Marjorie A. Murphy
Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Houston, TX
Selected to Rising Stars: 2004, 2009, 2011 - 2013
Attorney Marjorie A. Murphy is the founder of The Murphy Law Practice in Houston, Texas. Board-certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and possessing more than 20 years of legal experience, Ms. Murphy devotes her practice to advocating on behalf of employees who suffer serious violations of their rights as workers, including discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment and other grievances.
Holding the distinction of operating one of the only African American woman-owned law firms in Houston, Ms. Murphy maintains a particular focus on representing marginalized employees in a variety of industries. Although she prefers to settle matters outside of court whenever possible, she will not hesitate to take her clients' issues to trial in order to ensure they achieve the positive results they expect and deserve.
Early in her legal career, Ms. Murphy gained significant experience defending businesses and employers against employment law claims. As such, she has a wealth of invaluable knowledge and insight from both sides, which enable her to devise the most effective strategies possible for her plaintiff clients. Never satisfied with representing large corporations, she has found far more success and reward in fighting for individuals, and she has earned a reputation as a tireless and tenacious legal advocate who aggressively pursues the most favorable outcomes possible for those she serves.
A 1995 graduate of Georgia State University, Ms. Murphy attended Thurgood Marshall School of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor summa cum laude in 1999 and graduated as Valedictorian of her class. Along with practicing before all Texas state courts, she is also licensed to practice in Ghana, West Africa.
Honored for her outstanding professionalism and service, Ms. Murphy has earned numerous accolades from her peers along with many positive testimonials and referrals from her satisfied clients.
Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2004, 2009, 2011 - 2013
Certificates and Credentials
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Labor and Employment Law
About Marjorie A. Murphy
First Admitted: 1999, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.themurphylawpractice.com/attorney/murphy-marjori...
- Member: State Bar of Texas
- Texas, USA and Ghana, West Africa
- Attorney, Shook, Hardy & Bacon, LLP, Commercial and Employment Associate. (1999-2001)
- Attorney, Seyfarth Shaw, LLP, Law firm specializing in employment litigation. (2003-2009)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston – Downtown (2015-to date)
- The Murphy Law Practice, PLLC – managing attorney (2010- to date)
- Selected: Houston Rising Star – 2004, 2009, 2011, 2013 (Thomson Reuters service)
- Selected: Super Lawyer 2018 (a Thomson Reuters service)
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law, J.D., 1999, Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian
- Georgia State University, B.A., Political Science, 1995
- Board Certified in Labor & Employment by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2017
- Personal Injury
- Tort (wrongful Death Claims)
Last Updated: 5/15/2022