The founding attorney of Benouis Law Ltd., LLP, Catherine D. Benouis has spent the past three decades helping the residents of Austin, Texas, navigate complex family law issues. She is well known for her work in high net worth divorces, collaborative law, complex property division, child custody, visitation and parenting time, spousal maintenance, adoptions, post-decree modifications and marital agreements.
Having faced a divorce herself, Ms. Benouis understands firsthand the emotional and financial toll that a legal issue has on individuals and their families. She identifies her clients’ best interests and goals and strategizes effective ways to achieve them, without compromising the family element. Remaining a trusted counsel during a time of transition or conflict, she has helped hundreds of families secure favorable results.
An honors graduate of Indiana University Bloomington, Ms. Benouis received her Bachelor of Arts in 1986. She then earned her Juris Doctor magna cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law in 1990. During law school, she was in the top 10% of her class and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. She is licensed to practice law in Illinois (1990) and Texas (1992).
As a mark of excellence, Ms. Benouis was board-certified as a family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1998. She effectively tries to mediate cases, helping both parties come to an agreement less emotionally and more quickly. However, she will not hesitate to take cases to trial, when needed.
A fellow of the Austin Bar Foundation and Texas Bar Foundation, Ms. Benouis is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the Texas College of Collaborative Law and the Austin Bar Association – Family Law Section. She is a charter member of Collaborative Divorce Texas and has been included in its exclusive group of Master Credentialed Collaborative Professionals.
Practice areasFamily Law
Dissolution, Divorce, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Prenuptial Agreements
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1990, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.benouislaw.com/attorney/benouis-catherine-m/
- University of Illinois College of Law, Order of the Coif
- Course Director for CLI-TX Interdisciplinary Training
- I serve on the Board of Collaborative Divorce Austin and am the Membership Committee Chair
- I serve on the Credentialing Committee for Collaborative Divorce Texas, 2022
- Master Credentialed in Collaborative Divorce practice by Collaborative Divorce Texas, 2022
- I am a member of the Williamson County Inns of Court, 2021
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow of the Austin Bar Foundation
- Board Certified in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1998
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, B.A., Bachelor of ArtsHonors: Graduated with distinction, 1986
- Licensure by the Illinois Supreme Court, 1990
- Master Credentialed by Collaborative Divorce Texas, 2022
- Master Credentialed by Collaborative Divorce Texas
- Board Member, Collaborative Divorce Austin
- Charter Member, Collaborative Divorce Texas
- Member, Collaborative Divorce Austin Chapter
- Chair, Travis County Bar Association People's Law School, 2001-2005
- Member, Austin Bar Association Family Law Section
- Member, Austin Bar Association
- Member, Texas College of Collaborative Law
- Member, Travis County Family Law Advocates
- Member, College of State Bar of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Texas (including Family Law Section)
- Licensure by the Texas Supreme Court, 1992
Office location for Catherine D. Benouis
4401 West Gate Blvd
Austin, TX 78745
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023
Certificates and credentials