T. Micah Dortch
Top rated business litigation attorney in Dallas, TexasPotts Law Firm
T. Micah Dortch is the managing partner at Potts Law Firm located in Dallas, Texas. With more than 15 years of experience serving clients in Texas, New Mexico, Missouri, Kansas, Louisiana and Arkansas, he represents clients with civil litigation matters that involve:
- Catastrophic personal injury
- Breach of contract
- Business torts
- Fraudulent transfer
- Copyright infringement
- Financial fraud
- Insurance policy interpretation
- Products liability
- Securities class actions
With a Bachelor of Arts degree in speech communication, Mr. Dortch graduated from the Texas A&M University. He earned his doctorate in jurisprudence from the South Texas College of Law Houston.
Born and raised in a small town, Mr. Dortch learned the importance of hard work, helping those in need, and the importance of family and community in one’s life. Through his fierce and impassioned advocacy, he fights aggressively for his clients’ rights. He is well known for his tailored solutions for each client’s unique needs and interests.
Mr. Dortch has a long list of having obtained numerous favorable verdicts and settlements on his clients’ behalf, resulting in membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and many satisfied and happy clients. He is often called upon by the U.S. Bankruptcy Trustees to work on lawsuits in the bankruptcy courts. In addition to his law practice, he owns a number of businesses, including a lending company, an oil and gas business, and a credit card payment company.
As a testament to the impeccable legal services he provides, Mr. Dortch was named to the Best Lawyers in America list in personal injury litigation, 500 Leading Lawyers in America list by Lawdragon, Best Lawyers in Texas list by The Wall Street Journal and the Top 100 list by The National Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Dortch is licensed to practice in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas and before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Civil litigation: defense, Intellectual property, Insurance coverage
Non-compete agreements, Intellectual property law, Insurance
- 50% Business litigation
- 20% Civil litigation: defense
- 20% Intellectual property
- 10% Insurance coverage
First Admitted: 2006, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.potts-law.com/attorneys/t-micah-dortch/
- https://digital.superlawyers.com/superlawyers/txrs18/MobilePagedReplica.action?, Super Lawyers Rising Star in Texas (a Thomson Reuters service), Super Lawyers
- Super Lawyers Texas, Super Lawyers Texas (a Thomson Reuters service), 2015
- Micah is the Managing Partner of The Potts Law Firm's Dallas location and maintains a large docket of civil litigation cases throughout the United States including: catastrophic personal injury, breach of contract, business torts, fraudulent transfer, copyright infringement, financial fraud, insurance policy interpretation, personal injury, products liability and securities class actions.https://www.thenationaltriallawyers.org/profile-view/TimothyMicah/Dortch/18770/, Top 100 by The National Trial Lawyers, The National trial lawyers, 2018
- B.A., Texas A&M University, 2001
- Texas, 2006
- Oklahoma, 2015
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Adelmira Chavez et al v. Atmos Energy Corporation et al, No. 92375- Ellis County 40th State District Court, 2015. Representation of the Victims of the 2015 Natural Gas Explosion in Waxahachie Texas, 2015
- Micah was awarded the Fraud “verdict of the year” for his role as lead trial counsel in C.A. No. 4:11-cv-3700; Rodney Tow vs. John H. Speer, in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, which resulted in a return to creditors of millions of dollars in fraudulently taken assets of the Debtor., 2014
- Served as lead counsel for the family of Kook Oh who was killed by an 18-wheeler in Alvarado, Texas. Mr. Dortch sued the driver of the 18-wheeler and his employer. Following a week-long jury trial, Micah’s client received a verdict awarding over one million dollars in damages and a finding of punitive liability on the part of each of the defendants. In addition, the jury found gross negligence on the part of the defendants. Ultimately, the case resolved without the family having to undergo the second half of the trial.
- Served as lead counsel for the family of Roy Aguilar who was tragically killed on October 11, 2011 at the Texas Instruments Plant in Dallas Texas. Micah filed suit against the employer of Mr. Aguilar and manufacturer of the product involved in the death. Ultimately, the case was resolved and the family able to comfortably grieve for their patriarch.
- Served as Special Litigation counsel for the Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee in the multi-billion dollar bankruptcy of ATP Oil & Gas Corp., U.S.. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas, No. 12-36187 wherein Micah was lead counsel in a multitude of litigation resulting in millions of dollars returned to creditors of the oil and gas company
- Served as class counsel in the ERISA class action Diebold, et al. v. Northern Trust Investments, N.A. et al., 09-Civ-1934 (Diebold), in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois where the Court approved a collective settlement of $36 million dollars for class representatives resulting in millions of dollars returned to investors.
Office location for T. Micah Dortch
2911 Turtle Creek Blvd
Dallas, TX 75219
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2010, 2012 - 2018