Partner Courtney D. Scobie represents clients in Houston, Texas, in matters related to business litigation, commercial litigation and arbitration, along with federal government investigations. During her successful career, she has gained experience on matters such as theft and fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, legal malpractice, trade secret misappropriation, copyright infringement, and securities class actions.
Ms. Scobie attended the University of Texas at Austin, where she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts and the highest honors in 1999. She then moved on to law school at Georgetown University and earned her Juris Doctor in 2004. Admitted to practice in the state of Texas, she is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
A member of the State Bar of Texas, Ms. Scobie is also actively involved with the Houston Young Lawyers Association’s Adopt-an-Angel Committee and Leadership Academy. As a member of the Houston Bar Association, she was worked on the AIDS Outreach Committee as the chair and the Continuing Legal Education Committee. The organization named her a President’s Award Recipient in 2017.
She has worked with clients in many industries and sectors, including healthcare, financial services, technology and energy. Passionate about giving back to her community, Ms. Scobie has worked on several pro bono matters with the Houston Bar Association and the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program. After Hurricane Katrina, she did pro bono work and assisted clients in family court.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation
- 100% Business Litigation
First Admitted: 2004, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.ajamie.com/lawyers/courtney-d-scobie/
- Houston Volunteer Prosecutors Program
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2014-2017
- Houston Bar Association (CLE Committee 2014-2015, AIDS Outreach Committee Chair 2016-2017, President’s Award Recipient 2017-2018)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, including the Leadership Academy and the Adopt-an-Angel Committee
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Texas, 2004
- Co-Author, “Will Rule 10b-5 Go Global? The Status of Private Rights of Action after Morrison v. National Australia Bank,” The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Vol. 59, Summer 2012
- “An Interview with Courtney D. Scobie,” Best Lawyers, July 13, 2018
- “Protecting Against an FCPA Violation Through a Third-Party Agent,” ABA Energy Litigation Website, June 28, 2012
- “Houston Appeals Court Overturns Oil and Gas Royalty Verdict,” ABA Energy Litigation Website, June 28, 2012
- “The Keystone XL Pipeline Faces a New Challenge,” ABA Energy Litigation Website, October 22, 2013
- Co-Author, “Benefits of Preventative Legal Counselling,” BUSINESS RESOURCE: Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution 2016
- Co-author, Expert Witnesses, Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Fourth Edition
- University of Texas, B.A., with highest honors and Phi Beta Kappa, 1999
Office location for Courtney D. Scobie
711 Louisiana St
Houston, TX 77002
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2017