Joseph F. Brophy
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Austin, TexasBrophy & Devaney
Mr. Brophy is a business and trial lawyer possessing substantial expertise in business transactions and civil litigation. He is uniquely qualified to represent individuals and businesses in a wide array of business transactions, disputes, and lawsuits.
Mr. Brophy’s extensive litigation experience, transactional experience, and private industry experience makes him exceptionally qualified to advise clients in connection with the negotiation and execution of business transactions and represent clients as lead counsel in a very wide array of litigation matters through a jury trial, a bench trial, or arbitration.
Mr. Brophy has substantial experience in the area of civil litigation on both sides of the docket, particularly business litigation, in federal and state courts across the United States. His litigation experience includes acting as lead counsel in virtually all types of civil lawsuits, including without limitation: contract and fraud, fiduciary duty, real estate, construction, securities, directors and officer’s liability, professional malpractice, energy, insurance, personal injury, unfair competition, intellectual property, and trade secrets.
Mr. Brophy has substantial experience handling a wide variety of business transactions, including contracts, business formation, private mergers and acquisitions, structured finance, banking matters, private fundraising, and energy transactions.
Mr. Brophy has been repeatedly selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, Top 100 Lawyers in America, America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, and various other publications.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Business/Corporate, Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
Business Formation and Planning, Business Organizations, Non-Compete Agreements, Trade Secret
- 70% Business Litigation
- 20% Business/Corporate
- 10% Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1993, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.bdlawpllc.com/read-more
- Volunteer Legal Services, volunteer at legal clinics for the poor (2000-2003)
- Austin Bar Association (Litigation, Business Law & Real Estate Sections)
- Board of Directors, Austin Young Layers Association (1998-2000)
- Texas Delegate, American Bar Association (1999)
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (2002-present)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Nominations Co-Chair for District IX (2003)
- Co-Chair and Vice-Chair, TYLA/ACTL National Trial Competition (2000-2004)
- Board Member, Texas Young Lawyers Association (2000-2004)
- TYLA Liaison, State Bar of Texas Litigation Council (2001-2004)
- Editorial Board Member for “The Advocate” published by the State Bar of Texas Litigation Council (2003-2006)
- Barrister, Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court CXVIII (2004-2007)
- Chair and Co-Chair, Austin’s Ultimate Trial Notebook Seminar (2005-2008)
- Austin Bar Association Litigation Council: Past Chair (2009-2010), Chairman of the Board (2007-2008), Vice-Chair (2006-2007), Board Member (2001-2005)
- Senior Associate Editor, St. Mary’s Law Journal, St. Mary’s University School of Law
- , Princeton Global Networks’ Top 100 Lawyers in America (2013-2014)
- , Phi Delta Phi Academic Honor Fraternity, St. Mary’s University School of Law
- , John Harlan Academic Honor Society, St. Mary’s University School of Law
- , Texas’ Best Lawyers in the Houston Chronicle, Dallas Morning News, San Antonio Express-News, the Wall Street Journal
- , Thomson Reuter's Texas Super Lawyers Top Rated Business & Securities Litigation Lawyers-Austin (2016)
- , BL Ranking's Best Lawyers, Texas Best Lawyers (2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019), Austin and San Antonio editions
- , America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
- , BL Ranking's Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation (2013-2020)
Office location for Joseph F. Brophy
317 Grace Lane
Austin, TX 78746
- Super Lawyers: 2011, 2021 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2004 - 2005