Top rated General Litigation attorney in Austin, TexasHowry Breen & Herman LLP
Attorney Randy Howry is a partner with Howry, Breen & Herman, L.L.P., law firm in Austin, Texas. A nationally ranked trial lawyer with more than 35 years of total legal experience, Mr. Howry provides unmatched counsel and support to clients throughout Texas and across the United States who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Product liability
· Business and commercial litigation
· Medical and pharmaceutical injuries
· Insurance claims
· Catastrophic injuries
· Real estate litigation
· Personal injury
Known for his exceptional trial skills, Mr. Howry holds his board certification in personal injury trial law and civil trial law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and he has achieved a long record of securing the favorable outcomes his clients expect and deserve as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. As an attorney, he has gained a reputation for his candor along with his compassion and integrity when dealing with his clients as well as his aggressive approach to helping them find the positive results they seek.
In honor of his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Howry has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with perennial designation as a Top 100 Attorney from America's Top Attorneys. He has also received consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America© along with the organization's Lawyer of the Year award in 2019 and 2020. He has also received designation as a 7- and 8-Figure litigator as well as many other top rankings and endorsements from his peers.
A 1980 graduate of the University of Texas, Mr. Howry obtained his Juris Doctor from South Texas College of Law in 1985. While there, he served as president of the board of advocates, and he received the Dean Garland Walker Award for Outstanding Student. In addition, he and his team won national and state moot court competition championships.
Mr. Howry is a Life Fellow with the prestigious Texas Bar Foundation as well as the American Board of Trial Advocates and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is also a Founding Fellow of the Austin Bar Foundation, and he is an active member of the American Trial Lawyers Association, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the Texas Trial Lawyers Association and many other local, state and national legal organizations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
1900 Pearl Street
Austin, TX 78705
4411 South IH-35,
Georgetown, TX 78626
By Appointment Only
Practice areasGeneral Litigation, Business Litigation, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Insurance Coverage, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff, Real Estate: Business
Bad Faith Insurance, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Dram Shop Laws, Insurance, Litigation, Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Motor Vehicle Defects, Non-Compete Agreements, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Pharmaceutical, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trade Secret, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 30% General Litigation
- 20% Business Litigation
- 20% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10% Insurance Coverage
- 10% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 10% Real Estate: Business
First Admitted: 1985, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.howrybreen.com/attorneys/randy-howry/
- HBH won a settlement in a workplace accident with a tractor, where a ranch hand was run over by an inattentive worker. Net to Client $580,000; expenses $22,200; attorney fees $400,000
- Attorneys Sean Breen and Chris Lavorato, along with California co-counsel Ara Jabagchourian, secured one of California’s Top 100 Settlements for 2019 (awarded by The Recorder in conjunction with VerdictSearch) after representing a client who was seriously injured on a motorcycle, when he was struck by a vehicle on the Pacific Coast Highway in Sunset Beach, California. Our client sustained a broken leg, wrist, nose, and fractured vertebrae at C7 and sought damages for economic and non-economic losses. Liability in the case was hotly contested, and while aggressively and efficiently prosecuting the case in discovery, the case settled for the full policy limits of $1,250,000. (Net to client $744,785.54; Costs 5214.47; Attorney fees 500,000).
- HBH secured a settlement for the victim of an accident with an 18 wheeler. The 18-wheeler made a dangerous left turn without yielding to oncoming traffic; killing a driver traveling in the opposite direction. We recovered policy limits for his wife and their child. Wife had just found out she was pregnant when the husband was killed. Net to clinet $1,106,000; expenses $4,000; attorney fees $490,000
- HBH recovered for brain and significant personal injuries to a cyclist when struck by a car on Loop 360 in Austin. The cyclist was on the shoulder when the driver drifted while not paying attention and struck him. Even though wearing a helmet, he suffered a traumatic brain injury and will need long-term medical care. $1,540,000 net to client; $52,000 case expenses $920,000 attorney fees.
- HBH recovered a settlement against a major hotel chain for an airline pilot that was injured when a bar chair in a hotel lounge broke causing our client to fall backwards. The same make and model chair had experienced 7 prior failures in the bar. Our client suffered serious and permanent injury and was no longer able to work in the aviation field. $977,000 net to client; $72,000 case expenses; $700,000 attorney’s fees.
