J. Austin Curry
Top rated intellectual property litigation attorney in Dallas, TexasCaldwell Cassady & Curry
Practice Areas: Intellectual property litigation
Licensed in Texas since: 2007
Education: University of Virginia School of Law
John Austin Curry is a trial lawyer who focuses on patent infringement disputes and cases involving advanced technologies, including various technologies in the fields of electrical engineering, computer science, oil field services, and medical devices. He has helped clients win trial verdicts totaling more than $2 billion.
Mr. Curry’s work is consistently recognized by his peers in the legal community, including his selection to The Best Lawyers in America since 2017 and D Magazine's 2016 listing of the Best Lawyers in Dallas. He also has been recognized on the annual Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars list of the state’s top young attorneys since 2014, including being named among Texas Top 100 Up-and-Coming lawyers in 2017.
Prior to founding Caldwell Cassady & Curry, Mr. Curry worked in industry at a semiconductor manufacturer where he developed a software application for secure near-range consumer transactions to demonstrate the potential of a reduced instruction set chipset.
Mr. Curry earned his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law after graduating valedictorian in his engineering and mathematics class at Southern Methodist University. He now serves as a member of SMU’s Lyle School of Engineering Executive Board.
First Admitted: 2007, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://caldwellcc.com/bio-j-austin-curry/
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Southern Methodist University, B.S. (Electrical Engineering and Mathematics), Valedictorian, summa cum laude, 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court – 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas – 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas – 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri – 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas – 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit – 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas – 2008
- New York State– 2013
The Best Lawyers in America - 2017-present, Name Principal, The Best Lawyers in America, 2018
- #1 U.S. Plaintiffs' Patent Firm - IAM Patent 1000-The World's Leading Patent Professionals - 2017, Name Principal, IAM Patent 1000, 2017
- Best Lawyers in Dallas - D Magazine - 2016, Name Principal, D Magazine, 2016
- Texas Rising Stars – 2014-present, Name Principal, Texas Rising Stars, 2018
- Texas Intellectual Property Litigation Department of the Year - Texas Lawyer - 2017, Name Principal, Texas Lawyer newspaper, 2017
Mr. Curry helped Acantha LLC win an $8.2 million patent infringement verdict against medical device manufacturer DePuy Synthes, a subsidiary of health care giant Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Acantha LLC v. Depuy Synthes, 2018
Mr. Curry helped secure a unanimous $502.6 million patent infringement verdict for Nevada-based VirnetX Inc. (NYSEAMERICAN: VHC) against Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Tyler Division., 2018
Mr. Curry helped a group of Texas property owners turn back the federal government in its attempt to seize nearly 90,000 acres of land located near the Red River along the Texas/Oklahoma border. Aderholt, et al. v. U.S. Bureau of Land Management, et al., 2017
Mr. Curry helped Nevada-based VirnetX Inc. win a $302 million verdict against technology giant Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) based on an East Texas jury’s finding that Apple infringed internet security patents owned by VirnetX. VirnetX Inc. v. Apple Inc., 2017
- Bedrock Computer Techs v. Google Inc.
- VirnetX Inc. v. Apple Inc.
- i4i Limited Partnership v. Microsoft Corp.
- Dr. Robert Morley v. Square Inc.
- VirnetX v. Microsoft Corp.
- Smartflash Litigation
- Super Lawyers: 2022
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2022