Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Houston, TX
Selected to Rising Stars: 2010 - 2011, 2014 - 2015
Matthew Skillern is the founder and lead attorney of the Skillern Firm in Houston, Texas. Mr. Skillern practices family law and his experience at contested custody and divorce hearings has earned him a reputation as one of the area’s most skilled family law litigators. He and his legal team are also experienced in family law areas, including adoption, alimony, child support, pre and post-nuptial agreements, property division and spousal support.
After first attending Tyler Junior College, Mr. Skillern earned a bachelor’s degree in political science from Baylor University and went on to graduate from South Texas College of Law Houston. He has been licensed to practice law in the state of Texas since 2003 and is also licensed to appear before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Following law school, Mr. Skillern gained legal experience as a prosecutor in the district attorney’s office of Smith County, Texas. He later relocated to Houston and spent time working in the area of criminal defense before founding his firm, which is solely dedicated to the area of family law.
Enthusiastic about sharing his legal knowledge, Mr. Skillern spoke at a continuing legal education seminar presented by the Houston Bar Association on the intersection of criminal and family law in 2014. He is active in his professional community serving as a member of the Fort Bend County Bar Association. He is also an active member of the family law sections of the Houston Bar Association and the State Bar of Texas.
In January of 2020, Mr. Skillern earned the designation of Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization; an accomplishment that only 1% of family lawyers in Texas have achieved.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2010 - 2011, 2014 - 2015
Certificates and Credentials
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
About Matthew Skillern
First Admitted: 2003, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.skillernfirm.com/attorney/skillern-mr-matthew/
- Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section, Member
- Fort Bend County Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- U.S. District court Federal Southern District Court
- Houston Bar Association’s CLE May 9, 2014 “A Tale of Two Lawyers: Where Family and Criminal Law Intersects”
- Baylor University, Bachelor of Arts, Majors: Political Science, 2000
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2015
- Texas Super Lawyers, Texas Super Lawyers, 2019
- Texas Super Lawyers, Texas Super Lawyers, 2018
- Texas Rising Stars, 2015
- Texas Rising Stars, 2010
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2016
- Texas Rising Stars, 2014
- 10.0 superb rating, AVVO
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2017
- Texas Rising Stars, 2011
Last Updated: 5/15/2022