Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Austin, TX
- Free Consultation
A shareholding partner at the Austin, Texas, law firm of Kostura & Putman, P.C, attorney Judy Kostura has been representing personal injury victims in the Austin and San Antonio metro areas since 1985. She aggressively fights for the rights of her clients who have been harmed due to the careless behavior of others and helps them seek financial compensation for the losses they suffered.
Having seen, at a very young age, her parents separate and face the legal system, Ms. Kostura understands firsthand the stress her clients go through while facing legal issues and the need for the right legal assistance. She provides a compassionate ear and personalized services to victims of commercial vehicle accidents, car and motorcycle accidents, premises accidents, burn injuries, brain damage, animal attacks and more.
After completing her Bachelor of Arts degree with honors at The University of Texas in 1977, Ms. Kostura earned her doctorate of jurisprudence in 1980 from The University of Texas School of Law. During law school, she served as an assistant at the Sergeant at Arms of the United States House of Representatives and as a law clerk at an esteemed law firm.
Licensed in Texas since 1980, Ms. Kostura has helped many clients secure compensation in excess of $1 million. She is frequently appointed as guardian ad litem by Travis County courts to represent children who faced injuries due to the reckless actions of their parents or other individuals.
A long-serving member of the State Bar of Texas, Ms. Kostura was given the Gene Cavin Award for Excellence in Continuing Legal Education, a prestigious honor bestowed upon only a few members who contribute to the organization. She is a fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation and a recipient of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association’s John Howie Spirit of Mentorship Award. Furthermore, she is the former president of the Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association (CATLA). She is also rated “Superb” on Avvo.
Ms. Kostura’s knowledge and experience in her field have encouraged many organizations and educational institutions to request her as a speaker and presenter. She has spoken at seminars sponsored by the American Association for Justice, The University of Texas School of Law and the State Bar of Texas.
- 100%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Wrongful Death, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2022
About Judy Kostura
First Admitted: 1980, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://kosturaputmanlaw.com/our-firm/judy-kostura/
- Texas Trial Lawyers Assn.: Executive and Nominating Committees (2005-2006) (2017-2018) Vice President of CLE (2018); Committees: CLE, Communications, Listserv, Budget
- College of State Bar (various years)
- Pro Bono College of Law, over 100 hours of Pro Bono Public Service 1992 and 1993
- Travis County Bar Association, Board of Directors (1995-1998)
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Western District, Federal Court: 1988
- Texas Supreme Court: 1980
- State Bar of Texas Course Director Advanced Evidence & Discovery CLE, 2016
- State Bar of Texas Course Director Advanced Personal Injury CLE, 2013
- State Bar of Texas Course Director Damages CLE, 2011
- Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association: (President 1999-2000, President Elect 1998-1999, Secretary Treasurer 1997-1998, Executive Committee through 2015)
- Lawyer Referral Service Board of Trustees (1991-2018, Chair 1995-1998)
- University of Texas Law School, 1980
- https://www.texaswatch.org/, Champion of Justice, Texas Watch, 2019
- Texas Trial Lawyers Assn. Resolution of Appreciation for Legis. Contributions 2013
- Texas Monthly Top 50 Central/West Texas 2016
- Texas Monthly Top 50 Texas Women 2016
- Texas Monthly Super Lawyers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell (highest ranking for competence and ethics)
- The John Howie Spirit of Mentorship Award was created in 2005 to recognize an attorney's contributions to the plaintiff's personal injury bar and to promote professionalism and high standards for the benefit of lawyers and our clients., John Howie Spirit of Mentorship Award, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, 2006
- Approved as Guardian ad Litem for Minors' Settlements Travis County, 2020
- Using medical records effectively and ethically to advance your client's case, author, presenter, Client Medical Records: Don't Commit Malpractice, Texas Trial Lawyers Assn Mid-Year CLE, Plaintiffs Personal Injury Attorneys, 2020
- Continuing Legal Education Topics: Course Director: State Bar of Texas Damages Seminar, February 2011
- Continuing Legal Education Topics: Course Director: State Bar of Texas Advanced Personal Injury Seminar, 2013
- Continuing Legal Education Topics: Course Director: State Bar of Texas Advanced Evidence & Discovery, 2016
- Continuing Legal Education Topics: Effective Demand Letters to Maximize Damages; Medical Records Privilege and Ethics of Redacting Medical Records; Sufficiency of the Evidence on Appeal; Subrogation and Liens in Personal Injury Cases; Client Communications; In re North Cypress Webinar; Tex. Civ. Prac. Rem. Code 18.001 Affidavits Legislative Update 2019
- Author and Continuing Education Presenter: American Assn. of Justice, Texas Trial Lawyers Assn., UT School of Law, State Bar of Texas, University of Houston Law School, South Texas College of Law, Texas Advanced Paralegal Seminar, Capital Area Trial Lawyers Assn., Austin Bar Assn., South Plains Trial Lawyers Assn., Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Author, Personal Injury Form Book for West Publishing Co.
- Subrogation and Liens in Personal Injury Recoveries has been presented each year for the past several years at continuing education seminars across Texas and nationally. Other attorneys have also requested, and been granted, permission to use this treatise as the recognized authoritative work for presentations by the State Bar and AAJ., Author, Subrogation and Liens in Personal Injury Recoveries, State Bar of Texas; American Association for Justice, Texas Trial Lawyers Assn, University of Texas Law School Car Crash CLE, Texas Trial Lawyers Association; University Of Texas, 2020
- Presented a 158 page paper and power point to assist colleagues in advocating for their clients by incorporating photos, videos, medical literature, witness statements, in the demand letter and carrying through to a successful trial, author, presenter, Demand Letters that Maximize Recovery for Damages, Texas Trial Lawyers Association Car Wrecks Seminar, Plaintiffs Personal Injury Attorneys, 2019
- I was invited to serve as presenter and panel member., author, presenter, Ethics of Redacting Medical Records to Protect Client Privacy, 34th Annual TALFS Trial Institute in San Francisco, California, Texas Academy Of Family Law Specialists, 2019
- Combating Defense Discovery to Medical Care Providers, co-presenter, author, In re North Cypress webinar, Texas Trial Lawyers Assn Rapid Response Webinar, Plaintiffs Personal Injury Attorneys, 2018
- This paper served as the basis for a moderated panel discussion on the increasingly heightened standards imposed by the Texas Supreme Court for legally and factually sufficient evidence. Texas Supreme Court opinions from 1995 to 2014 were analyzed as well as the published works of three legal scholars., Author and Co-Presenter, Sufficiency of the Evidence Standards, State Bar of Texas, 2014
- This treatise examines the Texas Supreme Court's 2011 decision interpreting the 2003 paid or incurred statute, one of the most significant personal injury laws passed by the legislature. It also examines different funding mechanisms for personal injury suits and methods of presenting, proving, and maximizing damages., Author and Presenter, Paid and Incurred: The Effect of Haygood v. Escabedo, State Bar of Texas, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, 2013
- Representation limited to serious injury and wrongful death, 2020
Last Updated: 9/2/2022