Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Houston, TX
Selected to Rising Stars: 2018
The founder of his own firm, Jon Stephenson Law, based in Houston, Texas, Jon Stephenson has been certified as a specialist in criminal law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He provides assistance to area residents who are facing criminal charges that have been handed down by the state of Texas or the federal government. The types of cases that Mr. Stephenson has handled have included driving or boating while intoxicated by alcohol or drugs, sex crimes, fraud, embezzlement and other white collar offenses, drug possession and distribution, murder and other violent crimes, robbery, environmental crimes and weapons offenses. He has been able to obtain acquittals and negotiate favorable plea agreements with prosecutors for many of his clients.
Mr. Stephenson has a plaintiff's personal injury and wrongful death practice as well, representing people who have been harmed by the negligence of other parties. He has obtained sizable settlements and jury awards in cases involving trucking and other motor vehicle accidents and other types of incidents.
Highly regarded by his fellow attorneys, Mr. Stephenson has received a "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo. He has also been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, and he has been named one of the state's Top 10 Criminal Defense Attorneys Under Age 40 by the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys. He is admitted to practice before all Texas state courts and before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Mr. Stephenson attended Graceland University as an undergraduate, majoring in English literature and receiving a Bachelor of Arts cum laude in 2001. He obtained his legal education at the University of Houston Law Center and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 2004. His criminal law experience includes his work in various divisions of the Harris County District Attorney's Office.
- 80%Criminal Defense
- 20%Civil Litigation: Defense
Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Sex Offenses, Theft, Criminal Domestic Violence
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2018
Certificates and Credentials
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
About Jon Stephenson
First Admitted: 2004, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://jonstephensonlaw.com/profile/
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers – (2013)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers – (2014)
- Top 10 Criminal Defense Attorneys in Texas - The National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys – (2014)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers – (2016)
- Graceland University, Lamoni, Iowa. B.A. English Literature, (Cum Laude) (1999-2001);
- Howard Payne University, Brownwood, Texas (1998-1999)
- United States District Court, Southern District Of Texas (2010)
- State Bar of Texas (2004)
- National District Attorney’s Association – Strategic Cross-Examination Training Course (2008)
- Texas District and County Attorney’s Association – Prosecutor Trial Skills Course (2008)
- Houston Police Department Academy – Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 18 – Search Warrants (2011)
- Harris County Municipal Bar Association – Discovery and the Michael Morton Act – (2014)
- Texas DWI Defense Lawyers Association – Mastering DWI Defense – Boating While Intoxicated – (2014)
- Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization - Criminal Law
- @ogcoffdaddy @zspryszak @GracelandU_MBB When we were there it was Big Macs
- Study Links Clinical Depression To Getting Dunked On @Coach_JJames @ogcoffdaddy - I am concerned for both of you ba… https://t.co/jwnHP3QHD5
- @ogcoffdaddy @Coach_JJames Again......
- AZA Beats the Odds for Energy Company in Tragic Oklahoma Explosion - AZA Law https://t.co/mcqLcfzkS7
Last Updated: 6/25/2022