Top rated energy & natural resources attorney in Austin, TexasJackson Sjoberg & Townsend LLP
Practice Areas: Energy & natural resources
Licensed in Texas since: 1990
Education: St. Mary's University School of Law
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Matt Sjoberg has over thirty years of experience in representing both oil and gas producers and mineral owners in the State and Federal Courts of Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and before the Railroad Commission of Texas. He represents clients on both sides of the docket and has served as lead trial and appellate counsel in disputes involving title matters, competing surface uses, executive rights, non-participating royalty interests, joint operating agreements, farmout agreements, oilfield contamination, lease termination, and lease maintenance, among others. Matt’s training and experience as a petroleum geologist give him a unique ability to understand and communicate with his clients about their goals. In addition, Matt frequently negotiates oil, gas and mineral leases for mineral owners and oil companies. Matt has also represented clients in several large transactions involving the purchase and sale of oil and gas properties and the acquisition of properties for mining purposes.
First Admitted: 1990, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://jacksonsjoberg.com/attorneys/matt-sjoberg/
- Matt served as trial and appellate counsel in the following selected cases:XTO Energy Inc. v. EOG Resources, Inc., 554 S.W.3d 127 (Tex. App. – San Antonio 2018, no pet.);Springer Ranch, Ltd. v. Jones, 421 S.W.3d 273 (Tex. App . – San Antonio 2013, no pet.);Merriman v. XTO Energy Inc., 407 S.W.3d 244 (Tex. 2013);R.M. Crowe Property Services Co., L.P. v. Strategic Energy, LLC, 348 S.W.3d 444 (Tex. App. – Dallas 2011, no pet.);In re John G. and Marie Stella Kenedy Memorial Foundation, 315 S.W.3d 519 (Tex. 2010);Frost Nat. Bank v. Fernandez, 315 S.W.3d 494 (Tex. 2010); andHobbs v. Alcoa, Inc., 501 F.3d 395 (5th Cir. 2007).
- Board Certified, Oil, Gas And Mineral Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization; Licensed Geologist, Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists; No. 3676
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member of the American Law Institute
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022