Sheryl Brantley Latham
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Dallas, TX
A shareholder at Hallett & Perrin, P.C., Sheryl Brantley Latham focuses her practice largely on high-end estate planning. She has been certified as a specialist in estate planning and probate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and she represents clients throughout the state from the firm’s offices in Dallas. Admitted to practice in Texas since 1978, Ms. Latham is also admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and before the U.S. Tax Court.
Ms. Latham attended The University of Texas at Austin and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in 1975. She then went on to study at the University of Houston Law Center, and in 1978, she was awarded her Juris Doctor. Prior to joining Hallett & Perrin, P.C., in 2009, Ms. Latham had her own practice in Dallas, and she also worked for major financial institutions in their wealth management and preservation sectors.
Many of Ms. Latham’s clients have substantial holdings and are of high net worth, and she works with them and their family members to preserve and protect their assets for future generations. She has prepared and reviewed a variety of trusts and other tools to carry out their objectives, and the plans that she has created are often designed to minimize the effects of federal estate, gift, and generation-skipping taxes. Ms. Latham also has extensive experience in the creation and implementation of business succession plans and charitable giving programs, and her background includes representing heirs, beneficiaries, and fiduciaries through the process of estate administration. Highly respected by her colleagues, she possesses an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a “Superb” peer review rating through Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Sheryl Brantley Latham
First Admitted: 1978, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.hallettperrin.com/attorneys/bio/sheryl-latham
- State Bar of Texas - Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association - Probate, Trust & Estates Section, Chairman, 1996-1997
- Dallas Estate Planning Council, Board of Directors, 2010-2012
- American Bar Association - Taxation Section; Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section
- Licensed Member of the Tax Court
- District of Columbia Bar
- State Bar of Texas
- Chair, Probate, Trusts and Estates Section of the Dallas Bar Association (1996-1997)
- Dallas Bar Association Special Recognition Award, Outstanding Section 1997, Chair of Probate, Trusts & Estates Section
- Top 50 Women in Law - 2017, Named to Dallas
- American Bar Association Excellence in Writing Award, Best Cutting Edge Article/Probate & Trust (2003), The Inheritance Trust: Upstream Multigenerational Planning
- Dallas Bar Association - Probate, Trust & Estates Section, 1996-1997, Chair
- Named a “Texas Super Lawyer”, 2003-2005, Thomson Reuters in Estate Planning
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent, Peer Review Rated
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.S., 1975
Pro bono/Community Service
- Member of Board of Governors and Executive Committee of Texas Ballet Theater (2003-2012); Member, Advisory Board, Exhibits and Legal Committees, Museum of Nature and Science (2003-present); Member,Advisory Board, The Dallas Opera (2003-2006); Former Member, Planned Giving Council of the Dallas Symphony; Member, Planned Giving Council, UT Southwestern Foundation (1998-present); Member, Advisory Council, The Dallas Foundation (1995-present)
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Dallas Bar Association Special Recognition Award, Outstanding Section (Probate Section), 1997 American Bar Association, Excellence in Writing Award, Best Cutting Edge Article/Probate and Trust (2003), The Inheritance Trust: Upstream Multigenerational Planning
- Licensed by the State Bar of Texas Licensed by the District of Columbia Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization Tax Court
Last Updated: 2/4/2022