Ethan L. Shaw
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Austin, TexasShaw Cowart, LLP
Ethan L. Shaw, an AV-Preeminent* rated partner with Austin, Texas, law firm Shaw Cowart, LLP, is a nationally recognized trial attorney. He leads the fight for justice on behalf of small and large clients throughout the state of Texas, representing plaintiffs in personal injury and other tort cases as well as defending corporate clients in civil lawsuits that allege omissions and wrongful conduct.
In 2009, Mr. Shaw, along with co-counsel Tom Rhodes, successfully litigated a case that resulted in the eighth largest jury verdict for an individual plaintiff that year. Lawyers USA, a legal publication, ranked this case, Charles Tate v. Discovery Property & Casualty Company and JI Specialty Services Inc., as one of the most significant litigation results of the year.
Mr. Shaw has successfully settled and litigated hundreds of civil cases over his 30 years of legal practice. His practice areas include cases involving personal injury and wrongful death, nursing home negligence, business and commercial litigation, patent infringement, insurance bad faith, product liability, misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty cases, and antitrust litigation.
Mr. Shaw's practice is national in scope, reflecting the geographic diversity of his clients. He is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in civil trial law and personal injury law. Mr. Shaw is licensed to practice in the state courts of Texas and all federal district courts in Texas, as well as the Federal Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Mr. Shaw is a graduate of the University of Texas and earned his Juris Doctor from Texas Tech in 1990. In law school, he was active in the Order of Barristers and served as a member of staff. Prior to joining Shaw Cowart, LLP, he worked for Texas law firm Benckenstein, Norvell, Bernsen & Nathan.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Civil Litigation: Defense, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Non-Compete Agreements, Personal Injury - Defense, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 40% Business Litigation
- 40% Civil Litigation: Defense
- 20% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1990, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://www.shawcowart.com/ethan-l-shaw/
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2023
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2023
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2023
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Texas
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms. , 2016
- Member, State Bar College of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2023
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1987
- Board of Barristers Staff Member, Order of Barristers
- "AV" rated by Martindale Hubbell
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, 10 Best Client Satisfaction Award, 2016
- Lead counsel representing artificial bait manufacturer, reached confidential settlement in patent infringement litigation. Case No. 9:06cv28; Mooneyham Lures, Inc. v. Ebsco Industries, Inc. and Yum Baits Company; In the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas; Lufkin Division., 2010
- Lead counsel in a qui tam matter. Case No. 2:12-CV-0089-JRG; United States ex rel. Harman v. Trinity Industries, Inc. et al.; US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Marshall Division., 2015
- Lead counsel in a personal injury matter. Cause No. 2010-54278; Darrell Williams vs. Emerson Process Management Valve Automation; In the District Court of Harris County, Texas, 295th Judicial District, 2014
- Lead counsel in patent infringement matter. Cause No. 9:07cv70; E-Watch, Inc., a Nevada Corporation, and E-Watch Corporation, a Texas Corporation vs. Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., et al.; In the United States District Court; Eastern District of Texas, Beaumont Division., 2010
- Lead counsel in a personal injury matter. Cause No. 48-268665-13; Clarence Johnson vs. Emerson Electric Co. d/b/a Fusite and Emerson Climate Technologies, Inc.; In the 48th Judicial District Court of Tarrant County, Texas, 2015
- Lead counsel in a business litigation matter. Case No. D-1-GN-10-001901; Hillco Partners v Snapper Carr, Brandon Aghamalian and Focused Advocacy, LLC; In Travis County Judicial District Court., 2013
- Lead counsel representing individual plaintiffs in Sulzer hip mass action cases. Cause No. B- 164,774; Jewel Tucker, et al. vs. Sulzer Orthopedics, Inc., et al.; In the District Court of Jefferson County, Texas; 60th Judicial District Court., 2010
- Lead counsel in a motor vehicle accident. Cause No. D-1-GN-12-001864; James Kramer v. Trinity Industries, Inc.; In the 53rd Judicial District Court of Travis County, Texas, 2014
- Lead counsel in a personal injury matter. Case No. 1:10-cv-715; Giovanna Deleon v. Ronald Merrick; In the U.S. District Court; Western District of Texas, 2013
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, and in Personal Injury Law, by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1995, 2022
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, and in Personal Injury Law, by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2010
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, and in Personal Injury Law, by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2005, 2022
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, and in Personal Injury Law, by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2000
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law and Personal Injury by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2015
Office location for Ethan L. Shaw
1609 Shoal Creek Boulevard
Austin, TX 78701
- Super Lawyers: 2003, 2012 - 2023