- We represented the family of a woman killed by a negligent driver and negligent trucking company. Both initially denied all responsibility but after we sued them and conducted depositions and expert testimony, they settled and we secured all available insurance. $1,081,380 net to client; $100,619 case expenses: $888,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH recovered for a client on a motorcycle who was severely injured and suffered amputation of his leg when struck by a negligent tractor-trailer in a negligently designed traffic redirection zone. HBH filed suit and recovered against the truck driver and his company first, and then prosecuted the case against the road contractor for negligent work regarding the roadway. $1,090,000 net to client; $130,000 case expenses; $780,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH recovered for a hospital against a construction general contractor and a flooring sub for defective concrete slab work and flooring. The Defendants improperly installed flooring which later bubbled up and caused serious issues, including problems in operating rooms. HBH took the case on contingent fee and aggressively moved it to trial where the case settled. $1,510,000 net to client; $200,000 cases expenses; $1,140,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH secured a settlement for a developer who suffered damages due to the negligence of design professionals and subcontractors in a downtown Austin condo redo project. The professionals and subs were negligent and caused damage to the structure during the renovation project, causing additional expenses to repair it and lost profits during the delay needed to repair. HBH set the case for trial and recovered full settlement after taking the depositions of the corporate representatives. $1,669,000 net to client; $130,491.71 case expenses; $1,059,318 attorney’s fees.
- HBH recovered a settlement for a juvenile client who was abused and shot on private property. The settlement also had safeguards to prevent further abuse and contact with the victim. Net to client $1,468,000; expenses $32,000; Attorney Fees 1,000,000
- HBH recovered a settlement for the family of a 19-year-old who drowned in a hotel swimming pool. HBH sued a national hotel brand and prepared the case for trial against multiple law firms, proving that the hotel was negligent in failing to provide a safe pool. $1,756,355 net to client; $164,644 case expenses; $1,280,000 attorney’s fees.
- Secured a settlement for the family of a father who was killed and children injured as a result of a drunk driver who was overserved at a bar. The at fault driver visited a sports bar and consumed excessive amounts of alcohol and proceeded to drive home. The sports bar failed to stop serving the alcoholic beverages even though the patron displayed obvious signs of intoxication. Net to Clients $2,619,666; expenses$103,000; attorneys fees 1,064,000.
- HBH recovered against a major airline and medical group for a client who suffered a heart attack on an international flight yet the airline refused to divert and land the plane to provide essential medical treatment. The pilot and a doctor connected by radio on the ground both refused to divert the plane for treatment, causing massive damage to the client’s heart due to delay in treatment. $2,143,132 net to client; $276,867 case expenses; $1,580,000 attorney’s fees
- We represented a young man who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a crash caused by a drunk driver. While he worked hard to recover and was able to finish college and get a job, his brain injury posed economic losses and long term issues of health care and earning capacity. We filed suit and hired 6 experts and prepared a lifecare plan supported by medical evidence to compensate him for his loss and protect his future. $2,941,000 net to client; $97,736 cases expenses; $1,352,000 attorney’s fees
- HBH recovered a settlement for a client that was rendered a quadriplegic in a swimming pool that was not filled to the proper level. Due to the low level, the client suffered a spinal cord injury when diving into the pool. $2,457,000 net to client; $321,583 case expenses; $2,000,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH prosecuted a case against a major car manufacturer and recovered a settlement for the family and client who suffered amputations and was severely burned in a post-crash fuel fed fire due to a product defect. The gas tank was not designed and equipped with a device to keep gas from spilling out if the vehicle rolled over in an accident. $2,562,000 net to client; $139,138.00 case expenses; attorney’s fees $1,800,000.
