John Withers, Jr.
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Dallas, TX
John Withers, Jr., is an attorney with Scroggins Law Group, PLLC, which has law offices in Dallas, Plano and Frisco, Texas. Working primarily out of the firm's Dallas location, Mr. Withers provides unmatched legal representation and support to clients throughout Dallas, Denton and Collin counties and the surrounding areas who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Family law and divorce
- Criminal defense
- Juvenile law
Board-certified in both family and criminal law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Withers has more than 32 years of total legal experience, including years of experience working at the district attorney's office in Dallas, where he ultimately became chief felony prosecutor and chief of the Commercial Auto Theft Task Force. Through these roles, he gained invaluable insight into the criminal justice system, which helps him devise the most effective defense strategies possible for the accused.
Following that, he worked for a prominent area law firm, where he mostly handled complex insurance defense matters. He then established his own private law firm with his father in 1996. Along with his board certification in family law, Mr. Withers is also a qualified family law mediator, and he has assisted numerous clients with resolving their conflicts and reaching agreements in a manner that is far more efficient and economical than traditional divorce litigation.
Whether inside or outside of the courtroom, Mr. Withers maintains an unwavering focus on protecting his clients' rights, preserving their liberties and entitlements, and helping them secure the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve, no matter how complex their situations are. Noted for his outstanding professionalism and service, he has earned many top rankings and endorsements from his peers, and he has received many five-star reviews and testimonials from his satisfied clients.
A 1983 graduate of Texas A&M University with a Bachelor of Science in civil engineering, Mr. Withers completed the Field Artillery Officer Basic Course before attending Southern Methodist University School of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1987. A retired lieutenant colonel with the U.S. Army Reserve, Mr. Withers served as JAG officer, and he graduated the U.S. Army's Command and General Staff Officers’ Course and the 44th Military Judge Course.
Since entering private practice, Mr. Withers has maintained active involvement in his legal community, and he is a member of the Dallas Bar Association's Family Law and Criminal Law Sections and the Family Law and Military Law Sections of the State Bar of Texas. He is also a member of the Dallas and Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Associations.
- 70%Family Law
- 30%Criminal Defense
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Juvenile Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Failure to Pay Child Support, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex Offenses, Theft, Criminal Domestic Violence
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2022
About John Withers, Jr.
First Admitted: 1987, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://scrogginslawgroup.com/john-h-withers-jr
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Judge Advocate General's Corps (JAG), United States Army Reserve (Ret.)
- Member, Dallas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, Family Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member, Criminal Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Family Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association
- College of the State Bar of Texas; Member, Dallas Bar Association; Member, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association; Member, Military Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
Pro bono/Community Service
- Member, State Bar College
- Board Certified in Criminal Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified in Family Law
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1988; United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 1993; United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1996; United States Army Court of Criminal Appeals, 1995; Unites States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 2001
- B.S. in Civil Engineering from Texas A&M University, 1983
Last Updated: 5/15/2022