James B. Greer
Top rated business litigation attorney in Dallas, TexasRandall | Greer, PLLC
I represent financial institutions, Fortune 500 companies, middle market enterprises, business executives, and defrauded investors, in disputes involving allegations of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud, and claims arising under the Texas Uniform Commercial Code.
My depth of experience–which includes first chair involvement in prosecuting and defending complex class action and multidistrict litigation–centers in three primary areas: financial services litigation, commercial disputes, and oil and gas litigation. This experience includes:
Banking and Financial Services
Representation of banks, and bank holding companies, in litigation involving:
● Alleged abusive overdraft practices,
● Alleged systemic mortgage serving abuses,
● Alleged systemic violations of consumer protection and debt collection laws,
● Breach of trust and fiduciary claims,
● Forged endorsement and check fraud claims, and
● Claims involving funds stolen or misappropriated by wire transfer.
Business Litigation/Commercial Disputes
● Partnership, joint venture, and limited liability company disputes involving fiduciary, accounting, and misappropriation of trade secret and business opportunities claims.
● Disputes involving offshore investment vehicles,
● Aircraft maintenance and warranty disputes, and
● Warranty disputes involving industrial equipment and commercial building products.
Oil and Gas
● Allegations of securities fraud arising from oil and gas investments,
● Disputes among working-interest owners and operators regarding development and operations, including the defense of actions seeking appointment of receiver operator, and
● Royalty disputes premised on allegations of improper development and/or calculation of royalty interests.
Recent Victories (2017- 2018)
● Obtained dismissal of preemptive declaratory judgment action on behalf of national bank in the Northern District of Texas seeking to invalidate 7.8 million-dollar aircraft loan ―Dismissal affirmed by Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals after oral argument.
● Obtained complete summary judgment on behalf of national bank in Texas state court Texas UCC (§ 3.420) conversion and breach of contract claims premised on accountholder failure to provide written notice of account statement error within 30 days of receipt of statement which included error as required by deposit agreement ― Dismissal affirmed by Fifth Court of Appeals after oral argument.
● Obtained voluntary dismissal of multimillion-dollar strict products liability and breach of warranty claims in District of Nevada premised on faulty and provably false allegation that client assumed liabilities of predecessor manufacturing company incident to corporate transaction.
● Obtained denial of critical Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings in Western District of Texas which sought global dismissal of client’s extra-contractual claims in 4.4 million-dollar insurance dispute involving extensive damage to commercial property.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Banking, Class action/mass torts: defense, Energy & natural resources
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Class actions
- 40% Business litigation
- 40% Banking
- 10% Class action/mass torts: defense
- 10% Energy & natural resources
First Admitted: 1999, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://www.rglaw.com/attorneys/james-greer/
- Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Super Lawyers magazine, recognizing the top 5% of lawyers in the State of Texas, 2014-2018
- Selected D Magazine "Best Lawyers in Dallas" — Business Litigation, 2018
- Texas Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers magazine, recognizing the top 2.5% of lawyers under 40 in the State of Texas, 2005, 2008-2013
- Law clerk to the Hon. Joe J. Fisher, United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas.
- Master, William ‘Mac’ Taylor American Inn of Court, 2014-present
- Co-authored, The Subprime Morass: Past, Present and Future, 12 N.C. Banking Inst. 125, March, 2008, studentorgs.law.unc.edu/documents/ncbank/volume12/johnston.pdf
- DAYL Freedom Run Co-Founder & Committee Member, 2001–2005
- DAYL Leadership Class 2001
- B.A., Millsaps College, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- DBA Media Relations Committee, 2004–2007
- State Bar of Texas
- DBA Entertainment Committee, Chair, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- DAYL Judiciary Committee, Co-Chair 2003–2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Dallas Baylor Lawyer Network, Steering Committee, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Business Disputes
- Financial Services
- Investment Fraud
Office location for James B. Greer
5910 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75206
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2005, 2008 - 2013