John J. Griffin, Jr.
Top rated business litigation attorney in Nashville, TennesseeKay Griffin, PLLC
A passionate and respected attorney, John J. Griffin Jr. is a partner at the law firm of Kay Griffin, PLLC, and practices out of the firm’s offices in Nashville, Tennessee. With nearly three decades of experience, he supports clients who are facing issues that revolve around commercial and business litigation, entertainment and intellectual property law, personal injury and insurance litigation.
Mr. Griffin attended the University of Notre Dame in Indiana and obtained his Bachelor of Arts in 1989. Three years later, he earned his Juris Doctor from The University of Tennessee College of Law in Knoxville.
As a Tennessee Supreme Court-certified mediator, Mr. Griffin tries to resolve conflicts before entering the courtroom but is always prepared to represent his clients in court when necessary. He has fought for the best interests of recording companies, songwriters, music publishing companies and insurance companies during a time of dispute or crisis.
Qualified to practice in Tennessee since 1992, Mr. Griffin is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee.
The Best Lawyers in America recognized Mr. Griffin’s contributions as a litigator and Martindale-Hubbell provided him an AV* Preeminent rating for his professional excellence and consistency. He was named to the Nashville Business Journal's 2004 “Best of the Bar” list.
Mr. Griffin gives back to the legal community by staying active in legal organizations. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, the Trucking Industry Defense Association, the Tennessee Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He was among the board of directors of the Nashville Bar Association.
When not fighting for the rights of his clients, Mr. Griffin volunteers to provide services to those in his community. He won the Nashville Bar Association's Pro Bono Volunteer of the Year Award, and the Catholic Charities awarded him the “Volunteer of the Year” title.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Civil litigation: defense, Entertainment & sports, Insurance coverage, Intellectual property
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Entertainment, sports & leisure law, Insurance, Insurance defense, Copyrights, Intellectual property law
- 40% Business litigation
- 20% Civil litigation: defense
- 20% Entertainment & sports
- 10% Insurance coverage
- 10% Intellectual property
First Admitted: 1992
Professional Webpage: https://www.kaygriffin.com/our-people/john-j-griffin-jr
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member, 2017 – Present
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- Tennessee, 1992
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member, 1992 – Present
- Nashville Bar Association, Member/Board of Directors, 1992 – Present
- Trucking Industry Defense Association, Member, 2018 – Present
- Highest Professional AV Rating (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell, 2018
- Catholic Charities Volunteer of the Year, 2006
- Nashville Bar Association's Pro Bono Volunteer of the Year Award, 2005
- One of Nashville's Best Eight Litigators, Nashville Business Journal - Best of the Bar, 2004
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2008-2021
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, Bachelor of Arts, English - 1989
Office location for John J. Griffin, Jr.
222 2nd Ave. N.
Nashville, TN 37201
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022