Harvey G. Brown, Jr.
Top rated Appellate attorney in Houston, TexasThe Lanier Law Firm
Practice Areas: Appellate, Personal Injury, Business Litigation
Licensed in Texas since: 1981
Education: The University of Texas School of Law
Harvey Brown joined the Lanier Law Firm in 2019 and is a former state appeals court judge and former state district court judge in Harris County. Judge Brown served on the First Court of Appeals bench from 2010-2018. During his tenure, he was named Appellate Judge of the Year by the Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists and Mentor of the Year by the Houston Young Lawyers Association and Texas Young Lawyers Association. He authored more than 1,000 opinions on the court. Judge Brown also served as a member of the Multidistrict Litigation panel for Texas since 2014.
Since Joining the Lanier Law Firm, he has worked in its appellate section. Judge Brown won a number of motions in a Utah state court, an appeal of the dismissal of a lawsuit in the Fifth Circuit, a case in New York regarding millions of dollars in attorneys' fees, and an insurance coverage lawsuit in the First Court of Appeals. Judge Brown was the primary author of the brief in the Missouri court of appeals on the talc litigation involving J&J Baby Powder; the firm recovered over $2 billion after Missouri Supreme Court refused to consider the appeal and the U.S. Supreme Court rejected J&J's petition for a writ of certiorari raising three constitutional challenges to the judgment. He has attended three jury trials as appellate counsel, drafted numerous jury charges in state and federal courts in different states, and handled numerous motions in Texas state and federal courts along with providing assistance in mock trials, mock arbitrations, and moot courts. He is currently assisting appellees-plaintiffs in an appeal of a personal injury verdict of over $300 million.
Judge Brown previously presided over the 152nd District Court in Harris County for more than six years, heard more than 150 jury trials and 200 bench trials, and served as the chair of a panel that administered the diet drug product liability litigation in Harris County.
Before his judicial service, he was in private practice for more than 20 years, handling both trials and appeals. He was also appointed as a special master in a case and also frequently retained as an arbitrator and mediator. He offers a wealth of expertise and insight for Lanier’s clients in litigation and appellate matters, as well as mediation and arbitration.
Judge Brown is Board Certified in Personal Injury Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is a member of the American Law Institute, the Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee, the Texas State Bar College, the Texas Center for Legal Ethics, the Garland Walker American Inn of Court, and the Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists. He is also a life member of the Texas Bar Foundation and the Houston Bar Foundation.
A native Texan, Judge Brown earned his undergraduate degree from The University of Texas in 1978, graduating with high honors and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his law degree, with honors, from The University of Texas School of Law in 1981 and was a member of the Texas Law Review and the Order of the Coif.
First Admitted: 1981, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.lanierlawfirm.com/attorney/harvey-brown/
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America, 2006-present, Best Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2005, 2008-2010, 2023, Super Lawyers
- Appellate Judge of the Year by the Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- Mentor of the Year by the Houston Young Lawyers Association and Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Life member of the Texas Bar Foundation and the Houston Bar Foundation
- Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- American Law Institute
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics
- Texas State Bar College
- Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee
- As a former state appeals court judge and former state district court judge in Harris County, he authored more than 1,000 opinions on the court.
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- The University of Texas, graduating with high honors and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa, 1978
- Super Lawyers: 2003 - 2005, 2008 - 2010, 2023
Certificates and credentials
Personal Injury Trial Law