Tracy J. Willi
Top Rated Appellate Attorney in Austin, TX
Tracy J. Willi focuses her practice on estate planning, estate litigation, and civil appeals. She is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and she is a Registered U.S. Patent Attorney. Ms. Willi handles standard appeals from jury trials and bench trials, interlocutory appeals, petitions for writ of mandamus, and petitions for review.
Having been licensed to practice law in Texas since 1992, Ms. Willi has extensive trial and appellate experience involving business law, civil and commercial law, real estate law, patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, probate, and bankruptcy, much of which is reflected in published trial court and appellate decisions.
Ms. Willi has represented clients at all levels of Texas courts including County Courts, District Courts, Courts of Appeals, and the Texas Supreme Court. She has also represented clients at all levels of federal courts including District Courts, Courts of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
About Tracy J. Willi
First Admitted: 1992, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://www.willi.com/attorneys/tracy-j-willi
Pro bono/Community Service
- Austin Bar & Grill - Austin attorneys volunteer their time and talents in an annual performance at the Paramount Theatre to support Austin Young Lawyers Association programs providing legal aid to the public.
- June 30, 2010 - U.S. Western District of Texas Opinion in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client Reducing Punitive Damages from $7.5 Million to $1.9 Million Willi Law Firm was hired after a jury rendered a verdict, which included a finding of $7.5 million in punitive damages. The case involved allegations of breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference with contract, tortious interference with prospective business relations, and conspiracy to misappropriate trade secrets. In post-trial motions, Willi Law Firm argued for a reduction of punitive damages on multiple grounds. Judge Robert Pitman issued an opinion reducing the jury's award of punitive damages from $7.5 million to $1.9 million.
- March 24, 2010 - Texas Third Court of Appeals Opinion in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client Affirming Probate Court Judgment and Awarding Additional $30,000 in Penalties on Appeal
- February 1, 2010 - U.S. Western District of Texas Opinion in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client Dismissing Case for Lack of Personal Jurisdiction
- November 5, 2009 - U.S. Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court Opinion in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client Granting Homestead Exemption for Mobile Home Park
- August 28, 2009 - U.S. Southern District of Texas Opinion Affirms Decision of Trial Court in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client on Homestead Exemption
- February 3, 2009 - U.S. Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Opinion in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client After Bench Trial on the Issue of Homestead
- February 3, 2009 - Jury Verdict and Harris County Court at Law Judgment in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client on Sufficiency of Real Estate Description and Entitlement to Funds in Registry of Court
- January 25, 2008 - Texas Supreme Court Opinion in Favor of Willi Law Firm's Client on Sufficiency of Real Property Description in AIC Management v. Crews, 246 S.W.3d 640 (Tex. 2008)
- Tracy J. Willi, Protecting Client Confidences Before, During and After Representation: Issues Raised in Attorney Disqualification Cases, Travis County Bar Association Ethics Seminar (May 2001); Tracy J. Willi, Civil Appellate Update, Travis County Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section Meeting (November 2000); Tracy J. Willi, The New Texas Discovery Rules: What the Appellate Lawyer Needs to Know, Appellate Advocate Newsletter, Texas State Bar Appellate Practice Section (July 1999); Tracy J. Willi, What to Do Once You Get There: Motions, Brief Writing, Rehearing, Appellate Institute - Practice Before the First and Fourteenth Court of Appeals, Houston Bar Association Appellate Practice Section (1999); Tracy J. Willi, Civil Appellate Update, Houston Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section Meeting (March 1999); Tracy J. Willi, Civil Appellate Update, Houston Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section Meeting (January 1997); Helen Cassidy, JoAnn Storey, and Tracy J. Willi, Preservation of Error - Precharge, 10th Annual Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course, Texas State Bar, Appellate Practice Section (September 1996)
Other Outstanding Achievements
- University of Texas Varsity Cheerleader (1986-1989)
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Texas, Appellate Section
- State Bar of Texas, Women in the Profession Committee, Chair (2003-2005)
- Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Western and Southern Districts of Texas
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Fifth Circuit and Sixth Circuit Courts of Appeals
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A. Biology, 1989
- Civil Appeals
- Estate Litigation
- Estate Planning
Last Updated: 6/21/2022