sense of humor and engaging personality, Glen’s career in private practice began with a focus on providing advice and counsel to businesses in financial distress. For more than 20 years, he has guided businesses through all aspects of the restructuring process, including negotiating with creditors, finding capital and facilitating asset sales to maximize the return to all interested parties.
By helping companies across a variety of industries navigate insolvency-related matters in and out of bankruptcy, Glen developed a reputation for creative, practical approaches to achieve clients’ objectives in a cost-effective manner. Glen is considered a trusted voice for lenders and financial institutions seeking to proactively protect their interests as creditors in secured and unsecured transactions and, when necessary, institute collection action to ensure the return on their portfolio.
In Tennessee, Glen is frequently retained to represent court-appointed bankruptcy trustees and receivers in evaluating and pursuing litigation to recover avoidable preferences and assets transferred via fraudulent conveyance. Additionally, Glen’s bankruptcy practice includes defending actions to recover alleged preference payments and the prosecution of adversary proceedings to declare debts incurred through fraud nondischargeable in bankruptcy.
Outside of court, Glen has extensive experience dealing with the IRS and Tennessee Department of Revenue on behalf of individual and corporate taxpayers. He provides a broad range of services as tax controversies arise, including trust fund penalty defense, offers in compromise, installment agreements, administrative appeal of collection actions, and relief from liens, levies, seizures and wage garnishments.
Given his expertise in assessing the financial capabilities of individuals and closely held entities, fellow members of the bar frequently engage Glen to advise their clients in matters involving the intersection of federal bankruptcy law and domestic law in Tennessee. Because of his ability to explain complex insolvency issues in a relatable way, Glen often serves as an expert witness in contested divorce proceedings among high-net worth individuals. He’s also a contributing author of The Alimony Bench Book, published annually by the Tennessee Bar Association Family Law Section.
Glen’s even-handed approach and skill in facilitating mutually beneficial resolutions among adverse parties are attributes valued by the legal community. He was recently appointed as an arbitrator for the Nashville Bar Association’s Ethics and Fee Dispute Committee, entrusted with resolving disputes between attorneys and their clients without the necessity of litigation.
As a result of his professional achievements, Glen is perennially recognized as a “Mid-South Super Lawyer” in the field of Creditor/Debtor Rights and the holder of an “AV Preeminent” Peer Review Rating by Martindale Hubbell, given exclusively to attorneys ranked at the highest level of professional excellence for their legal expertise, communication skills and ethical standards by their peers.
Practice areasCreditor Debtor Rights: Business, Bankruptcy: Business, Business/Corporate
Bankruptcy Law, Business Formation and Planning, Collections, Contracts, Foreclosure, Loan Modifications
- 40% Creditor Debtor Rights: Business
- 30% Bankruptcy: Business
- 30% Business/Corporate
First Admitted: 2000, Tennessee
Professional Webpage: https://www.bestlawyers.com/lawyers/glen-watson/316459
- In re Vision 21, LLC
- In re Handkov Enterprises, LLC
- In re: Kohls
- In re Tekeni Partners, LLC
- In re Current River Capital, LLC
- In re Old Timers' Log Homes and Supply Inc.
- Nashville Bar Association, 2000 - Present
- Chapter 11 Subchapter V Trustee for the Middle District of Tennessee, 2021
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 2002 - Present
- American Inns of Court, Master, 2017 - Present, 2017
- Small Firm Committee, Nashville Bar Association, Member, 2015 - Present
- Fee Dispute Committee, Nashville Bar Association, Arbitrator, 2015 - Present
- Tennessee, 2000
- Fee Dispute Committee, Nashville Bar Association, 2020
- Mid-South Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016
- Preeminent (AV) Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2014
- Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence, Preeminent (AV) Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2020
- Mid-South Super Lawyer (Creditor-Debtor Rights), Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville, BA - Bachelor of Arts, 1996
- Alimony Bench Book, Author, The Discharge ability in Bankruptcy of Debts for Alimony and Property Settlements Arising from Divorce, Tennessee Bar Association, 2019
- Mediator (General Civil), Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 Listed, 2021
Office location for Glen Watson
1114 17th Avenue South, Suite 201
Nashville, TN 37212
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2014