Levi G. McCathern, II
Top rated business litigation attorney in Dallas, TexasMcCathern, Shokouhi, Evans, Grinke
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Employment & labor, Entertainment & sports; view more
Licensed in Texas since: 1993
Education: Baylor Law School
McCathern, Shokouhi, Evans, Grinke3710 Rawlins Street
Dallas, TX 75219 Visit website
McCathern Founding Partner Levi G. McCathern II is widely recognized as one of the premier litigation lawyers in Texas. Specializing in catastrophic damage litigation, he is frequently summoned to defend complex, high-damage claims, including all types of commercial litigation. Perhaps above all, Levi is known for his unwavering dedication to his clients and his embodiment of the firm’s mission of Improving People’s Lives.
Levi has served as lead counsel for numerous jury trials and is regularly called upon to provide legal consultation to companies throughout the country. In addition, Levi is experienced with reputation management and crisis communications arising from these challenging matters. He is Board Certified in both Civil Trial Law and Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization – a double certification held by fewer than 50 of the 110,000 attorneys licensed to practice in Texas.
Levi’s vast experience and legal expertise has earned the trust of a multitude of clients. He serves as primary trial counsel for the Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd. and the Jerry Jones Family and their related entities, and he is panel counsel for some of the world’s largest companies in the specialty areas of Business & Commercial Litigation, Directors & Officers Liability, Employment Law, Advertising Injury, and more. Levi brings an “everyman” perspective to his practice that juries love and is seldom found in Texas litigation. His strength is the same both in and out of the courtroom – relating to all people, from blue collar workers to CEOs.
In some instances, Levi has been called upon to represent his clients’ interests in the media. He has been interviewed and quoted by many leading media organizations, including CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News, The Today Show, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Austin American-Statesmen, and The Houston Chronicle.
Levi is licensed to practice in Texas and New York, and he is admitted for practice in all Texas state and federal district courts, the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, all state courts in New York, and all federal district courts of Arkansas.
RISING FROM HUMBLE ROOTS
Levi was born in the small Texas Panhandle town of Perryton and grew up in Snyder, Texas. He went on to enroll at Baylor University and obtain a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1990, graduating magna cum laude and being selected to the Phi Beta Kappa honor society. In 1993, he earned a Juris Doctorate from Baylor University, where he became a member of the Order of Barristers. While in law school, Levi served as Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Travis, Texas.
Levi was licensed to practice law in Texas in 1993, beginning his career as an associate with Godwin & Carlton, P.C. in Dallas. In less than 5 years, he was named as the youngest shareholder in the firm’s history. On October 1, 1998, Levi founded McCathern Wadlington Mooty, LLP, the precursor to today’s firm.
RECOGNITION OF OUTSTANDING LEGAL COUNSEL
Levi McCathern has been named to Super Lawyers’ coveted group of elite practitioners in Texas 16 times, achieving this recognition in 2003 and 2004 and every year from 2008 through 2022. The annual Texas Super Lawyers list, designed to identify the state’s top attorneys, is based on a statewide survey of attorneys, independent research, and evaluation of candidates.
Levi was selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine for Business/Commercial Litigation in 2014 & 2016 and for General Corporate Law in 2012. Levi was listed by Best Lawyers as one of the Best Lawyers in America for Litigation – Labor and Employment in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Martindale-Hubbell recognizes Levi as AV Preeminent, their highest level of peer rating for professional excellence. He is also listed as one of America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators, an invitation-only honor bestowed upon trial attorneys with successful experience in high-stakes business litigation matters.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Employment & labor: employer, Entertainment & sports, Family law, General litigation, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1993, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://mccathernlaw.com/attorney/levi-g-mccathern-ii/
- Primary Trial Counsel, Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd.
- Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd., the Jerry Jones' Family and their related entities, Whole Foods Market, AIG, Travelers Insurace Company, and more
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Arkansas
- Baylor University School of Law, Juris Doctor, Member - Order of Barristers, 1993
- Baylor University, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1990
- Board Certified Civil Trial Law TBLS, 2003
- Board Certified Labor & Employment Law TBLS, 2005
- An introduction to McCathern, a full-service law firm based in Dallas with additional offices in Houston, Frisco, and Los Angeles. , The McCathern Law Firm - Improving People's Lives, 2020
- , Best Lawyers - Labor and Employment, Best Lawyers, 2021
- , Best Lawyers - Labor and Employment, Best Lawyers, 2022
- America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators is an invitation-only honor bestowed upon trial attorneys with successful experience in high-stakes business litigation matters., America's Top 100 Bet-the-Country Litigators, America's Top 100, 2020
- Business Litigation, D Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2017
- Business Litigation, D Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2014
- General Corporate Law, D Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2012
Office location for Levi G. McCathern, II
3710 Rawlins Street
Dallas, TX 75219
- Super Lawyers: 2003 - 2004, 2008 - 2023
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Levi is a fantastic trial attorney. He combines his down-home demeanor with a vast knowledge of the law. His persuasive skills are unmatched.”
“He is Board Certified in both Civil Trial Law and Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Specialization – a double certification held by only 26 of the 87,000 attorneys in the State of Texas. Levi specializes in catastrophic damage litigation and is routinely called upon to defend specialized, high-damage claims, including all types of commercial litigation. He has served as lead counsel in numerous jury trials and is regularly called upon to provide legal consultation to companies throughout the country. He presently serves as primary trial counsel for the Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd., the Jerry Jones family and their related entities, and is panel counsel for several of the largest insurance companies in the world in specialty coverage areas including Director & Officer Liability, Employment Law, and advertising injury.”
“Excellent trial lawyer, one of the best I've seen in the courtroom.”