James P. Whalen
Top Rated White Collar Crimes Attorney in Frisco, TX
Attorney James P. Whalen is the founder and owner of the Whalen Law Office in Frisco, Texas. Board-certified in criminal law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Whalen has a total of more than 22 years of legal experience, and he delivers highly effective defense counsel to clients throughout the greater Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and surrounding areas who stand accused of any type of felony or misdemeanor offense.
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Whalen has achieved considerable success fighting for the rights and liberties of the accused in state and federal courts across his region. He has secured numerous dismissals, acquittals and reductions of charges for those facing accusations of drunk driving, drug trafficking and conspiracy, federal and white collar crimes, firearms and weapons offenses, and other criminal violations.
At all turns, Mr. Whalen provides personalized attention to everyone he serves, and he has gained a reputation for his compassion and understanding of his clients' situations as well as for his exemplary professionalism, irreproachable ethical standards and thorough preparedness at trial. He is also well aware of the inequity of power that exists in the criminal justice system, and he works hard to level the playing field for his clients in order to give them the best opportunity at fighting the charges they face and preserving their freedom.
A zealous advocate for the accused, Mr. Whalen employs an aggressive approach to help them achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. He has earned numerous top ratings from his peers as well as many testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients.
Mr. Whalen graduated from The Pennsylvania State University in 1990 with a Bachelor of Arts in International Politics. He then attended Southern Methodist University School of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1995. He is admitted to practice before all U.S. District Courts in Texas as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit.
A recognized authority on criminal law, Mr. Whalen has appeared on CourtTV and other local and national news outlets, where he has offered in-depth legal commentary on a variety of topics. He is also a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, past president of the Collin County Criminal Defense Lawyer Association and current board member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. He is also a member of the Eastern District of Texas Local Rules Committee.
- 50%Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 30%Criminal Defense
White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal, Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Probation, Tax Evasion, Theft, Criminal Domestic Violence, Appeals
- Super Lawyers: 2004 - 2005, 2012 - 2022
About James P. Whalen
First Admitted: 1995, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.whalenlawoffice.com/about-us/james-p-whalen/
- Texas Super Lawyer 2005, 2006, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, B.A., International Politics, 1990, 1990
- State Bar of Texas, 1995
- Northern District of Texas, 1999
- Eastern District of Texas, 2000
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2004
- Western District of Texas, 2010
- Southern District of Texas, 2013
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2014
- Member of Magistrate Judge Selection Panel Eastern District of Texas, 2015
- Northern District of Illinois, 2018
- Member Federal Public Defender Merit Selection Panel Eastern District of Texas, 2019
- Member of the Eastern District of Texas Local Rules Committee
- Collin County Criminal Defense Lawyer Association Member and Past President
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Member and Current Board Member and Past Board Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Member
- Board Certified in Criminal Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2017
- Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2002
- The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals granted a stay on the scheduled execution of Melissa Lucio, the first Hispanic… https://t.co/zPsOgN9CRl
- Whalen Law Office is delighted to announce that James Whalen has been named as one of D Magazine's 2022 Best Lawyer… https://t.co/c4KMZY45ZZ
- Congrats to Ryne Sandel for being named to the Texas Rising Stars List for a fourth consecutive year!🥳 #criminallaw… https://t.co/oowscFJbJx
- How on earth can you be charged with “driving while intoxicated” when your car is parked and not even in gear? Well… https://t.co/wLzpgQTGS3
- Governor Abbot issued a letter to Texas state health agencies announcing that delivering gender-affirming medical t… https://t.co/le1Ra2GhMs
Last Updated: 5/15/2022