- HBH won an Arbitration award for a client against an insurance company for bad faith non-payment of policy proceeds. The litigation spanned two years and involved witnesses from all over the world and with experts in numerous fields. Net to Client $6,890,665.62; Costs $364,545.90; Attorney Fees 2,744,789.48
- HBH secured a settlement prior to trial for a client who was permanently injured by a premises liability and construction defect. Our client suffered spinal damage and other life-long injuries and required medical treatment the rest of her life. $3,365,000 net to client; $235,300 case expenses; $2,400,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH won a multi-party settlement for the family and young son of a woman tragically killed in a boating crash. HBH was the lead firm on the case. $4,400,000 net to client; $150,000 case expenses $2,900,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH secured a settlement for a multi-story building that was suffering damage due to construction defects. The recovery included all attorney’s fees and expenses to repair the building. $6,558,000 net to client; $745,000 case expenses; $3,597,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH won a record-setting 12.4 Million Dollar jury verdict for a young man paralyzed in a diving accident in an apartment swimming pool. The verdict was the largest premises liability verdict in Texas at the time and led to changes in pool safety at apartment complexes that catered to college students. After a $7,578,417 reduction for contributory negligence and settlement on appeal, $2,475,000 net to client; $321,583 case expenses; $2,025,000 attorney’s fees.
- HBH won a record-setting 15.8 Million Dollar jury verdict for a client and her family after she was rendered quadriplegic when she was struck and run over by a defective runaway E-Z-GO golf cart/utility vehicle. It is the largest personal injury verdict in the history of that federal district. HBH also protected the verdict on appeal, winning that too. After a $7,367,684 reduction for credits and offsets, $4,038,316.00 net to client, $600,000 case expenses; $3,794,000 attorney’s fees.
- Adjunct Professor, The University of Texas
- University of Texas, Bachelor of Journalism, 1980
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 10 Business Tort Trial Lawyers 2012 - 2013
- South Texas College of Law, Dean Garland Walker Award for Outstanding Student; Alumnus of the Year, 2009
- Recognition in The Best Lawyers in America for Bet the Company Litigation 2009 and Commercial Litigation 2006, (by BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America, in Litigation – Real Estate 2012, 2018, Construction 2017, 2019, Trusts and Estates 2020 (by BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC)
- America's Top 100 - Lifetime Achievement Award by America’s Top 100 Attorneys, 2018
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell since 2018
- America's Top 100 - High Stakes Litigators by America’s Top 100 Attorneys, 2017, 2019, 2020
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firm” 2020, Tier 1, 2 and 3 firm regionally ranked in 7 practice areas (by “U.S. News” and BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC )
- Texas Super Lawyers List, by Thomson Reuters, 2003 - 2020
- Top American Lawyers - Lifetime Charter Membership, 2017
- Named the Best Lawyers 2012 and 2018 Litigation – Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin (by BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC)
- Named the Best Lawyers 2019 Litigation - Construction “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin (by BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC)
- Named the Best Lawyers 2020 Litigation and Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin, (by BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC)
- 7 Figure Litigators, 8 Figure Litigators, America’s High-Stakes Litigators, 2020
- The South Texas College of Law Alumni Association honors Randy R Howry ’85 as the 2009 Distinguished Alumnus. The Alumni Association honors one graduate each year for their service to the college, the profession, and the community. Howry is a partner in the Austin litigation firm of Howry Breen LLP where he handles commercial and employment litigation, insurance and medical malpractice cases, and wrongful death, wills and trust, and real estate litigation. Howry serves on the South Texas College of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors and is a director of the Texas Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates. He is the president-elect of the West Austin Youth Association and is a former president of the Austin Bar Association., Distinguished Alumnus, South Texas College of Law, 2009
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Fellow
- West Austin Youth Association
- Texas Beta Student Aid Fund
- Real Estate Council of Austin
- Austin Chamber of Commerce
- The Texas Center for Legal Ethics & Professionalism
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas District 9A Grievance Committee
- Austin Bar Foundation, Founding Fellow
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Williamson County Bar Association
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Past-President, Austin Bar Association; Past-President, American Board of Trial Advocates Director, State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law 1991 and Civil Trial Law 1992, by The Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 2013
Office location for Randy Howry
1900 Pearl Street
Austin, TX 78705
- Super Lawyers: 2003 - 2023
Top ListsTop 50: Central/West Texas Super Lawyers: 2006, 2008 - 2010, 2014, 2021 - 2022
- Top 50: 2022 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2021 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2014 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2010 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2009 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2008 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2006 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers
Certificates and credentials
Civil Trial Law
Personal Injury Trial Law