Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Dallas, TX
Karri Bertrand is an attorney with O'Neil Wysocki Family Law, and she works primarily out of the firm's law office in Dallas, Texas. A top-ranked lawyer and emerging leader in her field, Ms. Bertrand focuses her practice solely on family law, and she provides invaluable counsel and support to clients across her region who are going through a divorce or have some other serious legal issue affecting their families.
The oldest of 13 children, Ms. Bertrand has a strong sense of family values, and her desire to become a family law attorney arose largely from witnessing a close friend go through the traumatizing divorce process. As such, Ms. Bertrand has resolved to provide the highest level of compassionate counsel and personalized service to her clients to help them through an intensely difficult and emotionally challenging time in their lives.
Prior to becoming a licensed attorney, Ms. Bertrand worked for 15 years as a certified paralegal, so she has a wealth of legal experience to draw upon to help her clients make the best-informed decisions. At all turns, she works diligently to help them achieve their goals and the favorable outcomes they seek as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible, and she finds great satisfaction in being able to help so many in her community during their times of dire need.
Honored for her outstanding professionalism and service, Ms. Bertrand has earned designation as among the Ones to Watch for 2020 from The Best Lawyers in America, and she was also inducted in the Dallas Women Lawyers Association's Inaugural Leadership Class of 2015. She has also received many other top rankings and endorsements from her peers along with many testimonials and referrals from her satisfied clients.
A 2014 summa cum laude graduate of The University of Texas at Dallas, Ms. Bertrand obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of North Texas at Dallas College of Law, and she received her license to practice in 2018. She is an active member of the Dallas Bar Association's Family and Appellate Sections, the Collin County Young Lawyers Association, the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, and the State Bar of Texas' Family Law, Appellate Law and LGBT Law Sections, among her other professional affiliations.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
- 80%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights, Appeals
- Rising Stars: 2020 - 2022
- The Rise in Popularity of 50-50 Custody (2021) - During the recent legislative session, Texas legislators were presented with a bill proposing revisions to the Texas Family Code that would provide for a presumption of 50-50 possession in cases where the court renders an order appointing the parents as joint managing conservators. The bill, which died in committee, included the following proposed revision to Texas Family Code Section 153.134(c): “If the court renders an order appointing the parents joint managing conservators under this section, the court shall enter a possession order under Subchapter F-1 that provides for equal parenting unless the court determines that order is not in the best interest of the child.”
- Criminal Law Issues Affecting Your Family Law Practice (2017) - Article for the State Bar of Texas on the intersection of Family Law and Criminal Law.
- Top Five Ways to Waive Error on Appeal (2019) - The biggest challenge most attorneys encounter on appeal is the waiver doctrine. Silence or inaction alone may waive a complaint, which is why attorneys must proactively assert proper, timely objections on the record, obtain rulings on those objections, and provide the appellate court with a complete and accurate record of all relevant trial court proceedings for review.
- Navigating LGBTQ+ Family Law - Obergefell & Beyond (2019) - Article included in State Bar of Texas materials related to post-Obergefell family law issues for same-sex couples.
- When may a mediated settlement agreement be unenforceable? (2021) - Article written for the State Bar of Texas - Family Law Section Report addressing the rare instances when a mediated settlement agreement may be set aside or unenforceable.
- When There Are Nine (2021) - Appointed by President Bill Clinton and seated to the U.S. Supreme Court on August 10, 1993, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was only the second female appointed to the highest court. After Justice Sandra Day O’Connor’s retirement, Ginsburg fully appreciated the significance of being the only female on the court, even if only briefly: “It’s almost like being back in law school in 1956, when there were nine [female students] in a class of over 500 … Every time you went to answer a question, you were answering for your entire sex.”
About Karri Bertrand
First Admitted: 2018, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.oneilattorneys.com/attorneys/karri-bertrand/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Dallas CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate)
- Criminal Law Issues Affecting Your Family Law Practice, St. Bar of Tex. Advanced Family Law Course, Ch. 53, 2007
- Top 10 Paralegal Responsibilities, TAPS October 5, 2017
- Alimony vs. Maintenance: Differences & Similarities*, TAPS September 26, 2018
- National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA), Certified Paralegal, 2010
- Advanced Certified Paralegal – Trial Practice NALA, 2010
- I graduated cum laude from the University of North Texas at Dallas College of Law. I was a member of the inaugural evening class. I was appointed to the Board of Advocates for stellar performance in advocacy coursework and I was a staff member of the Law Review publication called Accessible Law. I received numerous scholarships and was on the Dean's List multiple times, 2018
- University of Texas at Dallas- Undergraduate School, Bachelor of Arts in Literary Studies, 2014
- I am a member of the Dallas Bar Association Family Law and Appellate Law Sections; I am a member of the National LGBT Bar Association - Family Law Institute; I am a member of the Collin County Women Lawyers Association; I am a member of the State Bar of Texas Appellate Law Section, Family Law Section, and LGBT Law Section; I am a member of the Dallas LGBT Bar Association; I am a member of the Dallas Women Lawyers Association, 2019
- Dallas LGBT Bar Association
- Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law, Appellate Law, and LGBT Law Sections
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Collin County Young Lawyers Association
- Dallas Bar Association, Family and Appellate Sections
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch is a recognition awarded by Best Lawyers to lawyers for their outstanding professional excellence in private practice, Best Lawyers - Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers, 2021
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch is a recognition awarded by Best Lawyers to lawyers for their outstanding professional excellence in private practice., Best Lawyers - Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers, 2022
- I was a member of the inaugural Leadership Class of the Dallas Women Lawyers Association, Dallas Women Lawyers Association Inagural Leadership Class, Dallas Women Lawyers Association, 2015
Last Updated: 5/15/2022