Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in El Paso, TX
Serving West Texas and Southern New Mexico.
About Jim Darnell
First Admitted: 1980, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://www.jdarnell.com/JimBio
- American Bar Association - White Collar Crime Committee, Ethics Gideon & Professionalism Committee; American Board of Trial Advocates, El Paso Chapter (Treasurer, 1995; Vice President, 1996; President Elect, 1997; President, 1998; Federal Bar Association; George A. McAlmon American Inn of Court (Master); Litigation Counsel of America (Senior Fellow); National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers; State Bar of New Mexico; New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association; State Bar of Texas District 17 Grievance Committee (Member/Chairman, 1986-1992); Texas Bar Association; Texas Bar Foundation (Fellow); Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (Associate Director, 1992-1994; Executive Committee, 1995-1997, 2012-2013; Director, 2007-2013, 2014-); El Paso Bar Association (Board of Directors, 1997-1998); El Paso Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (Board of Directors, 1988; Vice President, 1990; President, 2008); El Paso Legal Assistance Society (Board of Directors, 1982-2001; Chairman, 1986-1988); El Paso Young Lawyers Association (Board of Directors, 1983-1985; Treasurer, 1985-1986). LICENSES: Texas Bar 1980; U.S. District Court - Western District, TX 1982; U.S. Court of Appeals - Fifth Circuit 1986; U.S. District Court - Northern District, TX 1987; U.S. Court of Claims 1994; U.S. Supreme Court 1997; U.S. District Court - Eastern District, WI 2007; U.S. Court of Appeals - Seventh Circuit 2010; U.S. District Court - Eastern District, TX 2010; New Mexico Bar 2016; U.S. District Court - NM 2016.
- Southwestern Law Review, Survey of Criminal Law, 1985, 1986; El Paso Criminal Law Seminar, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000; Law Education Institute, Criminal Law, 1996; "Masters in Trial," ABOTA, 1995, 1998; "Winning Criminal Trials," TCDLA, 1998; "The Ultimate Voir Dire," TCDLA, 2013; 19th Annual Civil Practice Seminar, El Paso Bar Association, 2015; Prosecuting/Defending Truck & Auto Collision Cases, State Bar of Texas, 2015; 29th Annual Rusty Duncan, TCDLA, 2016.
- Southern Methodist Univ. JD cum laude, 1980; Dartmouth College AB cum laude with honors, 1977.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Sun Bowl Assn., worker, 1981-1982; Southwestern International Livestock Show & Rodeo, 1982-1997. Board of Directors, 1987-1997. Assistant Vice President, 1989-1990. Executive Vice President, 1990-1991. Vice Chairman, 1991-1994. Chief Executive Officer, 1994-1997; El Paso Services for Children (Ronald McDonald House), Board of Directors, 1982-2004. Advisory Board, 2004-present. President, 1984-1985; YMCA, Board of Directors, 1984-1990; Leadership El Paso, participant, 1985; Boy Scouts of America, Yucca Council, Board of Directors, 1990-2000.
- The Best Lawyers in America, 1993-present; Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-present.
Last Updated: 5/15/2022