James H. (Jim) Horton
Top rated family law attorney in Denton, TexasJames H. Horton Law Firm, P.C.
Practice Areas: Family law, Criminal defense, DUI-DWI; view more
Licensed in Texas since: 1978
Education: Texas Tech University School of Law
James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C.1513 North Locust Street
Denton, TX 76201 Visit website
Owner of James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C., James H. (Jim) Horton represents clients in Denton, Texas. With over four decades of experience, he handles matters of criminal defense, including DUI/DWI, family law, alternative dispute resolution, and estate planning and probate. Since 2017, he has been a Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorney, and in 2019, he was recognized by The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 in criminal law. He is also a Best Attorneys of America Lifetime member and a Best Law Firms in America Lifetime member.
Mr. Horton is admitted to practice in the state of Texas and is certified by the State Bar of Texas as a Board-Certified Specialist in Criminal Law. Along with the area of Denton, he represents clients in Cooke, Collin, Wise, Dallas and Tarrant counties. Throughout his career, he has experienced more than 400 bench trials and over 200 jury trials.
In 1975, Mr. Horton graduated from Texas Tech University with a Bachelor of Arts in English and Dean’s List honors. To fulfill his dream of one day becoming an attorney, he then moved on to Texas Tech University School of Law, where he graduated with his Juris Doctor in 1978. Currently he teaches business law for Liberty Christian School and criminal law and for the Denton County Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education.
A longtime member of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Mr. Horton is also a member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, past secretary of the Denton County Bar Association and past president of the Denton County Criminal Lawyers Association. He is committed to providing honest communication, extensive legal knowledge and passionate representation to every client.
Practice areasFamily law, Criminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI, Alternative dispute resolution, Estate planning & probate
Mediation & collaborative law, Probate & estate administration
- 40% Family law
- 20% Criminal defense
- 20% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Alternative dispute resolution
- 10% Estate planning & probate
First Admitted: 1978, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://jameshorton.attorney/attorneys/james_h_horton/
- Texas, 1978
- State Bar Family Law Section, 1978 – Present
- Texas Criminal Lawyers, 1982 – Present
- Lake Dallas, TX, Former Judge, Hickory Creek, TX, Former Judge, Valley View, TX, Former City Attorney, Lewisville, TX, Former Judge; Municipal Judge, City of Denton
- Denton Co. Bar Association, Past Secretary, 1978 – Present
- Denton Co. Criminal Lawyers Association, Past President, 1986 – Present
- Member of the State Bar of Texas, Member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member of the Denton County Criminal Bar Association (Past President, Vice-President, Secretary/Treasurer), Member of the College of the State Bar of Texas, Member of the Denton County Bar Association (Past Secretary/Treasurer)
- Spoke at CLE in Denton, Texas
- Delta Tau Delta, Phi Delta Theta
- Best Attorney Lifetime Member
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers since 2014
- Best Law Firm Lifetime Member
- Top 100 Criminal Defense National Trial Lawyers since 2019
- Top Attorneys Texas sine 2019
- Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorneys since 2017
- Power Lawyers since 2018
- Super Lawyers, A Thomson Reuters Service, since 2009
- Lawyers of Distinction Criminal Defense, since 2018
- Denton County CLE- Criminal Law
- Liberty Christian Section- Business Law
- Wrote article for Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association, "Cross-Examination of Police Officers in DWI Cases"
- Duty, Denton County Bar
- Cross-exam Police Officials, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer
- Texas Tech University, 1978, Doctor of Jurisprudence, Texas Tech University, 1975, Bachelor of Arts
- Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1998
Office location for James H. (Jim) Horton
1513 North Locust Street
Denton, TX 76201
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2010, 2019 - 2023