Kalandra N. Wheeler
Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Houston, TX
Selected to Rising Stars: 2017 - 2019
Kalandra N. Wheeler is a senior trial attorney with the law firm of Wiley Wheeler, P.C., in Houston, Texas. She serves clients throughout Texas with employment matters such as discrimination, unemployment, hostile work environment, wrongful termination, severance agreements and negotiations, retaliation, unpaid wages or overtime violations, workplace safety and hazards, and leave and reinstatement rights.
With over 15 years of experience fighting for her clients’ rights, Ms. Wheeler is board-certified as a specialist in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She has represented employee clients with claims involving Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Prior to practicing employment law, Ms. Wheeler began her legal career by practicing as a criminal defense attorney, fighting for her clients who were wrongfully convicted. This experience helped her take on cases against her employee clients’ big business employers.
In addition to her law practice, Ms. Wheeler offers knowledgeable counsel to her clients who have been discriminated in the workplace, who were wrongfully terminated and who faced retaliation, as she is aware of the emotional and psychological impact these can have on an individual. Ms. Wheeler is the go-to lawyer for clients who need someone to fight for their rights and liberties aggressively.
Majoring in political science, Ms. Wheeler has a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Houston. She obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Arkansas School of Law with dean’s list honors. While in law school, Ms. Wheeler was the Midwest regional champions and national finalist of the University of Arkansas Thurgood Marshall Mock Trial Team. She was on the final eight list in the university’s William S. Sutton Trial Competition.
Ms. Wheeler was a student member of the W. B. Putman American Inns of Court and the Black Law Students Association. She was an intern for a prominent judge in the United States Bankruptcy Court and was nominated for the Jessup Moot Court Team.
Ms. Wheeler is admitted to practice before all of Texas and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas. She is an active member of several organizations such as the American Bar Association, National Employment Lawyers Association and its Houston Chapter, the Texas Employment Lawyers Association and the Houston Bar Association.
- 60%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 40%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment, Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Retaliation
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2017 - 2019
Certificates and Credentials
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Labor and Employment Law
About Kalandra N. Wheeler
First Admitted: 2005, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.wiley-wheeler.com/kalandra-n-wheeler.html
- State of Texas, 2005
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Employment Lawyers’ Association
- National Employment Lawyers’ Association – Houston Chapter
- National Employment Lawyers’ Association
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2018
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2016
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2014
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2014
- University of Houston, B.S. in Political Science, 2001
- Dean’s List (2002-2005) University of Arkansas Thurgood Marshall Mock Trial Team, Spring 2005, Mid-West Regional Champions, Fall 2004, National Finalist, Spring 2005, William S. Sutton Trial Competition – Final Eight, Fall 2003 Nominated for the Jessup Moot Court Team, Fall 2003 Student Member of W. B. Putman American Inns of Court, 2004-05 Black Law Students Association, Member Student Attorney – Federal Practice, Criminal Prosecution, and Civil Practice Clinics, 2003-2004 Intern – Judge Richard Taylor, United States Bankruptcy Court, University of Arkansas
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2017 - 2019
- Ms. Wheeler was voted by her peers to Fort Worth Magazine’s Top Attorney list in 2013., Top Attorney, Fort Worth Magazine, 2013
- Board Certified Specialist in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2019
Last Updated: 5/15/2022