John F. Unger
Top Rated Transportation & Maritime Attorney in Houston, TX
Senior counsel at Royston Rayzor, John F. Unger represents clients in Houston, Texas, in legal matters related to toxic torts and environmental law, and admiralty and maritime law. In both state and federal courts, he is experienced in a variety of legal matters related to personal injury defense and nonpersonal injury litigation.
Mr. Unger attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he graduated with honors in 1978 with a Bachelor of Journalism. He then moved on to the University of Houston Law Center, where he graduated magna cum laude with his Juris Doctor in 1981. While in law school, he was editor of the Houston Journal of International Law, and he is currently an adjunct professor at the University of Houston Law Center.
A past chairman of the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Mr. Unger is a current member of the Propeller Club, the Defense Research Institute, the Texas Association of Defense Counsel, the State Bar of Texas, the American Bar Association and the Houston Bar Association. On the Maritime Personnel Committee of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, he is a Proctor Member. In Admiralty and Maritime Law, he was named one of the Best Lawyers in America in 2021.
He is admitted to practice in the state of Texas. Mr. Unger is also admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
About John F. Unger
First Admitted: 1981, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.roystonlaw.com/attorneys-45
- American Bar Association, Member
- Maritime Personnel Committee and Offshore Industries Committee, Member
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year - Admiralty & Maritime Law, Houston, 2012, 2021
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Past Chairman, Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Proctor of Admiralty, Maritime Law Association of the United States, Maritime Personnel Committee
- University of Texas, B.J., with Honors, 1978
- Adjunct Professor of the University of Houston College of Law
- Speaker, Houston Marine Insurance Seminar, "Overview of Selected Duties of Primary and Excess Underwriters"
- Editor, Houston Journal of International Law, 1980 - 1981
- Speaker, Houston Marine Insurance Seminar, "Texas Prompt Payment Statute"
- Speaker, World Trade Institute, "Introduction to Maritime Law"
- Speaker, National Business Institute, "Maritime Workers' Compensation in Texas"
- Speaker, Southeastern Admiralty Law Seminar, "Maintenance and Cure"
- Speaker, Southeastern Admiralty Law Seminar, "Vessel Seizures"
- Author, International Conflict of Laws - Common Civil and Maritime, Houston Journal of International Law Vol. 17 No. 2 Book Review, January 1, 1995
Pro bono/Community Service
- Defense Research Institute
- The Propeller Club
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- Texas, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Marine Transportation; Offshore Services
Last Updated: 5/15/2022