A partner at Brusniak Turner Fine LLP, John Brusniak Jr. focuses his practice on a variety of property tax disputes and associated litigation. From the firm's office in Dallas, Texas, he provides advice and counsel to commercial property owners throughout the greater metropolitan area. Admitted to practice before all Texas and Oklahoma state courts, Mr. Brusniak is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Brusniak counts among his clients railroads, trucking companies, airplane owners, agricultural interests, oil and gas companies, car dealerships, and several tax-exempt entities, including schools, hospitals and religious organizations. A significant portion of his practice involves challenges to appraisals of real estate, including office complexes, retail buildings, industrial facilities and undeveloped commercial property. Mr. Brusniak negotiates with county assessors and files appeals and requests for tax abatements when necessary. His experience also encompasses disputes regarding the taxation of business personal property, and during his career, he has filed thousands of lawsuits on behalf of his clients, most of which resulted in negotiated settlements.
Mr. Brusniak has also worked with lobbyists to implement changes to Texas property tax statutes, and he has frequently met with state legislators and their staff members and has testified before legislative committees. His successful track record throughout his distinguished career has earned him the respect of his fellow professionals, including an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo. In addition, Mr. Brusniak has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America. A former president of the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys, his other professional affiliations include the Tax Section of the State Bar of Texas and the Institute for Professionals in Taxation. Mr. Brusniak received his Juris Doctor cum laude from The George Washington University Law School in 1976.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasTax: Business
- 100% Tax: Business
First Admitted: 1976, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.texaspropertytaxattorneys.com/john-brusniak
- Hospice volunteer with the Visiting Nurses Association
- Taught CPR classes for the American Red Cross
- Texas Property Tax Code Practice Insights published by LEXISNEXIS and Brusniak's Texas Property Tax Digest, Author
- Texas chapter of the American Bar Association Desk Book, Author
- Written columns for decades on property tax matters for both the Tax section and Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law section of the State Bar of Texas
- Lifetime achievement award from the Texas Oil and Gas Association
- One of the Best Lawyers in America
- Honored with the Wayne Peveto award by the Real Estate Center of Texas A&M University
- Order of the Coif, The National Law Center of The George Washington University
- Texas Super Lawyer
- Freshmen Class President and Student Body President, Our Lady of the Lake University
- Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, Accounting cum laude
- State Bar of Texas, Section of Taxation (1991- to date) (Chair: 1999-2000) (Property Tax Columnist: 1997- to date)
- Board of directors of the Texas Taxpayers and Research Association
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation (Member) (1992- to date)
- Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee (Member: 1997 & 1998, Dallas Sub-Committee)
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Committee on State and Local Taxation (Member) (1988- to date)
- State Bar of Texas, Section of Taxation, Property Tax Committee (1991- to date) (Chair: 1993-1997)
- Texas Real Estate Commission (Licensed Real Estate Broker)
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Property Tax Committee (1985- to date) (Vice Chair: 1990-1993; Chair: 1993-2000)
- State Bar of Texas, Section of Real Estate, Probate and Trust (1995- to date) (Board of Editors: 1997- to date)
- Texas Association of Assessing Officers (Member) (1995- to date)
- National Association of Property Tax Attorneys (President) (1997- to date)
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Institute For Professionals In Taxation
- National Association Of Property Tax Attorneys
- Texas Bar Association
Office location for John Brusniak, Jr.
17480 Dallas Pkwy
Dallas, TX 75287
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023