John A. Scully
Top rated business litigation attorney in Dallas, TexasCooper & Scully, P.C.
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Medical malpractice, Civil litigation
Licensed in Texas since: 1983
John is a founding shareholder of Cooper & Scully. A highly skilled and experienced trial lawyer, John's hallmark is his dedication to client satisfaction.
John has been selected to Texas Super Lawyers® list of the Top 100 Lawyers in Texas from 2018-2022. He has been elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), and has been selected to D Magazine’s Best Lawyers in Dallas (2015-2020, 2022). John is AV Preeminent Peer Review rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been featured in the Texas Super Lawyers® list by Thomson Reuters Legal from 2003-2022. John has been recognized in the 29th Edition of the Best Lawyers in America as "Lawyer of the Year" for his work in the fields of Litigation - Health Care and Medical Malpractice Law - Defense. He has also been recognized in the publication for his work in Commercial Litigation.
John is Board Certified in both Civil Trial Law and Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. In addition, John is licensed in Texas, Montana, and Oklahoma, and is Board Certified by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys.
John is routinely retained to try high-dollar exposure cases in the areas of business litigation, catastrophic injury and wrongful death and professional liability. His professional liability practice includes representation of hospitals and other health care providers, attorneys, law firms and other professionals. John has served as national trial counsel on birth and catastrophic injury litigation for numerous hospital systems and insurance carriers.
Over the past 39 years, John has developed a diverse civil trial practice involving an array of industries, including health care, insurance, oil and gas, financial and pharmaceuticals. He has represented a variety of clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to governmental entities in complex commercial litigation, personal injury lawsuits, class actions, administrative proceedings and Qui Tam/False Claims Act actions and related investigations.
John and his wife, Karen, have three children. While John has always been a sports fanatic, his support of his children's activities led to his passionate involvement in coaching youth sports. John served as head football coach of the Parish Episcopal 7th/8th grade team for many years, and has served as assistant football coach of the school's high school team since 2009 (State Championships in 2010, 2014, 2019, 2020 and 2021!).
John currently serves on the Board of Trustees, and previously served as Chair of the Board of Visitors, for his undergraduate alma mater DePauw University. John also served on Parish's Board of Trustees.
First Admitted: 1983, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://www.cooperscully.com/our-talent/john-a.-scully
- Selected to Top 100 Attorneys in Texas by Super Lawyers Magazine - 2018-2022, Texas Superlawyers
- Selected to Top 100 Attorneys in Dallas/Fort Worth by Super Lawyers Magazine - 2018-2022, Texas Superlawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America: Business Litigation, Health Care Litigation and Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants-2022, The Best Lawyers in America
- The Best Lawyers in America-Lawyer of the Year in areas of Litigation-Health Care and Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants-29th Edition, The Best Lawyers in America
- D Magazine's Best Lawyers in Dallas 2015-2020, 2022 - Tort Product and Medical Liability Litigation, D Magazine
- Slected to Texas Super Lawyers list by Thomson Reuters for 2003-2022, Texas Super Lawyers
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell (the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards) consistently since 1989, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2008 and 2009, Chambers USA
- Board of Trustees, DePauw University-September 2021-present
- Chairman of Board of Visitors, DePauw University - September, 2012 - 2015
- Trustee, Board of Trustees - Parish Episcopal School - May, 2009 - 2018
- Assistant Football Coach - Parish Episcopal School High School team - 2009 - present (State Championships-2010, 2014, 2019, 2020 and 2021!)
- Head Football Coach - Parish Episcopal School 7th/8th grade team - August, 2009 - November 2016
- Basketball Coach - Parish Episcopal School - several 7th & 8th grade teams - October, 2005 - 2012
- Chairman of Board of Directors, Epilepsy Foundation of Texas - 2007 - 2009
- President, Epilepsy Foundation of Texas-Dallas/Ft. Worth - January, 2007 - 2009;
- Speaker, "How to Pick the Right Jury for Your Case," 21st Annual Construction Law Symposium, sponsored by Cooper & Scully, P.C., January, 2014, Dallas, Texas
- Speaker, "Preparing and Presenting Your Witnesses: A Focus on Medical Experts and Depositions," American Conference Institute's 13th Annual Advanced Forum on Obstetric Malpractice Claims, June 2014, Philadelphia, PA
- Speaker, “Trends and Developments in Defending Medical Negligence Litigation,” May 2017, Chicago, IL
- Speaker, “Experts and Evidence,” The University of Texas School of Law’s Suing and Defending Managed Health Care Providers, Dallas, Texas
- Speaker, “Defending the Managed Care Case,” The Advanced Forum on Complex Medical Malpractice Claims, New York, New York
- Speaker, “The Birth Injury Case,” Defense Research Institute’s Medical Liability Seminar, March 2006, Phoenix, Arizona
- Speaker, “Structured Settlements,” The State Bar of Texas’ Evaluating, Negotiating, Proving, and Collecting Damages and Attorneys’ Fees, January 2009, Dallas, TX
- Speaker, Boston University School of Medicine’s 25th Annual Conference on Obstetrics, Gynecology, Perinatal Medicine, Neonatology & The Law, and 9th Annual Conference Multi-Specialty Conference on Medical Negligence & Risk Management in Medicine, Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Radiology, Psychiatry and Family Medicine, January 2009, Panama City, Panama
- Speaker, Boston University School of Medicine’s 23rd Annual Conference on Obstetrics, Gynecology, Perinatal Medicine, Neonatology & The Law, and 7th Annual Conference on Medical Negligence & Risk Management in Medicine, Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Radiology & Neurosurgery, January 2007, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Speaker, “Medicolegal Pearls for Practicing Obstetricians,” American College of Osteopathic Obstetricians & Gynecologists’ 2009 Fall Conference, October 2009, Fort Worth, Texas
- Speaker, "Keeping it Interesting for the Jury," 8th Annual Construction Law Symposium, sponsored by Cooper & Scully, P.C., January, 2013, Dallas, Texas
- Speaker, "Trying the Coverage/Bad Faith Case to the Generation X and Y Jury," 20th Annual Insurance Law Symposium, sponsored by Cooper & Scully, P.C., April, 2013, Dallas, Texas
- Speaker, "The New Age of Professional Service Advertising: Tweeting, Blogging, and Other Social Media Tools," Professional Liability Series 7th Annual E&O Insurance ExecuSummit, June 2013, Hartford, Connecticut
- American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”)
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Dallas Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Dallas Bar Association - Business Litigation Section
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association; Life Fellow, Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association - Tort and Insurance Practice Section and Litigation Section
- State Bar of Texas - Litigation Section and Health Law Section
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law,Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified, American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1982; B.A., DePauw University, 1979
- Health Care
- Real Estate
- Super Lawyers: 2003 - 2022
Top listsTop 100: Texas Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2022
Certificates and credentials
Civil Trial Law
Personal Injury Trial Law