Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Houston, TX
The founder of Bragg Law PC, Melanie Bragg has a diverse general civil practice that encompasses several areas of the law. Located in Houston, Texas, her client base consists of individuals and businesses throughout the greater metropolitan region and out of state. Admitted to practice before all Texas state courts and Colorado, Ms. Bragg has received a 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo for her successful track record and high degree of ethics. She loves to problem solve and help clients navigate their way through the legal system.
Bragg is a longtime mediator and arbitrator and handles a wide variety of disputes, always working hard to ensure that the parties can resolve their differences in the most cost-effective and efficient way. From car wrecks, probate disputes, family law, real estate and business transactions, she is someone who can get the job done.
Ms. Bragg focuses a portion of her practice on estate planning and probate administration/litigation. In this regard, she has reviewed and prepared wills, trusts, financial and health care powers of attorney, and advance medical directives. When representing the beneficiaries of a decedent's will, she helps guide them through probate in order to ensure that the estate is properly administered and that the process is completed as quickly as possible. Ms. Bragg has handled hundreds of probate cases during her career, and her experience in probate court has also included being appointed as guardian ad litem for elderly clients whose mental and physical health has declined.
Bragg handles family law matters. For many years she has acted as Amicus Attorney on behalf of children in cases where they are too young to be allowed to express their own opinions before a judge. She helps you have as amicable a divorce as possible and can help you learn how to successfully co-parent.
Another aspect of Ms. Bragg's practice involves providing advice and counsel to entrepreneurs, starting with business formation and extending through contract review and regulatory compliance.
Her experience also includes criminal cases, juvenile and child protective services matters. A graduate of The University of Texas at Austin, where she majored in political science and received a Bachelor of Arts cum laude, Ms. Bragg's legal education came at the University of Houston Law Center.
- 30%Estate Planning & Probate
- 20%Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 20%Family Law
- 10%Real Estate: Business
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills, Arbitration, Mediation, Business Formation and Planning, Limited Liability Companies, Partnership, Sub-chapter S Corporations, Contracts, Business Organizations, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Juvenile Law, Name Change, Marital Property
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022
About Melanie Bragg
First Admitted: 1982, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.bragglawpc.com/attorney/melanie-bragg/
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Appointed to the Board of Trustees of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Elected American Bar Association House of Delegates Representative to the Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division
- Chair of the American Bar Association's Solo, Small Firm, and General Practice (GP Solo) Division, 2018
- University of Texas at Austin, Bachelor of Art in Political Science, cum laude., 1978
- I was asked to be on a panel at a writer's conference in West Virginia to speak on legal issues facing authors. I appeared via Zoom for that presentation with an agent and a publisher. , Speaker, Write Your Book in 90 Days, Author seminar in West Virginia, Sharon Jenkins, the Master Communicator, General Public, 2020
- I Know Somebody Houston is a non-profit women's networking event that I have spoken for and helped since it's inception. I did a covid legal talk to women owned businesses in Houston and did some volunteer pro bono work for the attendees., Speaker on legal issues-pro bono, I Know Somebody Houston Virtual Networking Event, I Know Somebody Houston, General Public, 2020
- I was asked to speak via Zoom on my Defining Moments book and I taught leadership principles and ethics from the book., Speaker, Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul, Philosophy, Ethics Society Club- Houston Texas, General Public, 2020
- I was interviewed for a Sheroes book about strong women leaders and I shared my leadership philosophy that will be in an upcoming book for women leaders on women leaders., Interviewee, Interview for Sheroes Book , Sharon Jenkins, the Master Communicator, Authors, 2020
- This was my first Zoom CLE for UTCLE and I did it on Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul. , Speaker, Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul, The University of Texas at Austin CLE Department, Legal, 2020
- I did another talk for the Houston Writers Guild on mindfulness for authors, how the power of meditation can really help you be a better author. It was well-received., Speaker, Mindfulness for Authors, Houston Writers Guild, Authors, 2020
- The Katy Bar Association has me speak every so often. This time I spoke on my ABA book, Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul. The program qualified for CLE. , Speaker, Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul, Katy Bar Association, Legal, 2020
- In this podcast I spoke about practicing mindfulness in the era of Covid-19 and debuted my NOW formula. Nurture yourself and others. Own the situation. And WIN! The members of the Division can listen to the podcast online. , Speaker, GP Solo Podcast on Mindfulness During Covid, American Bar Association Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division Podcast, Legal, 2020
