Barclay R. Nicholson
Top rated Civil Litigation attorney in Houston, TexasSheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton
Practice Areas: Civil Litigation, Business Litigation, Energy & Natural Resources
Licensed in Texas since: 1999
Education: University of Houston Law Center
Barclay Nicholson is a partner in Sheppard Mullin's Houston office, where he focuses his practice on commercial disputes. He has represented a broad range of clients from Fortune 50 Companies to individual business owners. He has significant experience in handling energy related litigation and construction litigation cases and has represented some of the world's major oil and gas producing and refining companies.
Barclay has handled commercial cases that involve amounts exceeding one billion dollars. He has represented clients in numerous proceedings both in the United States (in federal and state courts) and abroad (in the LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL and ICDR). Additionally, he has represented clients before various administrative and congressional oversight boards.
First Admitted: 1999, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.sheppardmullin.com/bnicholson
- American Bar Assoication, International Energy & Natural Resources Committee, Vice-Chair (2011-2013); Energy Litigation Committee, Senior Leadership and Programs Chair (2013- 2014); Business Torts Litigation Committee, Committee Leadership (2011 - 2012); International Law Section, Steering Group (2014 - 2015); State Bar of Texas Litigation Section; College of the State Bar of Texas (2006 - 2013); Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas (2006 - 2013); Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow; Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow; Houston Bar AssociationChair of the Litigation Section (2013 - 2014); Chair-Elect of the Litigation Section (2012 - 2013); Continuing Legal Education Committee (2011 - 2012); The General Counsel Forum Board Member and Corporate Secretary (2013 - 2014).
- Chambers USA(2011- 2014) Strauss Fellow, Next Generation Project Texas, LBJ School of Public Affairs, University of Texas "Texas Rising Star," Commercial Litigation Law & Politics (2005 - 2010, 2013) "Houston's Top Lawyers," H Texas Magazine(2006 - 2009, 2013- 2014) Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals (2008 - 2014); Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis (2014); Irish Legal 100 (2014); Who's Who in Energy (2013).
- "Facing Focus Shifts to Water," Oil & Gas Investor, February 2012 "Fracing Focus Shifts to Water," Unconventional Oil & Gas Center, February 8, 2012 Co-author, "Department of Interior Releases Draft Rule of Well Stimulation," Fulbright Briefing, February 10, 2012 Interviewed, "Analysis: Green Groups Find Success Fighting Shale Oil Boom," Reuters, December 27, 2011 also published on Yahoo! News, MSNBC"Trends Emerge on Hydraulic Fracturing Litigation," Oil & Gas Journal, December 5, 2011 Issue Co-author, "Texas Railroad Commission Adopts Hydraulic Fracturing Chemical Disclosure Rule, Effective February 1, 2012," Fulbright Alert, December 14, 2011 Co-author, "Hydraulic Fracturing Studies Release Preliminary Plans and Initial Reports," Fulbright Briefing, November 15, 2011 "Texas Passes Law Requiring Disclosure of Chemicals Used in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid," The Houston Lawyer, September/October 2011 Co-author, "Tracking Fracking Case Law: Hydraulic Fracturing Litigation," Natural Resources & Environment Magazine, Fall 2011 Co-author, "Texas, Other States Move Forward With Hydraulic Fracturing Disclosure Regulations," Fulbright Briefing, October 13, 2011 Co-author, "Analysis of Litigation Involving Shale & Hydraulic Fracturing," Fulbright White Paper, September 28, 2011 Co-author, "Texas Supreme Court Issues Three Key Energy Opinions in August," Fulbright Briefing, September 15, 2011 Author, "Key Issues Plague the Eagle Ford shale play in South Texas," Houston Business Journal, week of August 19-25, 2011 Interviewed, "Examining Texas' Hydraulic Fracturing Disclosure Law," E&P Magazine, Hart Energy, August 2, 2011 Co-author, "Texas Joins States Requiring Disclosure of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids," International Law Office, June 27, 2011 Author, "Hydraulic Fracing: An Overview of the Issues," Trends in Energy Disputes 2011, Fulbright & Jaworski, June 8, 2011 Co-author, "Texas Legislature Joins Growing Number of States in Requiring Disclosure of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids," Fulbright Briefing, June 16, 2011 Co-author, "U.K. House of Commons Committee Urges Support for Shale Gas Extraction," Fulbright Briefing, June 6, 2011 Co-author, "Duke University Releases Study Reporting Methane Contamination in Areas of Natural Gas Extraction," Fulbright Briefing, May 11, 2011 Co-author, "FracFocus Website Launched As Hydraulic Fracturing Chemical Disclosure Registry," Fulbright Alert - Shale and Hydraulic Fracturing Task Force, April 12, 2011 Co-author, "Texas Supreme Court Defers to Railroad Commission's Interpretation of 'Public Interest' in Injection Well Permit Decisions," Fulbright Briefing, March 28, 2011 "Fracking and the Courts," Oil and Gas Investor, July 2010Harris County Bench BookEditor in Chief, 2007 Editor, 2004 - 2006 Contributing Writer, Property Loss Research Bureau, (PLRB/LIRB) First Party Litigation Manual, 2006 Contributing Writer, Property Loss Research Bureau, (PLRB/LIRB), Claims Conference & Insurance Service Expo, 2004 Co-author, The Fourteen Points: How to Prepare for Deposition or Trial Testimony in First Party Insurance Litigation, American Bar Association Annual Meeting, New York City, 2002 , Author, See summary, see summary, Oil And Gas, Energy, Litigation, 2012
- Hydraulic Fracturing
- Oil & Gas
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2005 - 2010, 2013