Enrique (Rick) Sanchez, Jr.
Top rated intellectual property attorney in Fort Worth, TexasWhitaker Chalk Swindle & Schwartz PLLC
Practice Areas: Intellectual property, Intellectual property litigation
Licensed in Texas since: 2013
Education: Texas Wesleyan University School of Law
Rick represents his clients in nearly every aspect of intellectual property law, including prosecution, litigation, licensing, and post-grant procedures.
Rick leverages his electrical engineering degree, his background in cryptology, and his litigation expertise to prepare and prosecute patent applications in a wide range of technology fields, including: cryptocurrency, blockchain, semiconductor, augmented reality, VTOL, aircraft, rotorcraft, and control systems, among others. He also counsels his clients regarding their international intellectual property portfolios. His clients also rely on him to draft Freedom-to-Operate opinion letters, as well as conduct and analyze patent novelty and trademark knock-out searches. Rick also prepares and prosecutes trademark applications before the USPTO. His practice further includes filing copyright registration applications and responding to copyright registration refusals from the U.S. Copyright Office.
Bolstered by his prosecution expertise, Rick also represents both plaintiffs and defendants in the litigation of patents and trademarks in Federal Court. While in-house, he managed concurrent international patent litigation in several countries, including Germany, China, France, and Italy. Rick also sends and responds to cease and desist letters related to intellectual property matters.
Rick drafts and negotiates licenses and other agreements, such as patent license agreements, trademark license agreements, acquisition agreements, master services agreements, joint-development agreements, and consent agreements. He also represents clients in the entertainment industry, by drafting copyright assignment and license agreements, among others.
Rick represents clients before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in Inter Partes Review, Reexamination, and Appeal proceedings. He also represents clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) in Cancellation and Opposition proceedings.
As an electrical engineer, Rick designed and commercialized signal processing and communication systems at companies such as Raytheon and SAIC. He has served in the U.S. Navy Reserve as a cryptologic officer, after having been selected for Direct Commission as an enlisted cryptologic petty officer – prior to which he was enlisted Army.
First Admitted: 2013, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.whitakerchalk.com/people/rick-sanchez/
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Minor in Mathematics
- Registered Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- A discussion of developments, tactics, challenges, and considerations lawyers and clients should consider when initiating or defending foreign enforcement campaigns., Speaker, Global Trends in Enforcement, University of Texas School of Law 24th Annual Advanced Patent Law Institute, Intellectual Property, 2019
- Interactive panel exploring the different ways to secure legal protection for your creativity and innovation., Speaker, Protecting Creativity and Innovation, Global Entrepreneurship Week * FW TX, Entrepreneurs, 2019
- Copyright. Trademark. Patent. These intellectual property concepts are important to be aware of and each come up in various contexts involving agricultural law. Discussion on the differences in these three protections, when each are used, and what must be done to qualify., Speaker, IP Protection for the Agricultural Industry, Ag Law in the Field Podcast, Episode #76, Law, Agriculture, 2020
- Good Shepherd Rescue of Texas, Foster Volunteer, 2020
- Child Care Associates, Board Vice Chair, 2020
- Top Attorneys 2020 is a nomination-based project in which we ask area attorneys to vote for other attorneys who exemplify excellence in a variety of different specialties., Top Attorneys 2020, 360 West Magazine, 2020
- IAM Strategy 300: The World’s Leading IP Strategists identifies the individuals who are leading the way in the development and implementation of strategies that maximise the value of IP portfolios., IAM Strategy 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists, IAM Magazine, 2020
- Voted by peers as one of Greater Fort Worth’s Top Attorneys in the Intellectual Property category., Recognized as a Top Attorney in Fort Worth in the area of Intellectual Property, Fort Worth Magazine, 2020
- Texas Bar College, Member, 2020
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2020
- Eldon G. Mahon American Inn of Court, Barrister, 2020
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2020
- Rising Stars: 2020 - 2023