David E. Dunham
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Austin, TX
David E. Dunham handles a wide variety of business litigation matters as founding partner of the Texas law firm, Dunham LLP. His experience includes breach of contract litigation, partnership disputes, professional liability, securities litigation, patent infringement, trade secret matters and copyright infringement. Mr. Dunham is board-certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in civil trial law. He accepts clients in Austin and throughout Texas.
Mr. Dunham's clients have included investors, medical device manufacturers, telecommunications companies, software and gaming companies, and major financial corporations. His verdicts have been recognized in annual top 100 highest verdicts in the country, as well as the top 50 highest verdicts in Texas, in the annual reports of largest verdicts published by Verdictsearch, National Law Journal and Topverdict.com.
After graduating magna cum laude in 1984 from Vanderbilt University, Mr. Dunham earned his Juris Doctor from The University of Texas School of Law in 1988, graduating with honors. He is licensed to practice law before the United States Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and the U.S. District Courts for the Western, Southern, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas.
His dedication to the highest legal standards has earned Mr. Dunham the highest rating of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. He is an active member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, the State Bar of Texas and the Austin Bar Association. Mr. Dunham enjoys the opportunity to serve his community; he has served as a member on the board of directors for Caritas of Austin, an organization devoted to helping the hungry and the homeless.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 60%Business Litigation
- 20%Securities Litigation
- 10%Intellectual Property Litigation
- 10%Professional Liability: Plaintiff
Trade Secret, Non-Compete Agreements, Legal Malpractice
- Super Lawyers: 2003, 2006, 2008 - 2014, 2016 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Civil Trial Law
About David E. Dunham
First Admitted: 1988, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.dunhamllp.com
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board Director, Concept Services, Inc., an Austin-based restaurant equipment provider serving clients all across the country.
- Advisory Board Director, KLD Energy Technologies, inc., a company headquartered in Austin dedicated to developing clean energy technologies including high-performance electric motor system technology.
- Board Director, Caritas of Austin, a non-profit organization dedicated to fighting poverty, hunger and homelessness.
- Shareholder Litigation: Represented shareholder in minority shareholder oppression case filed in Austin, Texas. Case settled before trial.
- Fraud and breach of contract case brought by founding investor in company: result at trial resulted in one of the highest verdicts in the state.
- Breach of contract and fraud case brought by telecommunications company almost put out of business by one of the largest long-distance carriers in Mexico. Result at trial was one of the largest verdicts in the country.
- Patent Infringement: Represented owners of computer and cell phone patent in five infringement lawsuits brought in the Austin Division of the Western District of Texas. All cases resulted in settlements and licenses.
- Trademark Infringement and Defense: Represented Houston-based company in asserting and defending claims of trademark infringement in Houston and Boston. Cases in both Houston and Boston settled.
- Breach of Contract: Represented oil and gas company in lawsuit filed in Houston Division of the Southern District of Texas regarding breach of an acquisition agreement. Case settled early in litigation.
- Professional Liability: Represented United States Bankruptcy Trustee in legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty case filed in Austin, Texas. Case settled before trial and was approved by the bankruptcy court.
- Partnership Dispute: Represented partner in federal court in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty case.
- Copyright Infringement: Represented company in copyright infringement case filed against music label in Austin Division, Western District of Texas. Case settled early in litigation.
- Griffiths v. Golovina, et. al.; CAUSE NO. 2014-18161, Harris County, 270th District Court (Top 50 Verdict for Texas, www.topverdict.com), 2016
- 0800989127 WB, LLC (MARION) v. TMMS Holdings LLC, et. al; Cause No. D-1-GN-17-000347. (Lead counsel and obtained verdict for Plaintiff advertising company on claims of fraud, breach of contract and more. Verdict recognized by Verdictsearch and Topverdict.com as one of the top-50 highest verdicts in Texas for 2018)., 2018
- Andrew Katrinecz and David Byrd vs. Adesso, Inc., and Anyware Computer Accessories, Inc., et. al.; Cause No. 2:08-CV-00236; In the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Texas. (Lead counsel for Plaintiff inventors in patent infringement case. Settlement reached)
- Teleplus, Inc. v. Avantel, S.A., (W. D. Tex. Apr. 9, 2003)
- Joseph Kropka v. KML, Inc.; 201st District of Travis County
- Debby Wilie v. KJFK, Shamrock Communications, Inc. and Bill Simonson; 261st District Court of Travis County, Texas; Shamrock Communications, Inc. d/b/a KJFK v. Wilie
- Pamela Smith v. Dean Witter, Inc.; Civil Action No. SA-97-CA-1106; United States District Court for the Western District of Texas.
- Johnny J. Torrez and Sylvia A. Torrez v. Brookstreet Securities Corporation; Securities arbitration. (Lead counsel for investors. Award obtained after final hearing)
- Sierra Microwave Technology, Inc. v. Mitchell Family Trust; American Arbitration Association. Lead counsel for management buyout group; obtained award for client after final hearing.
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts Northern Districts of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Supreme Court of Texas
- U.S. District Courts Southern Districts of Texas
- Member, Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas, 1988
- U.S. District Courts Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Courts Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Supreme Court
- Member, Austin Bar Association, 1988
- Vanderbilt University, BA - Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 1984
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2005
- 0800989127 WB, LLC (MARION) v. TMMS Holdings LLC, ..., Top 50 United States Commercial Litigation Verdicts, Topverdict, 2018
- Member, ABOTA, Member, American Board of Trial Advocates , 2021
- AV rating, highest given in the area of legal ability and ethics, by Martindale-Hubbell., AV, preeminent rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, 1994
- 0800989127 WB, LLC (MARION) v. TMMS Holdings LLC, et. al; Cause No. D-1-GN-17-000347 (Lead counsel for Plaintiff marketing firm and obtained verdict on all claims, including quantum meruit), Highest Verdict in Texas for Quantum Meruit, Topverdict , 2018
- 0800989127 WB, LLC (MARION) v. TMMS Holdings LLC, et. al; Cause No. D-1-GN-17-000347 (Lead counsel for Plaintiff marketing firm and obtained verdict on all claims, including defamation and business disparagement), Highest Verdict in Texas for Defamation , Topverdict, 2018
- 0800989127 WB, LLC (MARION) v. TMMS Holdings LLC, et. al; Cause No. D-1-GN-17-000347. (Lead counsel and obtained verdict for Plaintiff advertising company on claims of fraud, breach of contract and more. Verdict recognized by Verdictsearch and Topverdict.com as one of the top-50 highest verdicts in Texas for 2018)., Top 50 Verdict in Texas, Verdictsearch and Topverdict.com, 2018
- Lead counsel for Plaintiff in Teleplus, Inc. v. Avantel, W.D. Tex. 2003, Top 100 Verdict in U.S., VerdictSearch, 2003
- Lead counsel for Plaintiff in Griffiths v. Golovina, et. al.; CAUSE NO. 2014-18161, Harris County, 270th District Court, Top 50 Texas Verdict , Topverdict.com, 2016
- Selected by ALM as a Top Rated Lawyer in IP Law, Top Rated Lawyer in IP Law, 2015
- Insurance Policyholders
- Investors and Shareholders
- LLC Members and Founders
- partnerships of all kinds
- Real Estate
Last Updated: 5/15/2022