Cody L. Cofer
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Fort Worth, TexasCofer Luster Law Firm, PC
Attorney Cody L Cofer is a partner with Cofer Luster Law Firm, PC, in Fort Worth, Texas. Board-certified in criminal law by Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Cofer has more than 11 years of legal experience, and he provides exceptional defense counsel to clients throughout the Tarrant County and the greater Fort Worth area who stand accused or are under investigation for any type of felony or misdemeanor offense.
A former prosecutor with Henderson County, Mr. Cofer has invaluable insight into the criminal justice system, and he also served as assistant federal public defender for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas for two years. As such, he has a remarkable ability to quickly identify the seriousness of the charges his clients are facing in order to devise the most effective defense strategy to help them achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve.
Recognized for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Cofer has earned consistent designation as a Top Attorney in Criminal Law from Fort Worth Magazine, and he has received many other top rankings from his peers. As proud as he is of the accolades he has received from his peers, he considers his clients' successes as a true measure of his effectiveness as an attorney, and he has received Superb, 10 out of 10 client ratings on Avvo along with numerous testimonials and referrals from those he has served.
A 2005 graduate of Baylor University, Mr. Cofer obtained his Masters in Business Administration from Texas Tech University in 2008 and his Juris Doctor from Texas Tech University School of Law that same year. While in law school, he served as editor of the Administrative Law Journal as well as vice-chair of the Board of Barristers' Mock Trial program. Honored for his excellent academic achievements, he received the Oral Advocacy Award from the Order of the Barristers, and the American Jurisprudence Award for both Trial Advocacy and Legal Research and Writing.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Cofer is a member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and he serves on the board of directors of the Tarrant County Bar Association Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association. He is also a member of NORML as well as other local, state and national legal organizations.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Criminal Defense: White Collar
Criminal Domestic Violence, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law - Federal, Sex Offenses, White Collar Crime
- 70% Criminal Defense
- 30% Criminal Defense: White Collar
First Admitted: 2008, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://coferluster.com/attorneys/cody-cofer/
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - NACDL’s mission is to serve as a leader, alongside diverse coalitions, in identifying and reforming flaws and inequities in the criminal justice system, and redressing systemic racism, and ensuring that its members and others in the criminal defense bar are fully equipped to serve all accused persons at the highest level.
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association - TCDLA has a proud history that began when the organization was chartered on August 12, 1971. The TCDLA was initiated as a formal stance against legislation and organizational actions that did not mirror the criminal defense rights supported by the constitution. Since then, the organization continues to advocate for equal treatment in criminal defense cases and provide a statewide forum for the criminal defense community of Texas.
- Former Member, Texas District & County Attorneys Association (TDCAA)
- Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization Why choose a lawyer Board Certified in Criminal Law? Qualifications include: Practice law fulltime for at least 5 years as an active member of the State Bar of Texas; At least 3 years of Criminal Law experience with a yearly minimum 25% substantial involvement in Criminal Law matters; Handled a substantial number of Criminal Law matters involving State and Federal misdemeanors, felony trials and State and Federal appeals; Qualified vetted references from judges and lawyers in the area; Complete 60 hours of TBLS approved continuing legal education in Criminal Law; Meet all of the TBLS Standards for Attorney Certification; and Pass a comprehensive 6-hour examination in Criminal Law. Click here to review the Exam Specifications.
- Texas Tech School of Business, M.B.A.
- Baylor University, B.A. in Speech Communication
- Fellow Student Advocates to Lead the Trial Advocacy Program as the "Mock Trial Vice-Chair" for the Texas Tech Board of Barristers
- Editor, "Texas Administrative Law Journal"
- "The Voice for the Defense" Magazine Published by the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Less than 1% of attorneys in Texas are Board Certified in Criminal Law., Board Certified in Criminal Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2013
- American Jurisprudence Award for Outstanding Performance in Trial Advocacy
- "Top Attorneys" in Criminal Law by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine
- Member, Order of the Barristers
- Selected by the nation organization, National Trial Lawyers, as a Top 40 Under 40 trial attorney., Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers, 2013
- Awarded the J. Hadley Edgar Excellence Award
- American Jurisprudence Award for Research and Writing
- National Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Office location for Cody L. Cofer
604 E 4th St
Fort Worth, TX 76102
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2017, 2021
Certificates and credentials