Top rated Family Law attorney in Austin, TexasSheridan Family Law PLLC
Attorney JoAl Cannon-Sheridan is the founder and owner of Sheridan Family Law, PLLC, in Austin, Texas. Board certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Ms. Sheridan has more than 28 years of legal experience, and she provides unmatched legal counsel and support to clients throughout Austin, Travis County and the surrounding areas who are going through a divorce or have other serious legal issues affecting their families.
Over the course of her legal career, Ms. Sheridan has gained a reputation as a zealous advocate for her clients who provides skilled and determined legal counsel to help them obtained the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. She has handled numerous highly complex child custody and property division cases, with a particular focus on third-party custody and grandparents' rights as well as interstate jurisdictional matters.
At all turns, Ms. Sheridan provides strong yet compassionate representation to help set her clients' minds at ease while assisting them with making the important and tough decisions that will affect their families for years to come. Honored for her outstanding professionalism and service, she has earned an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with consistent top rankings and endorsements from her peers, including recognition from The Best Lawyers in America in Family Law.
Fully committed to her profession, Ms. Sheridan has become a leader in her field, and she has written extensively and conducted lectures and continuing legal education seminars on a variety of topics. She is also the immediate past president of the Austin Bar Association's Family Law Section and the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists. She has also served on several committees with the State Bar of Texas, including chair of its legislative committee and co-chair of its executive committee and Legal Services to the Poor committee.
Among her other notable appointments, Ms. Sheridan has served as Elected Director of the State Bar of Texas' Board of Directors, and she serves on the Texas Supreme Court's Board of Disciplinary Appeals as well as Chair of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers' Professionalism Committee. She is also a Fellow with the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, the International Academy of Family Lawyers and the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists.
A 1989 graduate of the University of Texas, Austin, Ms. Sheridan obtained her Juris Doctor from Baylor Law School in 1992, and she received the university's Baylor Young Lawyer of the Year Award in 2004.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1992, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.sheridanfamilylawyers.com/attorney/sheridan-joal...
- Professionalism Committee of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Chair
- State Bar of Texas, Legislative Committee, 2001
- Texas Supreme Court, Board of Disciplinary Appeals, Vice-Chair of the board, 2009-2013, Chair of the Board, 2013-2014
- State Bar of Texas, Legal Services to the Poor committee, Executive Committee, Co-Chair
- State Bar of Texas, Legislative Committee, Chair
- State Bar of Texas Family Law Section, Former Council member, 2001 - 2011
- Austin Bar Association Family Law Section, Immediate Past-President
- Texas Bar Foundation, Trustee (2007-2010)
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Immediate Past-President
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers, 2018 to present
- Fellow, 2011 through present; Chair of Professionalism and Congeniality Committee; Chair of Strategic Planning Implementation Task Force Committee--Marketing; Co-chair of CLE Planning Committee for 2019 CLE year; Member Legislation Committee; Member of Membership Committee
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism, Trustee (2005-2007)
- Director/Trustee Texas Family Law Foundation (lobbying arm of Family Law Section); Board member 2009-2019; Treasurer 2011-2012; Secretary 2012-2014; President-Elect 2014-2016; President 2016-2018; Immediate Past President 2018-2020, 2009
- State Bar of Texas District 2A Grievance Committee, Member (2003-2009)
- State Bar of Texas, Board of Directors (1998-2001, elected position); Outstanding 3rd Year Director, 1998
- Texas Family Law Section Council, Member (2001-2011)
- Baylor Law School Alumni Association, Director (2006-2010); President 2009-2010
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Fellow, Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Selected by the Dean of the law school and the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association in recognition of outstanding service to the profession, the community, and the ideals of Baylor Law School, Baylor Young Lawyer of the Year, 2004
- Top 50 Lawyers in Central and West Texas, Top 50 Lawyers in Central and West Texas, Super Lawyers/Texas Monthly, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law., Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, Thomson Reuters, US Reports, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, Thomson Reuters and US Reports, 2015
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2014
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, Thomson Reuters, 2017
- Appointed to the Board of Disciplinary Appeals by the Texas Supreme Court, serving second 3-year term--Vice Chair 2009-2012; Chair 2013-2014, Board of Disciplinary Appeals, Texas Supreme Court, 2008
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2015
- Recipient, Texas Presidential Citation Award of Merit, State Bar of Texas, 2001
- Board of Disciplinary Appeals--Member; Vice Chair 2009-2013; Chair 2013-2014, 2008
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2016
- Endowment Fund Committee
- Officer, Texas Family Law Foundation
- Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2008
Office location for JoAl Cannon-Sheridan
8303 N Mopac Expy
Austin, TX 78759
- Super Lawyers: 2004 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2004