Top rated criminal defense attorney in Austin, TexasLaw Office of E.G. Morris
Facing a criminal charge is serious, but it is by no means a conviction. As founder of the Law Office of E.G. Morris, E.G. “Gerry” Morris handles cases involving state and federal charges. He represents clients in Austin, Texas, and the surrounding areas, through every phase of the criminal justice process.
Having successfully defended clients for decades, Mr. Morris has an Avvo “Superb” rating; he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell; and he has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America.
The Texas Board of Legal Specialization has certified Mr. Morris as a criminal law specialist. He knows how to analyze the evidence brought against clients and build a strategy that dismantles the prosecution’s argument. As a skilled negotiator, he has obtained reduced charges and sentences for clients. In the courtroom, he is a fierce adversary who uses every resource at his disposal to cast doubt on the charges.
Of the many cases Mr. Morris has been involved in, perhaps the most notable concerned the Branch Davidian trial, in which members of the group were accused of murder, among other charges. Mr. Morris was able to secure an acquittal of all charges for his client.
A leader in the legal community, Mr. Morris is the former president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. (2015-16). He is also the former president of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. (1997-98).
Licensed to practice in Texas, Mr. Morris is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and all federal district courts in the state.
In 1977, Mr. Morris earned a Juris Doctor from The University of Texas at Austin School of Law.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: white collar, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Expungement, False accusations, Felony, Juvenile delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Criminal domestic violence, White collar crime, Criminal law - federal, DUI/DWI
- 40% Criminal defense
- 40% Criminal defense: white collar
- 20% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
First Admitted: 1977, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.egmlaw.com/attorney/g-g-morris/
- Board Certified as a Criminal Law Specialist, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Stephen F. Austin State University, 1973
- University of Texas School of Law, 1977
- President - National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2015
- Fellow, American Board of Criminal Lawyers, 2018
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 2018
- Former Chair, Travis County Bar, Criminal Law and Procedure Sections, 1987
- Texas, 1977
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District Texas
- President, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District Texas
- , Inductee- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Hall of Fame, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2018
- Recognized in Best Lawyers of America, 2012
- Recognized as one of the Texas Super Lawyers in 2004 by Texas Monthly Magazine
- Ranked "A-V" ("pre-eminent") by Martindale Hubbell’s legal directory
- Austin Super Lawyers, Austin Monthly, 2003
Office location for E.G. Morris
505 W. 12th St.
Austin, TX 78701