Alex J. Brown
Top rated business litigation attorney in Houston, TexasThe Lanier Law Firm
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Products liability
Licensed in Texas since: 2000
Education: University of Houston Law Center
Alex J. Brown is the Managing Attorney of the Lanier Law Firm’s Commercial Litigation section. He represents companies and individuals in federal and state courts across the country at both the trial and appellate level, and in domestic and international arbitration forums.
Prior to his commercial litigation practice, Alex represented large groups of clients in national/multi-district product liability litigation (MDL) and served on the Talc MDL trial committee. He also represented individual clients in federal and state courts across the country at both the trial and appellate level, and in domestic and international arbitration forums.
Alex served on the trial team, working on two Pinnacle hip implant trials in 2016 that resulted in newsworthy jury verdicts, and the Actos drug trial in 2014 that resulted in one of the largest verdicts in the country that year. Alex was recognized for his work on these cases with Mark Lanier by VerdictSearch, The National Law Journal, Texas Lawyer and The Legal 500 publication - the world’s largest legal referral guide.
Prior to joining The Lanier Law Firm, Alex was a partner in the Houston office of one of the oldest and largest law firms in Texas. There, he represented multi-national corporations in complex business disputes involving international project development, partnerships, oil and gas ventures, corporate governance and shareholder’s rights, real estate development, and mass tort litigation.
For years, Alex has been selected as a “Texas Rising Star” by Thomson Reuters and as a “Texas Super Lawyer” in 2017 and 2018, as published in Texas Monthly. For nearly a decade, he has maintained an AV Preeminent® ranking among his peers, which is awarded by Martindale-Hubbell to those attorneys whose peers rank them “at the highest level of professional excellence for their legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards.” America Lawyer Media recognized Alex several years among the Top Rated Lawyers for International Law & International Trade.
Alex is a native Houstonian who is licensed in Texas and New York. He is admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Southern, Northern and Eastern District of Texas as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
First Admitted: 2000, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.lanierlawfirm.com/attorney/alex-brown
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2017-2020
- Texas Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2006-2007, 2009-2014
- Top Rated Lawyers for International Law & International Trade by The American Lawyer, 2013-2016.
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Alex was heavily involved with Mark Lanier in his firm’s multi-district/mass tort litigation practice where he was responsible for getting the firm’s largest cases ready for trial. Those cases include the Actos bellwether trial in 2014 where they won won a $9 billion jury verdict; and the recent Pinnacle bellwether trial where they won a $502 million jury verdict and a $1 billion jury verdict.
- Two of his larger cases include the Actos bellwether trial in 2014 with Mark Lanier where they won a $9 billion jury verdict and the recent Pinnacle bellwether trial with a $502 million jury verdict.
- Alex helped secure a $1 Billion combined jury verdict in a products liability case over defective hip implants against defendant DePuy Orthopaedics Inc., a subsidiary of health care giant Johnson & Johnson. December, 2016
- American Inns of Court, Member
- Admitted 2007 in New York
- American Bar Association – Business Torts Committee, Member
- Admitted 2000 in Texas
- American Association of Justice, Member
- International Dispute Resolution Centre
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Tech University, BA, magna cum laude
- University of Houston Law Center, JD, 2000
- On numerous occasions, Mr. Brown has represented charities and individuals in need who are unable to pay for his services.
- Co-lecturer on the practical aspects of international arbitration, Chevron Corporation, Speaker, The Anatomy of International Arbitration, 2008
- Panel member, CLE program, Speaker, Arbitration: Is it the right forum for your dispute?
- Commentary in the Houston Business Journal, Author, Minor Lawsuits can block real estate transactions
- Alex has given several lectures at continuing legal education seminars and his work has been published in the Houston Business Journal., Speaker/Author, CLEs
- Bellwether plaintiffs in the Pinnacle Metal-on-Metal hip replacement litigation, 2016
- A bellwether plaintiff in the Actos litigation, 2014
- The family of an oil rig worker who was killed on a drilling rig
- A man who lost his leg due to a rifle misfire
- The family of a man killed in an airplane crash
- A Texas energy company in ICC and ICSID arbitration proceedings against the Federal Government of Nigeria
- Government of Nigeria
- A motor cross track sued by an injured rider
- Securities traders against a securities trading company
- A U.S. retailer in a case against a Chinese manufacturer
- A CEO who was sued by a minority shareholder
- An oil and gas interest owner who was sued under a joint operating agreement
- A creditor’s committee sued for alleged violations of a bankruptcy plan of reorganization
- A land investor against the organizers of the Circuit of the Americas race track
- A developer who was sued by his former partner regarding a Lake Travis development project
- A national packaging company for alleged violations of a non-compete agreement
- Landowners whose oil and gas properties were damaged by a multi-national oil company
- A stockbroker who was sued by his clients for mishandling their trading accounts
- A national real estate investment trust sued by a retail tenant for millions of dollars
- A royalty owner in a lawsuit against the operator of his oil and gas wells
- Commercial Real Estate
- International Trade
- Medical Devices
- Oil And Gas
- Private Equity
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2006 - 2007, 2009 - 2014