John H. Kim
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Houston, TexasThe Kim Law Firm
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, Products Liability, General Litigation
Licensed in Texas since: 1992
Education: South Texas College of Law Houston
The Kim Law Firm4309 Yoakum Boulevard
Houston, TX 77006 Phone: 713-522-1177 Email: John H. Kim Visit website
John H. Kim is a seasoned, respected civil trial lawyer who handles high-stakes litigation for international corporations and the most important case of their lives for individuals who have been injured by others. He practices in Texas, nationwide and internationally.
He has been named a Best Lawyer in America in the Commercial Litigation category by his peers. Recent past president of the Houston chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), elected nationally to be a trustee and 2022 President of the ABOTA Foundation. He was named 2018 Trial Lawyer of the Year by Texas ABOTA. He is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization – Personal Injury and he has the highest rating of AV Preeminent in the national Martindale–Hubbell legal directory. He also has been named to the Texas Super Lawyers list since it was first published in 2003 and named by that group as one of the Top 100 attorneys in Houston since 2013 and a Top 100 lawyer in Texas in 2015. And he was named a Benchmark Litigation Litigation Star 2013-2017 for accomplishments in general commercial litigation cases, as well as personal injury and product liability claims.
The firm Mr. Kim has created has been honored as a 2017 Best Law Firm by U.S. News & World Report and The Best Lawyers in America. That honor was for Tier 1 in business litigation in the Houston metropolitan area. The firm also has been on a list of recommended national law firms for several years by Benchmark Litigation, a peer-review guide to leading U.S. lawyers and law firms.
Mr. Kim has handled complex civil cases for businesses and individuals, including energy-sector litigation, antitrust, breach of contract and trademark cases. He also has handled many product liability, pharmaceutical and catastrophic injury/death trials, in addition to being appointed to MDL committees and as Class Action Counsel.
He received his J.D. from South Texas College of Law, where he was an ABA National Moot Court Champion, a member of the law review and received multiple honors, including Phi Delta Phi, Order of Lytae and Order of Barristers. He earned his B.B.A. in International Marketing from the University of Texas.
Mr. Kim is a member of the Planning Committee of the Center for Legal Responsibility, Texas Bar Foundation – Life Fellow, Texas Trial Lawyers Association Board of Directors, Houston Trial Lawyers – Board of Directors, Asian-American Bar Association – Board of Directors, and State Bar Grievance Committee. He also is a Moot Court Adviser for South Texas College of Law and a member in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and a Platinum Member of The Verdict Club. He earned selection to the “Who’s Who in Energy” list of energy industry leaders in seven major U.S. cities in 2012-2014.
He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and admitted to practice before the U.S. Federal Courts of Appeal for the 5th and 7th circuits, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Kim has been active in causes he cares about. He participated in the tort reform fight in the Texas Legislature and testified for the Autism Society of Texas on the impact of proposed legislation regarding autistic children. He has also been involved in the proposed federal legislation surrounding the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.
First Admitted: 1992, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://thekimlawfirm.com/attorneys/john-kim/
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, 1992, J.D.Honors: Phi Delta Phi Academic Honor FraternityHonors: Order of Lytae Academic Honor FraternityHonors: Order of BarristersHonors: ABA National Moot Court ChampionLaw Review: South Texas College of Law, Law Review ; University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1983, B.B.A.Honors: Phi Eta Sigma Academic Honor FraternityHonors: Alpha Lamda Delta Academic Honor FraternityMajor: International BusinessMajor: Marketing
- 2018 Trial Lawyer of the Year by Texas ABOTA; Best Lawyer in America, Commercial Litigation; 2016- 2018 Martindale–Hubbell AV Rated; Texas Super Lawyers since 2003; Texas Super Lawyers Top 100 lawyers in Houston since 2013; Texas Super Lawyers Top 100 lawyers in Texas 2015; Benchmark Litigation 2013-2017 Litigation Star; International Who’s Who of Professionals; “Who’s Who in Energy” list of energy industry leaders in seven major U.S. cities 2012-2014; Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation; Life Fellow, Houston Bar Association
- Waste Management, Inc.; Texas Standard Oil Co.; Resco Holdings, Inc.; Trifecta Oil; MOSH Holdings; Chemtrusion; CST; Valero; Dynamic Global Advisors; Gap Engineering; Geoscience Resource Recovery; Pathfinder Oil and Gas, Inc.; Itasca Energy, LLC; PRC Environmental, Inc; NAPA; Phase One Technologies; PreCheck, Inc.; South Oil, Inc.; US Imaging;
- ABOTA (Houston Chapter Treasurer 2010, President-Elect 2011, President 2012) Fellow : Texas Bar Association and Houston Bar Association
- Upon Request
- Board Certified Personal Injury - Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Oil & Gas
- Super Lawyers: 2003 - 2023
Top ListsTop 100: Houston Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023
- Top 100: 2023 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2022 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2021 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2020 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2019 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2017 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2015 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2014 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2013 Houston Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2012 Houston Super Lawyers