Douglas K. O'Connell
Top Rated White Collar Crimes Attorney in Austin, TX
Attorney Douglas K. O'Connell is the founder and managing attorney of O’Connell West, PLLC in Austin, Texas. Nationally ranked as among the top trial attorneys in the country, Mr. O'Connell focuses his practice primarily on criminal defense, and he provides unmatched counsel and support to clients throughout the state who stand accused of serious criminal violations, including white collar crimes, administrative issues, and other state and federal offenses.
Over the course of his more than 26 years as a lawyer, Mr. O'Connell has served as both a felony and misdemeanor prosecutor in Travis County as well as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Austin. In these roles, he handled numerous criminal cases, including more than 100 jury trials, and his past prosecutorial experience has given him invaluable insight into the criminal justice system that enables him to devise the most effective defense strategies possible for the accused.
A retired colonel with the U.S Army Special Forces, Mr. O'Connell routinely represents both veterans as well as current servicemembers facing serious criminal charges or civil matters that threaten their military careers and benefits. He also devotes a portion of his practice to representing the rights and entitlements of those victimized by unethical business practices, powerful political interests or someone else's negligence.
No matter the issues his clients are facing, Mr. O'Connell delivers highly personalized counsel to help them fully understand their options so that they can make the best-informed decisions. He has also gained a reputation for his fierce advocacy and unwavering dedication to securing the favorable outcomes his clients expect and deserve in order to mitigate the potential consequences to their lives and futures.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. O'Connell has earned consistent top rankings and endorsements from his peers, including a Top 100 Trial Lawyer designation from the National Trial Lawyers. He has also received the Minute Man Award from the Enlisted Association of the National Guard for his excellent service to military members and veterans, and he has received "Superb" client ratings on Avvo.
Mr. O'Connell began his legal career in 1994 after obtaining his Juris Doctor from School of Law - Wake Forest University and his license to practice from the State Bar of Texas. He also earned his Master of Science in national security studies from the Naval Postgraduate School in 2008 as well as a Master of Arts in strategic studies from the United State Army War College in 2013.
Active in his legal community, Mr. O'Connell is a member of the Texas and Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Associations and the State Bar of Texas, among his other professional affiliations. He also conducts lectures and seminars across his region on a variety of legal topics, and he has testified before the Texas House of Representatives. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces.
- 30%Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 30%Criminal Defense
- 30%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Military/Veterans Law
Criminal Law - Federal, Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Sex Offenses, Criminal Domestic Violence, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Wrongful Death, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022
About Douglas K. O'Connell
First Admitted: 1994, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://dougoconnell.com/about/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Texas Lyceum (Past Director)
- Commissioner for the City of Austin’s Veterans Commission
- Board Member and Chair of the Veteran’s program Song writing with Soldiers
- Vestry member of his Episcopal Church
- Lecturer, University of Texas School of Law
- Admitted - United States Supreme Court
- Admitted United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Admitted to United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- US Government Top Secret Clearance. Additionally cleared for Sensitive Compartmentalized Information (TS-SCI), 2019
- Member - State Bar of Texas
- Special Forces Association
- Alumni - Texas Lyceum
- Selected - Pro Bono College of the Texas State Bar (2018)
- Fellow - Texas Bar Foundation (2016-2017)
- Selected for Texas Bar College (2017)
- Member - Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Past Director - Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Naval Postgraduate School - M.A., National Security Studies (Homeland Security)., 2008
- United States Army War College - MS, Strategic Studies, 2013
- Defense & Aerospace Industry
- Law Enforcement Officers
- Military Personnel
- National Security Law
- Security Clearances
Last Updated: 5/15/2022