- A fast-paced social/legal thriller with a spiritual twist. Alex Stockton’s impulsive decision catapults her into an unfamiliar world, an impossible trial, and her perfect trial record and judicial future hang in the balance. On a flight from New York to Houston, Alex Stockton, a successful young lawyer, meets Reverend Morse. He is in dire need of a lawyer to represent one of his foster home house parents, Jose Gonzales. The Reverend believes that Jose was falsely accused of sexually molesting Chris Jackson, a teenage boy, in Crosstown Park. He convinces Alex that Chris Jackson made the allegation against Jose because his uncle, Voodoo, is seeking revenge against the Reverend for disrupting his illegal drug and prostitution activities. Alex’s instincts take over and her long buried memories of her foster home background surface. Before the plane lands she has taken Jose’s case pro bono. She has six weeks to discover what happened in Crosstown Park between Jose and Chris. She teams up with Nic Wright, a handsome former cop turned security company owner, to save Jose and the poor children at Shepherd’s Cottages. As the case progresses, Alex’s life and perfect trial record is threatened. Not to mention her lifelong dream of becoming a judge. What she really needs is a witness… The sequel to this first book is almost ready to go to the publisher., Author, Crosstown Park, Koehler Books, 2013
- The ADD formula of effortless marketing is A- assess yourself, D- decide what works for you and D- Do it! The popular lecture given many times to a variety of audiences focuses on finding the best marketing efforts for your personality and goals and then helps the lawyer implement them in their practice., Speaker, Effortless Marketing: Putting Your Unique Qualities to Work, Law Practice Management Section- Houston Bar Association, Law, 2020
- Since January of 2017 Bragg has written a bi-monthly column on mindfulness for the eReport. The column focuses on Bragg's journey in the area of mindfulness and she shares resources and discoveries in an effort to help lawyers live their best lives. The column's during this year's pandemic were widely read and got reprinted in numerous other places. I am currently working on a mindfulness book. , Author, Mindfulness 101, Published by the American Bar Association Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division eReport, Legal, 2019
- Since 2013 Bragg has written a bi-monthly column in the GP Solo eReport. Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul is a leadership column focusing on lessons learned from lawyers and other success principles of leadership. It is an on-going column. These columns have been helpful to others. I know this by the comments I get. Since Coronavirus I have been writing a lot about what we are going through. The ABA has reprinted some of my articles and it is a great satisfaction knowing what I am doing is helping others., Author, Bi-monthly column: Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul, Published by the American Bar Association Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division eReport, Legal, 2019
- When HIPAA became law in 1996, the move already had begun from a paper-based patient data system to an electronic one. This migration poses complex security and privacy issues. Over the next six and a half years, the HIPAA implementation took place with the following goals in mind: -Improve access to health insurance -Minimize healthcare billing fraud, waste and abuse -Increase efficiency and effectiveness of the health care system., Author, HIPPA for the General Practitioner, Published by the American Bar Association Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division, Legal; Medical, 2009
- Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer’s Soul contains 42-inspired essays told by accomplished lawyers detailing their journey to conquer their fears, overcome obstacles, and to discover their true voices. The book serves as a roadmap for leadership and personal growth applicable to all audiences. Interviews by Melanie Bragg revealed that each lawyer has a “LEAD Line,” or success principle, that he or she has lived by on their path to success. This unique compilation is organized into Bragg’s own leadership model consisting of L-Legacy, E -Excellence, A -Authenticity, and D -Determination. Touching upon all aspects of our lives, the LEAD Lines are practical and inspiring principles that can take any aspiring person from where they are to where they want to be in life and in their professional careers. The stories are told by a wide range of lawyers – past ABA presidents, judges, big firm lawyers, small firm lawyers, non-practicing lawyers – what they all have in common is that ultimate success was driven by their “defining moments.” I have submitted a proposal to do a Defining Moments book on the covid situation for lawyers called Defining Moments for the Covid Lawyer's Soul with much the same format as the first Defining Moments book. It should be out next Spring if all goes as planned. , Author, Defining Moments: Insights into the Lawyer's Soul, Published by the American Bar Association Flagship Division, Legal, 2019
- Author, HIPAA for the General Practitioner
Pro bono/Community Service
- Pro Bono work to small business owners regarding staying in business and other issues they are having with covid., 2020
- Children at Risk, Public Policy Board. (group disbanded), 2016
- Elected as American Bar Association House of Delegates Representative for the Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division (3 year term). The House of Delegates is the governing body of the American Bar Association. We met live in February for the last time but we had a great virtual meeting at annual this year. The work of the ABA goes on and is even in overdrive during the pandemic. , 2020
- Texas Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees (3 year term) We are responsible for granting the annual funds to qualified access to justice projects around the state. We go over the grants and decide what to fund. Last year we gave out over $1.6 million in grants. We meet four times a year and it is a hard-working board., 2019
- Chair, American Bar Association Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division. As a past chair of the division and a member of the Executive Committee because of my position as House of Delegates, I am still very involved in the Division. I write a monthly column- one month on Defining Moments and one on mindfulness. And I am very involved with the Women's group that I formed five years ago and our annual event at the mid year meeting in February. We are in our fifth year and it is a very successful event each year. , 2019
- Fun in Los Cabos https://t.co/6l5QDZzgl5
- Great dinner at 7 Seas in Cabo! Food was delicious and the company even better! @ Cabo Surf Hotel https://t.co/Fpk1y02DfH
- Fun with our state bar president Sylvia Firth! https://t.co/XWZK87j53O
- @PGVanceII @RepAndyBarr @ABAesq @ABAGrassroots @LSCtweets Awesome group of leaders!
- Speaking on Lawyer Wellness today at the HBA Criminal Law Benchbar conference. Lawyers have a “duty of competency”… https://t.co/4SJGV4qyD8
Last Updated: 5/15/2022