Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Nashville, TN
Focusing her practice primarily on criminal defense but with extensive experience in family law matters as well, Jennifer Thompson is the founder of her own law office in Nashville, Tennessee. Providing representation to people throughout the greater metropolitan area and other parts of the state, she is admitted to practice before all Tennessee state courts as well as before the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit. Highly regarded for the quality of her work in what are often emotional cases, Ms. Thompson has received both a 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo and a "Distinguished"* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
In her criminal defense practice, Ms. Thompson provides advocacy for people who are facing state or federal misdemeanor or felony charges. The types of cases that she has worked on have included violent crimes, money laundering and other white collar offenses, and drug possession and distribution. Ms. Thompson often utilizes the opinion and testimony of experts in ballistics and DNA evidence while constructing the most appropriate strategy to counter the allegations that her clients are facing, and she has achieved positive results through both jury acquittals and the negotiation of favorable plea agreements with the prosecution. Ms. Thompson's family law experience has included helping clients going through a divorce deal with such related issues as child custody and visitation, property division, and spousal and child support.
Ms. Thompson majored in textile science at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and she received a Bachelor of Science in 1986. After working in private industry for several years, she enrolled at the University of Tennessee College of Law and was awarded her Juris Doctor cum laude in 1996. Ms. Thompson's professional memberships include the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Jennifer Thompson
First Admitted: 1996, Tennessee
Professional Webpage: https://www.fromjailtojustice.com/attorney/jennifer-lynn-tho...
- Nashville Bar Association Federal Court Committee
- Criminal Justice Act panel attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee, 2002 – Present
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member, 2003 – Present
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Chairman, Ethics Committee, 2004 – 2005
- Board of Directors, Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, American Bar Association GP Solo Section
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section ,Defense Function Services Committee, Vice-Chairman, 2007 – 2008
- Member, American Bar Association Family Law Section, 2007 – Present
- Member, American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section, 2006 – Present
- American Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Committee, Co-Chairman, 2011-2012
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, Defense Function Services Committee, Co-Chairman, 2008 – 2011
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member, 2004 – Present
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee, 1997
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2003
- Tennessee State Bar, 1996
- University of Tennessee, Bachelor of Science, 1986
- American Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Section
- Life Member of National Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Life Member of Tennessee Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Tennessee Bar Association
Last Updated: 5/15/2022