William M. Toles
Top rated personal injury attorney in Dallas, TexasMunsch Hardt Kopf & Harr, P.C.
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Business litigation, General litigation
Licensed in Texas since: 1997
Education: Washington and Lee University School of Law
William Toles is recognized by Martindale-Hubbell as an AV Preeminent-rated attorney.
As a seasoned and highly regarded trial attorney, William has successfully tried more than 60 civil jury trials to verdict. In addition, his trial experience throughout Texas includes tort litigation, ranging from negligence and transportation matters to more complex premises liability, Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA), commercial and contractual dispute litigation. He has been selected by D Magazine as one of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” since 2016.
On top of his thriving legal practice, William is the Secretary/President Elect of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Dallas Chapter, and a member of the ABOTA National Executive Committee. He is also a member of the International Society of Barristers (ISOB). Memberships for ABOTA and ISOB are both by invitation only, and involve a rigorous screening process that takes into consideration each lawyer’s ability, experience, accomplishments and ethical standards as assessed by trial lawyers and judges.
William also serves on the Board of Directors for the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association and is a member of the Salesmanship Club of Dallas and the State Fair of Texas Chairman’s Task Force. Actively involved in his church, he has been a member of the Steward Board for more than 15 years.
Having earned both his J.D. and B.A. from Washington & Lee University, William remains active within the school. Currently, he serves as a member of the Washington & Lee University Board of Trustees and as a class agent for his law school class. He is a former member of the Washington & Lee Alumni Board, former President of the Law Council and former Chair of the Washington & Lee Law Annual Fund.
First Admitted: 1997, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.munsch.com/Professionals/William-Toles
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D. Washington and Lee University, B.A.
- , Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Pedwano, et al v Triple T Amusements (Canton, Van Zandt County, Texas) Obtained a unanimous (12-0) defense verdict in favor of Defendant in an accident involving two passengers on an amusement ride. The passengers were 14 and 18 years of age at the time of the accident. Both plaintiffs argued that they were injured in the accident and continued to have medical problems related to the accident. The 14 year-old, who was 18 years of age at the time of trial, argued that she sustained a thoracic compression fracture at T10-T11 and continued to suffer pain from the injury. She also claimed to suffer from post-concussion syndrome. The 18 year-old, who was 21 years of age at the time of trial, argued that she continued to suffer from post-concussion syndrome, neck and low back pain and post-traumatic headaches.
- Whitaker, Individually and as the Administrator of the Estate of Luke Frederick, Jr., et al. v. Hilda Sena. Motor vehicle collision in which defendant hit a pedestrian, who died as a result of the accident. Plaintiff counsel asked for in excess of $1 million dollars in closing argument. Jury awarded $44,497.32 in damages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a performing arts organization in a defamation/slander lawsuit in which Plaintiff was seeking damages in excess of $1 million.
- Kinsley v. Cartwright’s Ranch House. Plaintiffs claimed Defendant violated the Texas Human Resources Code and Texas Accessibility Standards Act causing one Plaintiff to fall and break his neck resulting in his death after being on life support for 4 days. The Plaintiffs demanded $1 million at mediation and $900,000 prior to trial. The jury deliberated 41 minutes and found that the Defendants were not negligent.
- Williams v. Riverhill Partners, LLC. Dallas, Dallas County, Texas. Obtained directed verdict on behalf of apartment complex in premises liability action on the grounds the Defendant had no notice of the allegedly dangerous condition.
- Valdez v Dolgencorp of Texas, Inc. D/B/A Dollar General, Pampa, Gray County, Texas. Defense verdict in which plaintiff and later her heirs claimed serious injuries and death in a premises liability lawsuit.
- Represented a defendant in state and federal wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits filed as a result of the Texas A&M University 1999 bonfire collapse.
- Voir Dire – The Art of Reading Body Language; What They Don’t Say Will Hurt You [Panel included Daniel Young (Ward & Greenberg), Dave Zehner (Clarity Partners) and Ross Suter (Magna Legal Services)] (National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association National Conference)
- A Guide to Premises Liability in Texas (San Antonio Claims Association)
- Negotiating the Enforceable Indemnity and Additional Insured Language Into Your Contract or Lease (Association of Corporate Counsel DFW Annual In-House Symposium)
- Voir Dire & Jury Selection; joint presentation with Jason Bloom [Bloom Strategic Consulting]; (Texas Minority Counsel Program)
- Strategies for Transportation Litigation and Dispute Resolution (Aspatore Press, 2013). Co-authored with Rebecca E. Bell-Stanton on chapter entitled Litigation Strategies in Highway Sector/Motor Carrier Cases.
- Opening and Closing Statements. Co-Authored with Frank Guerra, IV - Prosecuting or Defending a Trucking or Auto Accident Case (State Bar of Texas)
- Escabedo Decision: How To Navigate The Issue of Medical Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit, Co-Authored with Peter Kelly - Damages in Civil Litigation (State Bar of Texas)
- Premises Liability - Advanced Personal Injury Law Course (State Bar of Texas)
- Non-Subscription in Texas: Can Opting Out of Workers Comp Be a Windfall or Liability ? (Claims And Litigation Management Annual Conference)
- J.L. Turner Legal Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Dallas Bar Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Texas Minority Counsel Program (Steering Committee Member - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- International Assocaition of Defense Counsel
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Diversity in the Profession Committee (State Bar of Texas)
- National Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates - Associate
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2008 - 2011