Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Dallas, TX
Alex Whitman is a partner at Cunningham Swaim, LLP. The people of Los Angeles, California; Dallas, Texas; and Atlanta, Georgia, come to him for skilled representation in legal matters of business litigation, aviation law, intellectual property, collections and contract disputes, and product liability. Also experienced in appellate law, Mr. Whitman is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts for the Middle, Northern and Southern Districts of Florida; the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas; the United States 5th Court of Appeals, all Texas state courts and all Florida courts.
In 2007, Mr. Whitman graduated with honors from the University of Florida, earning a Bachelor of Arts in history and political science. He then went on to Emory University School of Law, where he obtained a Juris Doctor, again graduating with honors in 2010. In the same year, he was given the Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing and won the American Constitution Society National Student Writing Competition.
Mr. Whitman is a member of the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, the Dallas Bar Association, the Texas Young Lawyers Association, the State Bar of Texas and the Florida Bar. In 2014, he also taught at Emory University School of Law as a faculty member in the Kessler Eidson Trial Techniques Program.
Bringing advocacy and writing skills along with a strong work ethic to the firm, Mr. Whitman has experience as a federal clerk, which gives him insight into the courts at all levels, from a lawsuit’s beginning until the appeal process.
About Alex Whitman
First Admitted: 2010, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.cunninghamswaim.com/attorney/alex-whitman/
- After the Crash, Where Do You Land? (forthcoming publication for SMU Air Law Symposium, March 2015, with Don Swaim and Steve Sanfelippo)
- Assessing Atlantic Marine: How the Supreme Courts Strengthening of the Forum Selection Clause Will Impact Aviation Cases, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Air and Space Law Committee Newsletter, Vol. 1, No. 2
- From the Shores of Tripoli to the Deserts of Iraq: Congress and the President in Offensive and Defensive Wars, 13 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law 1363 (2011)
- Pinpoint Redistricting and the Minimization of Partisan Gerrymandering, 59 Emory Law Journal 211 (2009)
- Faculty Member, Kessler Eidson Trial Techniques Program, Emory University School of Law, 2014
- Executive Symposium Editor, Emory Law Journal
- University of Florida, B.A. with honors, History and Political Science, 2007 Honor: Florida Blue Key Leadership HonoraryHonor: Anderson Scholar with High DistinctionHonor: Cambridge University Study Abroad Program
- Mary Laura “Chee” Davis Award for Legal Writing Excellence
- Winner, 2010 American Constitution Society National Student Writing Competition
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence: Labor Arbitration Practice (Fall 2008), Separation of Powers (Fall 2009), Politics and Democratic Governance (Spring 2010)
- Paul Bryan Prize for Constitutional Law
- 2010 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- The Florida Bar
- Dallas Bar Association
Last Updated: 7/8/2022